1/700 HMS Ithuriel

robgizlu

Great work so far Rob and some great reference materials coming out of the color discussions for future builds all very helpful  :book:

And I only ever thought that they were all painted grey fascinating stuff 

beefy

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Michael M said:

I would brighten up those colours if I were you. What's OK on 100 meter ship doesn't always work 12 cm model. The scale effect it's called it think... ;)

Michael - I'm not sure if you're joking or whether there's not a twinkle in your eye ;)

When I put the Semtex on - I thought B...…… That's a bit garish!  I nearly redid it with a duller colour

I'm not an absolute fan of scale effect and the colours will definitely mute down with a filter and washes.  I've looked at your builds and you've really cracked the wash tones

I'll see how the MS3 contrasts (not a lot I suspect)

Rob

• Like 3

The point is that if you use lets call them 'original colors' you may end up with dark lump. What will look OK on 1:200 or 1:350 will not be the same on 1:700. Washes will only make it darker again, you have to anticipate that as well. In general if its too bright, darkening isn't really a problem. Unfortunately it doesn't work the other way around.... Contrasts are one thing, general darkness is the other. 

Don't you worry about twinkles, when my eyes are getting red, that's the scene in which you run hahaha ;) 

Edited by Michael M
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Our Ned said:

An undated photo showing part of her starboard side (with the same pattern as the photo taken in Malta) is at http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/download/file.php?id=118056&mode=view.

That is me/one of mine:  http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=42436&start=80#p784236

The photo is dated 16th November 1942

Edited by dickrd
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Michael M said:

The point is that if you use lets call them 'original colors' you may end up with dark lump. What will look OK on 1:200 or 1:350 will not be the same on 1:700. Washes will only make it darker again, you have to anticipate that as well. In general if its too bright, darkening isn't really a problem. Unfortunately it doesn't work the other way around.... Contrasts are one thing, general darkness is the other. 

Don't you worry about twinkles, when my eyes are getting red, that's the scene in which you run hahaha ;) 

You know it's amusing how different people all advocate different scale effects and suggest polar opposite ways to deal with the perceived problem!

As it happens, most agree that as multi-coloured objects are viewed from greater distances, their colours lose their distinction and blend. Indeed many model makers advocate blending colours together or diluting with grey in pursuit of "scale effect".

Washes need only darken if using dark washes. Light washes are equally possible and have the opposite effect.

This is 1/700 scale and as yet completely unblended with any after effects (which I shall use):

resized_4c156a50-ec11-49d7-83d2-94b34ed1

Likewise, this is also 1/700 and uses several of the same shades which Rob is considering. Each to their own etc but in my honest opinion trying to "brighten up" the base shades would be a rather unusual approach.

resized_aef4d4e4-1adf-40d1-91df-e1ecbf9b

• Like 6

So - using the pics suggested by @dickrd I kicked off the hull camo scheme using MS4 (lightest) with MS3 and 507A.  this is how I interpret the Starboard camo pattern

49195725781_341167a419_b.jpgDSCF8895 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

The Colourcoats spray SO well :clap2:

The contrast between Ms4 and MS3 is pretty minimal.

The kit scheme would have you do both forward guns in 507A but careful examination of the port view IWM picture confirms that they were in 2 shades virtually divided down the middle.

49195922332_c566d40584_b.jpgDSCF8892 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

49195224398_8ff65643de_b.jpgDSCF8891 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

And with some superstructure - she's coming together

49195922532_ff905ed0d1_b.jpgDSCF8889 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

49195224433_d7d81e0618_b.jpgDSCF8890 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

The mast is quite nicely done but obviously overscale - I tried out one of the Master masts with somme 0.33mm nickel cross trees.  hopefully the metal will stand up to gently tensioned rigging better?

49195725961_c0941c78a5_b.jpgDSCF8893 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

It's definitely feel your way along stuff.

I've sprayed up some elements on the fret which should reduce painting chores - anyone else do this?

49195922207_0560506d72_b.jpgDSCF8894 by Rob Matthews, on Flickr

I fear all the hard parts are drawing near :waiting:

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 11

34 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

I've sprayed up some elements on the fret which should reduce painting chores - anyone else do this?

Yes I do and then touch in where you end up chipping bits off after folding this always seams to happen with the smaller bits :hmmm:

beefy

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, JohnWS said:

Those are really tiny Oerlikons. :yikes:

10 hours ago, longshanks said:

Ah yes now I can see them !!

Ah the joy of 700 scale nearly as relaxing as 350 PE  :doh:

beefy

Merry Christmas Rob and best wishes for the new year  :drink:

On 12/24/2019 at 1:08 AM, JohnWS said:

Those are really tiny Oerlikons. :yikes:

Happy Christmas to you Rob.

Thanks John - and you are absolutley right - they are miniscule :lol:

On 12/24/2019 at 8:04 AM, longshanks said:

🔭

Ah yes now I can see them !!

Happy Christmas to you and yours

Kev

Thanks Kev

On 12/24/2019 at 6:31 PM, beefy66 said:

Ah the joy of 700 scale nearly as relaxing as 350 PE  :doh:

beefy

Merry Christmas Rob and best wishes for the new year  :drink:

I'm dreaming about 1/350 Beefy!!!  And thanks - :drink: With all the Football and Rugby - there have been a few beers.

DSCF8911

DSCF8912

DSCF8916

DSCF8915

Anfd vital tools for CA Gel Glue placement!!!  Accupuncture needles - available on Ebay - these are 0.25 x 40mm.

DSCF8917

DSCF8918

And nearly 90% done.....

DSCF8919

DSCF8920

Final touch up painting and adding the Carley rafts and we are done!

And if you hadn't already seen this from Jamie Duff then can I just say if you have any interest in Royal Naval WW2 paint schemes - it's a great buy for £10 - https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/sovereign-hobbies/products/cb3098-1943

A Very Happy new Year to you all.

Rob

• Like 12

A neat build - thank you for your postings.

Whilst the kit has many good points and seems reasonably accurate in most areas, there are some details which IBG appear to have omitted, that you might wish to consider:

The kit's bridge is almost devoid of fittings, apart from the director and rangefinder (Parts G9 and G22); in fact there were compasses, sights and other items here.

All the photos of the ship which I have seen, eg https://www.flickr.com/photos/ww2images/6854959786, showed splinter shields at the deck edge outboard of "A" and "Y" mountings.

All the photos of the ship which I have seen also showed TSDS winches outboard of the after shelter deck where the instructions show two depth charge loading racks should be fitted (Parts G25, PE29 and PE30) - also (just) visible in the above photo.   ITHURIEL's ready-use depth charges were stowed on their arbors, and are represented by Parts A8 and G24.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Great work Rob and with rigging well impressed and is that another build in the background in the photo with the acupuncture needles :hmmm:

beefy

Well spotted Beefy!  I'm limbering up for this....

2019-11-04_192958

2 hours ago, Our Ned said:

A neat build - thank you for your postings.

Whilst the kit has many good points and seems reasonably accurate in most areas, there are some details which IBG appear to have omitted, that you might wish to consider:

The kit's bridge is almost devoid of fittings, apart from the director and rangefinder (Parts G9 and G22); in fact there were compasses, sights and other items here.

All the photos of the ship which I have seen, eg https://www.flickr.com/photos/ww2images/6854959786, showed splinter shields at the deck edge outboard of "A" and "Y" mountings.

All the photos of the ship which I have seen also showed TSDS winches outboard of the after shelter deck where the instructions show two depth charge loading racks should be fitted (Parts G25, PE29 and PE30) - also (just) visible in the above photo.   ITHURIEL's ready-use depth charges were stowed on their arbors, and are represented by Parts A8 and G24.

Thanks Ned - That's helpful.  I completely get the bridge issue.  I've just gone through Starling, White Ensign, Sovereign and L'arsenal and can't source any "Bridge fittings".  Do you know of any?  People scratch them?.  The splinter shields are available and I'll get some.  I appreciate the winches issue - too late to change now but if i buid Glowworm - I'll try to see about that.

In many ways this was a atrial "proof of concept" build for me - Was it do-able and enjoyable ?  The answer to both being yes.

Rob

• Like 5