M1A2 Abrams SEP TUSK II, 1/72 Tiger Model

Shin

Hi all, just finished this one and snapped some pics. I'm a relatively new modeler, and welcome all critiques/criticisms/tips!

This is my second tank and first one in the 1/72 scale. This was found for a good price at my local model shop, and having never heard of Tiger Model, I was intrigued by the positive reviews and an awesome buildup of this on YouTube. I don't think I was prepared for how small some of these pieces were, but 95% of them fit perfectly so that was great. The kit includes photoetch mesh for the turret baskets and IR panels. I also bought a black dog resin accessory kit for the stowage. As far as I can tell this is the only 1/72 kit produced by this company, which is a bummer. 

Many firsts for this kit for me - first 1/72 tank, first time using pigments, first time using resin aftermarket. I built it up as a relatively undamaged tank, with pin washes and pigments as my only weathering. The armored windows may be a touch too green and the vision blocks ended up too dark from what I wanted, but overall I'm pretty happy with this build. This is good practice for the 1/35 one I'll eventually get to.

Stynelrez grey primer, Mission Models paints (body color of MMP-038, US Desert Tan Modern 2 FS3446) & Semi-Gloss, AK Interactive Ultra Matte, Tamiya clears for the glass, Ammo by MIG enamels and pigments. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And as a little bonus, the tank next to my 1/35 Challenger 2 & 9V battery for size comparisons. 

spacer.png

Thanks for looking!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I like that, very nicely done and not over weathered, just as the real things look in pics! I've got one of these to do and hope I can get it looking as good! 

Can I ask is the Black Dog stowage a set specific for this vehicle. or did you just use generic items?

Nice build!

Keith

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Can I ask is the Black Dog stowage a set specific for this vehicle. or did you just use generic items?

thanks much Keith! The set from black dog is titled "M1A2 TUSK accessories set" and uses this model in the box art, but it doesn't explicitly write anywhere that it's for the Tiger Model kit. There are a bunch of parts in there, I think I only used 60-70% of the pieces. Actually ScaleMates says it designed for this kit: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/black-dog-t72110-m1a2-tusk-accessories-set--1154343 That said I think most of the parts are generic enough to be used in any Abrams, or even non-US tank. 

The model included the spare wheel, sprocket, and track link though. 

Oh, and a little behind the scenes - some of the pieces in the basket are propped up by bits of sprue for better visibility, and not wanting to waste resin pieces in a bottom of the stack where they wouldn't be seen. 

Edited by Shin
typo
  • Like 2