BL755 use on GR1 Tornadoes?

Collin

On 4/3/2020 at 9:03 PM, xvtonker said:

With regards to your description of the airfield attacks, four aircraft with 8x1000lb bombs each suppressed the AAA batteries located either side of the main runway followed by four JP233 Tornado's taking out the hardstandings as the runways were deemed as being too easy to repair.

XVTonker

The RAF produced a recruitment film in the early eighties which demonstrated how the AAA might be suppressed with Garvey Island playing the part of an enemy SAM site.

Here is a runway that was hit by a cluster bomb, it doesn't say what type of CBU, but as you can see it did make a few divots on the surface:

DF-SD-03-01854.jpeg

a close up view:

DF-SD-03-01855.jpeg

with the holes and no doubt leftover pieces of metal from the bomblets, it would probably hinder runway operations. I remember one alert when i was stationed in West Germany, in a HAS just after loading/unloading a CF-18 (during alerts - except Day One when full loads were done - we would load half the weapons on and then take them off so the time would count as a full load). I went over to the pilot who was busy checking his target map just before launching and he showed me his target, an airfield and the aim point was the control tower. His simulated load was 4 BL755s which would have taken out the tower and made a mess of anything around it.

Jari

Jp233 contained delayed action cluster munitions alongside the penetrator munitions, the theory being they would deter repair....iirc the Hunting promotional film showed one taking out a bulldozer. Rumour has it the Iraqis simply swept them away / triggered them with a very high pressure hose...