1/48 Mig-23 'White 211' Bulgarian AF. Finished 19/01.

DaveJL

4 hours ago, DaveJL said:

I’ll stick to Mr Paint, Tamiya and Mr Hobby as much as possible.

But there's the problem...you won't get any precise paint match.

I do have a Linden Hill decal sheet including a Bulgarian MiG-21PFM that I would like to build, but it only mentions the AKAN paints.

So if you want to go with other brands you have decide which matches the color best.

Edited by coneheadff

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

turned out absolutely gorgeous!

and the missiles are clearly white now when mounted! :)

:thumbsup:

:partytime:

Thanks mate!

20 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

But there's the problem...you won't get any precise paint match.

I do have a Linden Hill decal sheet including a Bulgarian MiG-21PFM that I would like to build, but it only mentions the AKAN paints.

So if you want to go with other brands you have decide which matches the color best.

That is the one drawback; Mr Paint have a great range for Russian/Soviet era subjects but the likes of the Bulgarian schemes, as you say, would need some colour matching.

I may have just picked up a batch that had been sitting long, or perhaps Akans own thinners could be substituted for other brands. 

• Like 1

The MiG looks lovely! Sad to hear you had issues during painting but the end result is great. I really like the clean weathering and the mean look with all those missiles. :)

I don't think our air force has any standardized colours or suppliers, certainly not after the Communist era, so you can eyeball the colours. They do vary quite a bit when seen in person.

5 hours ago, Ventsislav Gramatski said:

The MiG looks lovely! Sad to hear you had issues during painting but the end result is great. I really like the clean weathering and the mean look with all those missiles. :)

I don't think our air force has any standardized colours or suppliers, certainly not after the Communist era, so you can eyeball the colours. They do vary quite a bit when seen in person.

Thanks mate. A few trials and tribulations with the paint but we got there in the end!

Finished over the last couple of days. I managed to lose part M1, the rear view periscope for above the canopy :doh: I also had to add a small piece of styrene rod to prop the canopy up. There is a locating hole just behind the headrest of the seat, but Trumpeter do not provide the part.

49389377562_543b13eba3_b.jpg

49388705123_02ea81377d_b.jpg

49388705028_0f9010443f_b.jpg

More pictures in RFI here

Thanks to all who commented/followed.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 4

absolutley great!

one question, does it seem it stands a bit high? especially on the rear? I now, the MF and UB sit really low, and the the ML and MLD have a different stand... also depends on fuel level of course!

3 hours ago, exdraken said:

absolutley great!

one question, does it seem it stands a bit high? especially on the rear? I now, the MF and UB sit really low, and the the ML and MLD have a different stand... also depends on fuel level of course!

Thanks Werner. 

Regarding the stance, the 'lightweight' (L in the designation stands for the Russian word Legkii, which means lightweight) and sits with a less tail heavy posture than the earlier variants, according to the Linden Hill information book. 

A look at some ML/MLD pictures online seems to confirm this.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...