"Cold and wet" (Gis, 1/35, CMK)

iwik

Hi guys!

Here's my latest. A really beautiful and original 1/35 WWII GIs from CMK. As soon as I saw it, I knew what to do with it.

So here he is, on guard duty, cold and wet...

IMG-3397.jpg

IMG-3398.jpg

IMG-3399.jpg

IMG-3400.jpg

IMG-3402.jpg

IMG-3403.jpg

IMG-3404.jpg

Hope you like it!

Ciao

IWik

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

I first looked at the photos and thought the rain effect on the floor was genius. I then looked at the photos larger and am utter amazed at the detail. The soaked shoulders on the coat and the wall under the pipe are just stunning. Chapeau.

Hi guys!

Glad you like it!

The set is a slighlty modified Black Dog set. I only added the gutter and dug the large holes where the pools are. I filled those with normal resin to have a perfectly flat surface. Then I painted them with an airbrush, adding depth to them.

Then I applied generous layers of gloss varnish.

For the ripples, I lightly pressed some punch and die sets of three different diameters. I recommend using metal tubes instead, as punch and die, if pressed a bit too hard do what they are meant to do.... punch holes. Hence the german Jerrycan... oops.

Then I drilled 0.3 mm  holes in the center of each ripples.

On the side, I streched a 0.3 mm  fishing line between two small pliers HORIZONTALLY, and then ran the tip of a cyano tube along the line. Tiny drops appear! If you do it vertically, tiny drops tend to come down the line and form bigger droplets. You don't want that.

After it dried overnight, you just cut small bits of it and glue them in place. On the ponds and elsewhere as well.

Really simple actually...

Ciao

IWik

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Beautiful build and love the rain effect.

Only a minor point, the rifle sling should be leather. The canvas sling for the Garand wasn't introduced until Korea, before that 1903 Springfield slings were used.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:23 AM, John_W said:

Beautiful build and love the rain effect.

Only a minor point, the rifle sling should be leather. The canvas sling for the Garand wasn't introduced until Korea, before that 1903 Springfield slings were used.

Hi !

Apparently not. Thank God, you gave me a scare here...

https://www.ammogarand.com/m1-garand-wwii-dated-web-sling-original-usg1.html

https://www.armynavysales.com/gi-wwii-m1-garand-canvas-sling.html

http://forums.thecmp.org/archive/index.php/t-68503.html

Ciao

Iwik

An excellent diorama with a superb new technique in the raindrops.

One question from a non military person - in heavy rain, would he have his rifle slung muzzle down to stop rain going down the barrel, or have the barrel covered over, or would the amount of water getting in the barrel not make much difference?

Edited by Whofan

19 hours ago, Whofan said:

An excellent diorama with a superb new technique in the raindrops.

One question from a non military person - in heavy rain, would he have his rifle slung muzzle down to stop rain going down the barrel, or have the barrel covered over, or would the amount of water getting in the barrel not make much difference?

Hi!

Not sure either. There is a small cover cloth designed for the USM1 carbine, so I'm sure there is one for the M1, although I don't recall seeing any WWII pics with those...

There was no protection when troops landed in North Africa, , Italy, Normandy or in the Pacific, so I guess it wouldn't have made much difference...

Ciao

IWik

On 12/3/2019 at 8:47 AM, c0ldethey said:

Echoing the praise of the water droplets. The figure is painted with oils? The colors looks superbly smooth. 

Great work. 

No oils here.

I'm an acrylics kind of guy!

Ciao

IWik

• Thanks 1