Model building stage fright?

WelshZeCorgi

I think I have some sort of weird "stage fright" with model building. Not sure how else to describe it. Like when I want to build a model, I think about the amount of work that takes, then the times I screwed up and had to redo or scrap the project, the precious money and time that's potentially wasted, if I'm ever going to get any better at this, it just sort of spirals out of control from there. 

And in the end I don't get any work done and it's frustrating. I want to start cranking these models out. 

Has anyone ever experienced this? Did you get over it? How?

Thanks

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, WelshZeCorgi said:

Find something of interest,  but a kit you are not too bothered about,  don't over complicate,  make the goal getting it finished.

may I refer you to the only thing I have completed in a very long time,  

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235052380-hurricane-airfix-72nd-fabric-wing-mki-oob/

6 minutes ago, WelshZeCorgi said:

I want to start cranking these models out. 

see above.  

unless you are retired,  or idle rich, you just have not got time to do this, unless it's your job.   Cranking kits out will be easier if you build ones that can be built fast,   rather than updating old kits to a modern standard, or adding masses of extra detail or AM parts

I would also refer you to this, in light of some of the above

https://jonbryon.com/2018/06/19/on-increasing-productivity/

by @Jon Bryon

which has some interesting insights.   

HTH

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One thing that always stalls my starts at birth is planning how to do it better and reading up reviews, criticism of shapes, thinking fixes etc etc etc

then I learned to stop all that nonsense by just remembering a short bit of advice which I pass on to you in the hope it helps. 

Never let the perfect become the enemy of the good. 

Just pick one and crack on. If it’s not perfect then so what?  No such thing as a perfect build anyway so go and enjoy yourself. You might surprise yourself at the same time

• Like 9

The best is the enemy of the good.

My best-ever only managed a 3rd place at the local IPMS.

The goal is to relax. For some people, that's building a perfect model. For others, that's building as many as possible as quickly as possible. For me, it's doing the best I can and trying to learn something new or improve every time. And on any given model, that results in a few sparks of brilliance, a lot of OK, and a nugget or two of WTF. Those nuggets are the hardest to deal with, but just putting the model down or working on some other part is usually a good cure.

On my current build, I've been struggling with the canopy most of this month. But, Mr Color Thinner does a fine job of removing Mr Color paint, so I'm on my Nth attempt. Just this week I managed to induce a small stress crack in one of the parts. I'm vacillating between using my new-found vac forming skills and materials to make a replacement or living with it. Fortunately, the latter is the backup plan for the former. 

• Like 2

Perhaps get on board one of the many Britmodeller Group builds and build something straight OOB. There will be many others involved that will spur you on and it just might be what you need to get you out of your rut. It certainly worked for me.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 4

Actually, yes I suffer the same thing.  I am retired, well semi-retired, and I am idle - but definitely not rich.  I have 4 days a week to do modelling if I want to, but I struggle to spend 4 hours a week at it.  And so many books to get through ........

I find the size of my stash can be frightening (no, that isn't a euphemism!).  Oh my deity - how am I ever going to get through that lot?  Yet I keep buying more..........   I think they call that OCD........  And yes, seeing what others have done and knowing you can't do it as well can be very off-putting.  Standards and expectations today are high, and as you say there is a cost to that.  But this isn't a competition and you're not doing it for anyone else - you're doing it for yourself.  I've just sat staring at it, so to speak, for a couple of months without touching any of it, having ditched a WW1 double build I'd fallen out of favour with.

Every now and again I do some Warhammer 40K Ork stuff.  In fact I have 5 primed on the bench right now.  Why?  Because it's fun, different and immune from rivet-counting (OK - Orks have millions of rivets.....) and it's something to try out techniques on as Ork kit is generally scruffy and manky.  I get a satisfaction factor from it, which transfers across.

As for after-market parts like etch sets, you don't need to use all of them or even use them at all.  Plastic moulding has become much finer over time.  The finesse and detail of recent kits can be phenomonal without any improvement.  Look at the kit parts and decide if changing them will improve things.  I know my limitations with making-up etched parts and I know that I can easily make things worse, so I have a lot of etched parts left over.  I've just decided not to even open a couple of sets.  If you like vinyl tracks rather than hundreds of indy link parts, use them.  I cheat with pre-moulded after-market stowage sets because I can't make any better myself.  Metal gun barrels are usually a good bet to save joins and mould lines.  Copper tow cables are always useful, better than thread or moulded plastic.

As for finishing, you can drive yourself to a breakdown trying to copy the more artsy end of the spectrum. But why?  A nicely finished clean-looking vehicle is just as valid as one which has had every weathering technique known to man applied.  Every vehicle was clean and new at some point, or washed down or repainted along the way. Too many vehicles are over-weathered and entirely unrepresentative of their often short production or service lives.  Tiger IIs were only built for 14 months: yet how many are modelled like 10-year veterans?  In WW2, no Sherman was ever more than 3 years old and probably spent at least 6 months in transit and depots.

Pick something you fancy the look of, something you want to do, and just go with it.  Remember, it's just for you.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

I have absolutely no problem starting things. Finishing them is another thing entir.......

^^^ This.

I am the same. From my perspective, the block is paralysis by analysis - rather than just getting stuck in and enjoying the process, my thoughts move ahead to every little detail of the build and finish, taking up all of my attention and energy. The trick (and it's a hard lesson to learn, but worth it) is to focus on what you're doing now, not the myriad ways the build can go in the future.

Good luck!

• Like 5

Whoa - I think we all (well most) know this feeling well.  I go through this regularly & I know my mates @Lawzer & @badger have the same 'spells' of inactivity - but we all try to keep each others 'chins up' when things get in the way - I think it is usually 'life' in our cases - but good buddies are a definite plus point and who doesn't love a corgi in a hat ;) 

But - sometimes you can start a dozen builds and they all stall - maybe it's a certain part of the build process that causes the stall - have a think...

I seem to have no problem with - cleaning / gluing / priming / painting - BUT - then I come to weathering - but without 'chipping' and all that kind of stuff - that seems to be my stumbling block at the moment...

I get muddy vehicles with no rust or scratches and that is what seems to hold me back.  Canopies or any other kind of 'windows' seem to be another problem for me - hence my move towards tanks.

Ponder it - find the bit that holds you back - then either conquer it - or divert around it for a while.

Stay positive - Steve 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, WelshZeCorgi said:

I think I have some sort of weird "stage fright" with model building. Not sure how else to describe it. Like when I want to build a model, I think about the amount of work that takes, then the times I screwed up and had to redo or scrap the project, the precious money and time that's potentially wasted, if I'm ever going to get any better at this, it just sort of spirals out of control from there. 

And in the end I don't get any work done and it's frustrating. I want to start cranking these models out. 

Thanks

As you don't seem to be following your own post - see above and 'chin up' buddy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

I have absolutely no problem starting things. Finishing them is another thing entir.......

The trick here is to stop caring.  If it isn't finished, so what?  The rest of the world keeps on turning.  If you have committed yourself to someone - family, friend, or a building group on here, for example - then that's another matter.  You owe it to yourself, as well as anyone else.  But if not, it really doesn't matter.  The idea of a hobby is to do something interesting and enjoyable, preferably educational.  But if inspiration on one build flags, and you turn to another, then the first one will be there for you another day.  

However, that doesn't seem to be the original poster's problem.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John Laidlaw said:

…  my perspective, the block is paralysis by analysis - rather than just getting stuck in and enjoying the process, my thoughts move ahead to every little detail of the build and finish, taking up all of my attention and energy. The trick (and it's a hard lesson to learn, but worth it) is to focus on what you're doing now, not the myriad ways the build can go in the future.

Good luck!

I do that perpetually, and have come to accept that's the way I enjoy the hobby. research, cleaning & organizing, painting a bit here & there. then I look over at something which I began six months or seven years ago, and remember all the steps which got me there. once i'm at the 85% mark, I lose interest and begin something anew.

• Like 1

It happens to everyone at some point, the best thing is to just push through it. Pick a model and build it, then after your done evaluate it. Figure out what needs to be improved and what you did like about it. Then set about to fix those in future builds. As dnl says 

3 hours ago, dnl42 said:

it's doing the best I can and trying to learn something new or improve every time. And on any given model, that results in a few sparks of brilliance, a lot of OK, and a nugget or two of WTF. Those nuggets are the hardest to deal with, but just putting the model down or working on some other part is usually a good cure.

In a while re-do this kit with the new skills you've developed. When you have you can then compare the two. Oh and please don't hesitate to ask for help ? Many members will be glad to share all they know. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

I had and to a point still have these issues. But after modelling for 50 plus years I learned to

build for myself and stop competing with professional "museum quality" builders that do this

for a living. These sites are full of pros and I am not knocking them but I realize I am a intermediate

modeler and finally came to grips with it. I strive to do better each time but that's it. After 55 years

I finally know my limits. I now do subjects I like and when I get in a rut I jump around. I started out

in 1964 doing cars, monsters, ships, aircraft just about anything. So when I get tired of that F-104

I mosey on over to my '71 Superbird or my Panther steel wheel tank or maybe a hot rod or NASCAR.

I learned with a brush, now I spray, BUT with rattle cans. Still can't get the hang of an air brush. Just

do what you can, get stuck? Ask questions on this or other forums, don't give up, put it down and do

something else. Believe me in a week or two someone will throw you a few ideas on how to get unstuck

and you'll be back at it. The biggest thing is know your limits, build for yourself and what really bothered

me was criticism. Take it with a grain of salt, some of those handing it out can't build as good as they say.---John

• Like 7

I know, what you mean, WelshZeCorgi! You've spent XX amount on the kit, then you do a dog out of it. Or, you found a mistake in the design, and scratching your head how, or if, you're going to fix it. This is draining your energy.

Then look: Mr Troy Smith disregarded all that info about metal panels behind the guns on Hurricane's fabric wing (see his posted link). He done nice looking Hurricane, and all "red liners" didn't even noticed  !

So, just go for it....! :-))

Zig

• Like 2

As my good mate @BIG X has said above, I think most of us go through it at one time or another. I tend to find it's  more of a case when I put myself under pressure to try and finish something or hit a deadline.

I've found what works for me is to take a step back and do something just for fun (see my recent hobbit hole build in the diorama section which was the most fun build I've ever done).

Choose a genre that allows you to be creative without having to worry about accuracy, rivets, colour schemes, paint matches etc. 

Personally I build warhammer figures whenever I need a break from my tanks as they are pure sci-fi escapism. @Ratch idea of a simple out of the box build is also good.

Above all I hold to the mantra that it's a hobby and should be fun. Some people really enjoy sweating the details, others researching, building, painting etc so I would find the bit you enjoy the most and go with it.

Personally I enjoy the building aspect more than painting. I therefore have loads of unpainted models in my cabinet. Just because they aren't "finished" doesn't detract from the enjoyment I had in making them.

Hope this helps

Ben

• Like 5

1 hour ago, badger said:

Personally I enjoy the building aspect more than painting. I therefore have loads of unpainted models in my cabinet. Just because they aren't "finished" doesn't detract from the enjoyment I had in making them.

I like the idea of not hiding stuff away - but enjoying it for what it is.  I have a few things 'filed away' that actually look half decent - as they have reached the primer stage - which hides a lot of my glue overspills etc.

• Like 3

This is just a personal opinion, but I think when builds stall or we become anxious about starting a model, then it may be due to a number of factors, some of which have nothing to do with modelling 

1) Most of us have busy lives and  juggling jobs, families etc can difficult. At the risk of sounding heretical, there are more important things in life than sticking bits of plastic together and if you try to force yourself into doing something when you are tired and stressed, all you will end up being is more tired and more stressed and you will be even more frustrated. When I was working I often had to bring work home and so would go long periods without building anything, but when I did find time I enjoyed it all the more. 

2) As others have pointed out, build what you want, how you want and when you want. A while ago I made a conscious decision that I will build to a standard and so all my models look OK together. There are a lot of things I might not do to get that nth degree of detail, but I think I produce reasonable models and I am happy to put them on here for others to look at. 

3) I have stopped over thinking the model building process. When I decide what I am going to build I look in my book collection an on the net for some info and then start on the basics. I tend not set strict timetables and although I plan how I am going do stuff, there is not a detailed spreadsheet with detailed steps etc. This is a model, not BAe Warton. 

I enjoy my modelling and it is good for me on several different levels,  but I try not make it a chore like the housework. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, WelshZeCorgi said:

Thanks

I used to worry about the same sort of things as you in relation to modelling after I'd been back in the hobby for awhile. I personally think these are things that a lot of modellers go through, and especially after having improved for a bit and hanging around at a forum such as this. I think all these worries pop up for all of us at one or more points in time.

I think about the amount of work that takes

Like a lot of things in life, it often pays to break a big job down into parts and tackle one bit before moving onto the next. Breaking a big, long task into smaller "bite-size" bits helps a lot.

then the times I screwed up and had to redo or scrap the project

This I think is very common. Striving for perfection in modelling I suspect now is not actually a good thing for the vast majority. Wanting what you're doing to be perfect often leads to procrastination because you're afraid of making a mistake. I completely stopped modelling a number of years back because I wanted my builds to be perfect and this just led to me being so anxious about what I was modelling that I ended up not doing anything. Places like this forum where you can be bombarded by incredibly impressive displays of skills don't help when you're in that kind of head space because you end up comparing everything that you do with the highest level.

I found what worked for me in the end was to stop giving a stuff about it being perfect and just doing my best. Modelling is a hobby, so a pastime which is meant to be enjoyable. Build for yourself and your own enjoyment and stop comparing what you do with others' work - there's always going to be someone better.

I will also say that if you're not enjoying modelling, take a break from it and do something else that you enjoy and come back to it, if and when you can enjoy it again. I fish, fly fish and sail over the summer so I don't do any modelling over that time, and I find the break worthwhile for me personally.

I want to start cranking these models out

I'm not sure that's the right way to approach this but if you really want to start churning the builds out, then you just need to get down and do it. Probably doing the things I've mentioned above will help you do that, and especially not getting too caught up in trying to be completely perfect.

• Like 4

I haven't had the time or inclination to do a decent model for years.  Recently I took an old lady to Bovinton tank museum to see a WWI tank (her father was a tank pioneer).  I wanted to mark the day by giving her a model tank.  I knew I didn't have time, patience or paints to do justice to a model.  I also couldn't decide between plain or camouflage, clean or muddy.

I bought the Airfix kit, made it (it's a nice kite) and painted it black.  Then silver.  Mounted on a piece of wood it made a wonderful trophy ornament for Mary and I felt I'd done something worthwhile.

Maybe just stick some pieces of plastic together without worrying about the detail or colours...

• Like 4

thinking about this, and there's a plethora of legitimate advice given already, I pondered my own process.

the OP is given a bit to the adage "tail wagging the dog". you want a finished product, yet are not putting in the hours to get it. maybe collecting diecast replicas would be a better hobby? a few completed projects on the shelf might offer some incentive to do better. I don't think we need just one hobby or focus. I would entertain several given better financial resources. I marvel at the pulp gaming guys and would love to have every figure in certain ranges. there is a freedom from 'rivet-counting' inherent with this type of modeling which frees the creative side.

but looking within, one of the best things which have helped me get through my self-created walls was to work on 'the Basics'. some nights I only have the attention to clean a few parts, look at an instruction sheet, or paint a few pieces of primed stock. but after a week or so, I am left with something ready to assemble. and in the process, I have unwittingly stepped back into "the zone."

to that end, this is a great series :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOHpekq5a9k31BvF3I57yCg/search?query=basics

Edited by s.e.charles
  • Like 1