Me 262B 'Black A'

torqueofthedevil

Evening all,

I'm after details relating to the above aircraft which is pictured at Zatec airfield in 'Air War over the Czech Lands' by Jiri Rajlich. There is just one photo, in which the aircraft is partially dismantled; the accompanying profile shows it with a replacement tail unit in 74/75 and no markings at all apart from national insignia and the 'A'. Has anyone seen other images of this aircraft? I'm very keen to find out more about its camouflage and markings, and also about its history before it ended up in pieces at Zatec. Any help much appreciated! 

My colleagues at JaPo and I included information on this aircraft in our 2010 book "Luftwaffe Over Czech Lands - 1945 Volume III: Messerschmitt Me 262s of KG and KG(J) Units". Unfortunately this book is long out of print. 

Regarding your questions, only one photo of the machine is known and taken at Saaz (Žatec) airfield in May 1945. Through comparison of its markings with those of other units (and their Me 262 B-1a trainers) we believe it was assigned to III./KG(J) 6.  Its camouflage scheme is very similar to another Me 262 B-1a of which there are a number of photographs.  This aircraft, WNr.110165, was abandoned at Schleswig-Jägel and was most likely assigned to 10./NJG 11 (though no information is available that the unit was actually assigned a Me 262 B-1a trainer).  It was captured intact by the British and later set aside for the Americans and identified as "USA 2". (Note: A photo clearly shows this aircraft marked as "USA 2" and not "USA 3" as claimed by many writers). It later was given to the US Navy and identified as Bu.Aer. No.121441, and was scrapped at NAS Anacostia in late 1947. A number of photos of it can be found on the internet.

With respect to its camouflage colours, we stated: "Two camouflage colours, presumably RLM 81 and 82, were sprayed on “Black A’s” spine, their irregular division line ran at about two thirds of its height. The camouflage pattern ended behind the canopy fairing, i.e. covered only the top of fuselage. The remaining surface of fuselage sides and fin and rudder was covered with irregular mottles of the two colours. The lower and side fuselage surfaces were provided with a base coat of RLM 76. Even though we quoted the documents of July 1944 anticipating application of RLM 65, we presume that most aircraft were provided with standard RLM 76 by manufacturers."

On the matter of its markings, the standard national markings were applied in the designated positions. The Werknummer was most probably applied to the tailfin that unfortunately is removed from the aircraft. 

Hope this helps.

David

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2019 at 2:54 AM, David E. Brown said:

My colleagues at JaPo and I included information on this aircraft in our 2010 book "Luftwaffe Over Czech Lands - 1945 Volume III: Messerschmitt Me 262s of KG and KG(J) Units". Unfortunately this book is long out of print. 

Regarding your questions, only one photo of the machine is known and taken at Saaz (Žatec) airfield in May 1945. Through comparison of its markings with those of other units (and their Me 262 B-1a trainers) we believe it was assigned to III./KG(J) 6.  Its camouflage scheme is very similar to another Me 262 B-1a of which there are a number of photographs.  This aircraft, WNr.110165, was abandoned at Schleswig-Jägel and was most likely assigned to 10./NJG 11 (though no information is available that the unit was actually assigned a Me 262 B-1a trainer).  It was captured intact by the British and later set aside for the Americans and identified as "USA 2". (Note: A photo clearly shows this aircraft marked as "USA 2" and not "USA 3" as claimed by many writers). It later was given to the US Navy and identified as Bu.Aer. No.121441, and was scrapped at NAS Anacostia in late 1947. A number of photos of it can be found on the internet.

With respect to its camouflage colours, we stated: "Two camouflage colours, presumably RLM 81 and 82, were sprayed on “Black A’s” spine, their irregular division line ran at about two thirds of its height. The camouflage pattern ended behind the canopy fairing, i.e. covered only the top of fuselage. The remaining surface of fuselage sides and fin and rudder was covered with irregular mottles of the two colours. The lower and side fuselage surfaces were provided with a base coat of RLM 76. Even though we quoted the documents of July 1944 anticipating application of RLM 65, we presume that most aircraft were provided with standard RLM 76 by manufacturers."

On the matter of its markings, the standard national markings were applied in the designated positions. The Werknummer was most probably applied to the tailfin that unfortunately is removed from the aircraft. 

Hope this helps.

David

Thank you so much David, that's just the kind of detailed reply I was hoping for. Sorry for the slow acknowledgement, it's been a busy few days. Presumably there is no way to confirm the different colour scheme on the tail of 'Black A' in the colour profile? I haven't had a chance yet to look for the pictures of 110165 but I'm guessing that there is no sudden change on the tail unit. I'll have time over the weekend to see for myself! Much as I have seen photos of Me 262 tail units separated from fuselages, I'm still surprised by the choice of colours on the profile of 'Black A' because a mottle of 74 or 75 over 76 was (if I understand correctly) fairly rare on Me 262s - only the very early aircraft would have had those colours, plus perhaps the handful of night fighters. Once again, my thanks for your generous response.