Bandai X-Wing

Morning All,

Decided I'd have a bash at getting an X-Wing built for this GB. I picked the kit up from my LMS earlier this year with the intentions of starting this sooner.  But hey-ho

I'll be building this in between a few other kits. 

Here's the obligatory sprue shot mixed in the chaos that is the kitchen table. :) Though I'd re-watch the latest episode of the Mandalorian while I was at it. 

2019-11-28_10-19-00

Here's where I got too

2019-11-28_10-18-32

I have been pondering about how to paint the inner engines and recessed panels on the strike foils (a.k.a wings) For the recessed panels I'll being doing some sort of grey so they'll not match the rest of the foil. 

Thinking I might pre paint them all and then mask them off with Tamiya tape. 

Any thought or suggestions on the above more than welcome! 

Aaron

• Like 5

Morning All,

Have been plodding along with gluing bits together. Finished assembling the attack foils and about to start painting the inner recessed panels.

I do have a question about the engine bay bits that are on the inter foil surface... Am I right in thinking these should be painted the same colour as the rest of the ship? Rather than a metallic / engine-y colour? 

2019-12-05_09-19-11

I'll tackle the cockpit and pilot painting at the same time as doing those panels. Then I reckon, mask off the panels before fully building everything else up. 

Aaron

• Like 2

I painted mine as an actual engine. The rebels were known for stripping fighters down to the bare essentials for ease of maintenance. By removing the engine covers and leaving the engine exposed would be accurate. However it is your model and if you want to paint it the same fuselage/foil base white/grey then go for it. 

Got some paint down yesterday. Various shades of grey have been splashed around the cockpit and the inter panels. And a black wash added to the panels. 

2019-12-09_12-25-04

Hoping to get the rest of the cockpit finished off tonight so I can carry on with the assembly. 

The pilot will take a little longer to tackle but can pop him in later. 

Thoroughly enjoying this so far. I can see a Tie Interceptor on the horizon...

Aaron

• Like 3

Finished off the pilot last night, pretty please with how he's turned out.

Enjoyed painting the helmet visor. Tried something a little fancy... Base coated with silver then given a coat of Tamiya clear yellow. Then added a band along the top with some Tamiya smoke to try and add a more tinted look. 
(I had intended to use clear orange, but turns out I don;t have any) 

2019-12-10_07-01-06

2019-12-10_07-00-35

Cockpit is near enough finished and made a start at marking off the previously painted grey inter panel section. 

Anybody what to have a guess at whose X-Wing I'm planning on doing? Correct answer wins a Scooby Snack*

Aaron

* Prize has no monetary value
   May not be exchanged
   Only available on participating modelling forums

• Like 5

Thank you all for the kind words :)

Got it assembled now and looking very much like an X-Wing. Yay

Masked off the canopy and glued into place. Ran a little bit of Mr Hobby dissovleable putty around the join between the two clear parts as there was a gap, and also in a few over places around there nose so the fit between some of the parts will look more like panel lines now... hopefully.

Thanks for looking.

2019-12-11_09-48-42

Aaron

• Like 7