BF-109 E7 "frankenstein Emil" info

Ale85

Hi guys, i'm actually building a Tamiya's Tomcat but my next project will be a famous Emil in the desert:

soggetto-originale-2.jpg

profilo.jpg

This aircraft is a kind of "Frankenstein" with the right wing coming from another aircraft. So, this is the questions: most of the sources gave as colours or the wing the old 71/02/65 (and i see lot of modeling in the web with this solution) camo scheme but the Montex mask sheet gave the latest camo in 74/75/76. 

1-48-bf-109e-7-tamiya.jpg

what's the correct scheme?

thanks in advance

Ciao

Ale

• Like 1

Don't know if there is a definite nor easy answer.  You would have to first determine the donor aircraft and which squadron it was from - likely JG 27?    Then trace back when they received their E-7's, and then determine factory finish.    Kagero illustrates them as 74/75/76, while the Jagdwaffe series from Classic Colours, has them in the earlier European scheme.

regards,

Jack

Was just skimming through Caldwell's book on JG 26, and their 7th Staffel was sent to Libya around late May 1941.  Their E-7's were not equipped with sand filters, resulting in aircraft serviceability lasting only about two months.  The squadron members returned to France in August, leaving their 'hulks' behind.  The author points out that their aircraft wore 74/75/76 scheme when sent to Sicily in February 1941. 

For argument's sake, let's say the other possible donor aircraft (I/ JG27) did have the earlier 71/02/65.   All I can say is, that there is less likely a chance that an intact wing could have been obtained from this unit, as they eventually repainted with desert colours (some already in Sicily) - timeline?   Though of course, we are talking about finding just one good wing in splinter finish.

Have also taken a look at the Jabo (bomber) unit itself, III/ZG1.  They were operating on the Eastern Front prior to being sent to Africa.  According to FalkeEins blog, this unit operated a mixture of Emils, along with some being handed down from other units that upgraded to new fighters.  Again,  I wouldn't be able say if either scheme was more predominant.

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2014/10/iii-zg-1-wespengeschwader-bf-109-e-7.html

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2010/06/photos-of-wespen-bf-109e-7-jabo-sub.html

regards,  

Jack

Edited by JackG
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, JackG said:

Was just skimming through Caldwell's book on JG 26, and their 7th Staffel was sent to Libya around late May 1941.  Their E-7's were not equipped with sand filters, resulting in aircraft serviceability lasting only about two months.  The squadron members returned to France in August, leaving their 'hulks' behind.  The author points out that their aircraft wore 74/75/76 scheme when sent to Sicily in February 1941. 

For argument's sake, let's say the other possible donor aircraft (I/ JG27) did have the earlier 71/02/65.   All I can say is, that there is less likely a chance that an intact wing could have been obtained from this unit, as they eventually repainted with desert colours (some already in Sicily) - timeline?   Though of course, we are talking about finding just one good wing in splinter finish.

Have also taken a look at the Jabo (bomber) unit itself, III/ZG1.  They were operating on the Eastern Front prior to being sent to Africa.  According to FalkeEins blog, this unit operated a mixture of Emils, along with some being handed down from other units that upgraded to new fighters.  Again,  I wouldn't be able say if either scheme was more predominant.

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2014/10/iii-zg-1-wespengeschwader-bf-109-e-7.html

http://falkeeins.blogspot.com/2010/06/photos-of-wespen-bf-109e-7-jabo-sub.html

regards,  

Jack

thanks a lot

ciao

Ale