BF109E in RAF Markings DG200 1:72

Another build completed that's been on the bench for over a year.

Airfix BF109E Kit with Euro Decals ED72109 completed as DG200.

First time trying MRP paints 108, 110 & 122 Primed with Mr Surfacer 1500 white followed by pre shading with Mr S 1500 Black

Rest was Humbrol enamel.

Used MRP Super clear gloss before decals set with microscale Set & SOL followed by MRP gloss then Matt clear and but no weathering.

Found that even after those layers some of the paint rubbed off exposing the primer. Not sure if that's normal for MRP but I'm still impressed with how sooth the finish is.

Only Decal not from the sheet was the tiny swastika on the tail. this was a 2mm circle punched from microscale white decal stock then overlayed with an inkjet swastika. It was done that way to get the image central on the circle. Tried by printing on white inkjet sheet and stamping out the circle but couldn't get it central enough.  Ended up with a tiny bit of silvering on the serial no. Couldnt get it bed down despite copious coats of microsol, just wouldn't do it.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the result.

From pictures found on the internet DG200 had lost its canopy and was test flown without also does not seem to have an antennae mast of wing guns so have left them off. 

Thanks for looking.

CT.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

rsDeZIH.jpg

kLmAJkr.jpg

MmCNZG3.jpg

5aeZoj9.jpg

YVw2ocG.jpg

IOoYPc7.jpg

xESOZU5.jpg

CT

• Like 43

Very neat and proper Emil under new management!

The prop is mounted back-to front, though – the more curved edge should be the trailing one.

A nitpick – with the flaps fully deployed, the ailerons would also be deflected down a bit on the E series.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

From pictures found on the internet DG200 had lost its canopy and was test flown without also does not seem to have an antennae mast of wing guns so have left them off. 

Very nicely done.  Re the canopy, it was originally removed when the aircraft was with Rolls Royce for testing, and it was flown by Wg Cdr Hervey Heyworth , who was extremely tall.  When they came to refit the canopy, they couldn't find it. 

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=18922.0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

The prop is mounted back-to front, though – the more curved edge should be the trailing one.

A nitpick – with the flaps fully deployed, the ailerons would also be deflected down a bit on the E series.

Flaperons! Didnt know about that. I Do have the Haynes manual for the 109, I should read it sometime instead of just looking at pictures and diagrams.

Well spotted on the prop!!!  

I Hadn't noticed that, luckily I have a spare.

E59C1Y1.jpg

Have a second 109 on the bench that's going to be part of a diorama and wont need its spinner so I'm going to rob the prop from that, assemble it prop correctly and put it on DG200, Ill extract the prop from the black spinner to use on the diorama. Its going to get bent for that project anyway.😜

Thanks for pointing it out.👍

20 hours ago, Crane said:

Looks like a part is missing between the prop and the cowling?

I did wonder that myself, If there is its not on the instructions or left on the sprues, but yes doesn't look right does it.

tRvUNNp.jpgXAnzfvh.jpg7zibXtO.jpg

Dry assembling on the spare kit does show a bit of a step on that too

NJThylX.jpg

So really not sure on that.

16 hours ago, MikeC said:

Very nicely done.  Re the canopy, it was originally removed when the aircraft was with Rolls Royce for testing, and it was flown by Wg Cdr Hervey Heyworth , who was extremely tall.  When they came to refit the canopy, they couldn't find it. 

http://www.kenthistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=18922.0

Interesting read, thanks for that.

Regards

CT

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 12:12 AM, Hobo said:

Has anyone else out there had MRP paint rub off? I plan on trying that paint in the future and any tips would be appreciated.

Yes I found it had rubbed off on this and another build in some small places. I think it might be down to finger grease even though it was degreased & cleaned before priming. So probebly got on after cleaning. I think for the next build Ill try gloved handling only once the pre primer cleaning has been done. See if that helps.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 4:35 PM, Adam Poultney said:

Interesting that they left a Swastika on the fin, although a smaller one. Very nice build, I like it, might have to do one myself...

That badge was indeed a small swastika on a white circle, but superimposed on that was a hand making a "V-for-Victory" sign. I attepted it in 1/32 by using a spare kill marking, and flesh-coloured paint on a fine brush, but in a smaller scale I wouldn't bother

Nice build! Always had a soft spot for DG200. I spent a wonderful day out with Sqdn Ldr Gerald Scott in the late 90s. We toured the museums at Hawkinge and Manston with lunch at the Jackdaw Inn. Scott was first on the scene at Manston in 1940 when Teumer landed WN 4101. Apparently, Teumer was about to fire a flare into the cockpit when Scott rugby tackled him to the ground before he could start a fire in the 109. Scott still had the Schwimmvest and flying helmet that he procured as souvenirs at the time, and told us that he and Teumer corresponded after the war and became good friends. It was a privilege to hear his stories that day from a career that saw him flying agents into France, tank buster Hurricanes in the desert and photo recon Mustangs. A top bloke!

Steve