Back Dating a Jaguar GR.3 to GR.1 standard.

Sir T

Hi All,

Does anyone know much about the SEPECAT Jaguar?

I have the Airfix 1/48 GR.3 kit (Hence why I posted this in Modern not Cold War) and I'd like to backdate it to a pre-Gulf War GR.1 Asides from not fitting the over wing pylons/Sidewinders, does anyone know of any other majour visual changes between the two marks? 

Thanks for your help in advance! 

Stuart  

32 minutes ago, Deanflyer said:

I did the same about ten years ago, and got a lot of input from various knowledgeable folks on here.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33457-jaguar-gr1/

Should tell you all you need to know.

Dean

Many thanks Dean - just what I needed. I have to say having read through your whole thread - that was an awesome bit of work and a fantastic looking model! 

Stuart 

Airfix 1/48 GR.3 kit is essentially their GR.1 kit with GR.3 decals.

Main visual differences are the colour scheme and the pair of aerials on pre-Grandy  GR.1 on the spine cooling vent behind the cockpit instead of the later single secure radio aerial during the conflict and on the GR.3 , most of the later GR.3 changes had to do with cockpit displays, computer processing power and weaponry.

Original entry to service colour scheme was Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey over Light Aircraft Grey later changing to a Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey wraparound  scheme although there was an overall Desert Sand  test scheme flown with 6 Squadron markings in the late 1980s as well as some Arctic schemes usually replacing one of the camouflage colours with White ARTF.

Very early service examples had a pointy nose until the LRTMS became available.

Good reference and listed by squadron for changes in aircraft and colour schemes over the years is Jaguar Squadrons by Richard L. Ward and Yves Fauconnier and printed by Ad Hoc Publications.

Edited by Des
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Des said:

Airfix 1/48 GR.3 kit is essentially their GR.1 kit with GR.3 decals.

Main visual differences are the colour scheme and the pair of aerials on pre-Grandy  GR.1 on the spine cooling vent behind the cockpit instead of the later single secure radio aerial during the conflict and on the GR.3 , most of the later GR.3 changes had to do with cockpit displays, computer processing power and weaponry.

Original entry to service colour scheme was Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey over Light Aircraft Grey later changing to a Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey wraparound  scheme although there was an overall Desert Sand  test scheme flown with 6 Squadron markings in the late 1980s as well as some Arctic schemes usually replacing one of the camouflage colours with White ARTF.

Very early service examples had a pointy nose until the LRTMS became available.

Good reference and listed by squadron for changes in aircraft and colour schemes over the years is Jaguar Squadrons by Richard L. Ward and Yves Fauconnier and printed by Ad Hoc Publications.

Thanks Des! 

On ‎28‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 22:11, bar side said:

I’ve built 2 from the Airfix 1/48 GR.3 kit so far, one in GR.3 retirement scheme & one as a GR.1 with replacement decals.  Got to say control panel & arial fit was all I did 

Two very nice looking builds! 

Edited by Julien
picture quote removed
  • Like 1