Lo-viz Soviet stars

Deanflyer

Hi all,

In my continuing quest to model aircraft that I've flown, I'm going to be building a 1/48 L-39C shortly. The one I flew in Brisbane recently had mock aggressor markings, including what looked like Soviet stars but in dark grey rather than red, and a large '99' on the nose, and it's these markings that are likely to cause me difficulty on the model. Does anyone know if there are any stars available in dark grey as shown, about 10mm in diameter? Also, the numbers for the 99 are 10mm high, and look like the American style numerals but a bit bolder - again, any ideas? I thought I'd ask before I go down the custom masks route.

Here's what I'm after:

star_zps2iqcbigc.jpg

numbers_zpsmjqrrwbp.jpg

Any info would be appreciated, folks.

Cheers,

Dean

1 minute ago, Pin said:

There was never such thing as "lo-viz" Soviet stars. The star on the photo is looking red to me, not gray

I know there weren't in reality...the aircraft wears a fictional scheme. I just thought someone might have done something similar in the decal line. The stars were definitely grey, no matter how it looks in the picture...

15 minutes ago, Pin said:

my theory is that the camouflage was put atop of the red star.

It may very well have been sprayed over. Could even be a useful technique of adapting, just a light coat after applying decal.

Otherwise, since it's not an operational scheme you're in uncharted territory anyway.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pin said:

I looked at various photos of this craft, my theory is that the camouflage was put atop of the red star.

I'm absolutely certain this was not the case...the stars on the wings have a camouflage demarcation line passing through them, and the stars are the same colour on both sides of it. (It's also ex-Ukranian Air Force, so wouldn't have had stars on in the first place.)

Looks like I'll have to go down the route of getting masks cut...

Dean

Probably only one  famous real Lo-viz Soviet stars was on T-10M-1 on first prototype first edition Su-35:

1_21.jpg

1_21_a1.jpg

As You see this 

Lo-viz Soviet stars

have nothing to do with 

this Lo-viz pseudo-Soviet stars:

On 11/26/2019 at 6:47 PM, Deanflyer said:

star_zps2iqcbigc.jpg

This situation happened because the USSR insignia was strictly regulated and it was only at the end of the existence of the USSR that the Sukhoi Design Bureau decided to put on their own version Lo-viz Soviet stars.

Therefore, it will be easier for You to order the printing of an individual decal personally for You.

B.R.

Serge