Sea Fury, HMS Glory air wing, Korean War

Lord Riot

I'm excited to be finally building a Sea Fury, it's such an iconic fighter and seems a very popular subject on the forum. I was delighted to find one of the options will complement my Firefly, being from the same carrier air wing. 

I've never made a Special Hobby kit before, but my first impression is a good one. The plastic looks nice and there are even some resin parts, and two vac-form canopies. Nice decals too, though I wish they included the Korea stripes as my painting skills aren't really up to something so straight! Anyone got any spares that would fit!?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

It's not a brilliant fit actually, but nothing a bit of filler and sanding couldn't fix. Needs particular care around the nose to squeeze in the prop disc at the right angle and distance from the opening. It's a tight fit so worth shaving a tiny bit off the circumference of the disc first.

spacer.png

The wings need a bit of encouragement to fit too. I used a mix of sky and yellow for the primer colour inside the wheel bays.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I might mask the whole area where the stripes will go as the gloss EDSG seems to resist any further coats on top of it. Looks like I'll have to try and handpaint them unless anyone makes decals for those?

spacer.png

• Like 5

Wrapped up again for the white of the stripes. I'll try and paint the black ones by hand. I had to use spray as the Humbrol acrylic white doesn't seem to take very well directly on plastic.

I hate handpainting large areas, always looks a mess with brush strokes and random gungy bits, then part of it goes sticky almost straight away and smudges when you overpaint another stroke. Spraying is much smoother.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Here's my attempt to paint the stripes. I still can't believe the manufacturer didn't provide decals for these.

Just done with masking tape and Humbrol black over sprayed satin white, one stripe at a time on each wing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

They need tidying up where there's been some seepage, but not as horrific as I was expecting. Should be able to touch them up with a bit of white. The middle white stripe on the fuselage is a bit too wide but I'll have to live with it now. Wing stripes seem ok.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

It might be too late but have you thought of using a white paint pen to mark out the lines. Sharpie, Edding, Pentel and several others do them in quite fine nibs down to about 0.5mm. I used a cream colour one to repair some damaged lining on one of my OO gauge steam locomotive models, it blended in quite nicely with the original printed lining.

This is similar to the type I used

Fine nib paint pen

• Thanks 1

Cheers chaps, no I just used paint, and looks like I didn't push the masking tape down firmly enough. I think with hindsight a paint pen would have been better, never thought of that! 

Hopefully with some dirt wash it won't look as bad.

• Like 1