1/32 Tamiya F-4D 'Terrible Tyke'

At first glance. I saw a couple of reference photos until I  realised otherwise. Does it look real? Yes it does. Nailed it really.

Zooming in on the detail shot of the stabilator. The subtle weathering is evident. 

Do you find that working on real aircraft gives you an eye for detail?

Edited by noelh
  • Like 2

Excellent Phantom David - I too thought that the first picture was a reference shot! A lesson to me - who has a couple of Tamiya's big rooms to build - don't worry about the raised panels and put covers on the intakes! This really does look great!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, noelh said:

At first glance. I saw a couple of reference photos until I  realised otherwise. Does it look real? Yes it does. Nailed it really.

Zooming in on the detail shot of the stabilator. The subtle weathering is evident. 

Do you find that working on real aircraft gives you an eye for detail?

Thank you for your kind comments.

I tend to work on commercial aircraft rather than military (sadly), but yes I believe it has given me more in sight and an 'eye' for the weathering effects. 

One big thing it has done in my experience is it makes you aware of the type on environmental conditions parts of the aircraft get abused by and then i can adapt the weathering to suit. 

• Like 5

Yes I think so. I was helping a friend work on his aeroplane last week and was noting with a modellers eye the build up of dirt in the panel lines, yes black and the wear and dirt on the tail wheel. He operates off a dirt strip in Zimbabwe. Lots of dust and dirt.

• Like 1

Hello David

its dont happened often that i see a model and i think ohhh wow a real one, but that was a model. Same case is now with your superb Phantom, when i saw your first image of your model, i thought you share to us a real Phantom as comparision or so. But its your model, and i am so impressed of your great work, she looks fantastic, really a stunner.

You make my day

• Like 2

4 hours ago, David Mooney said:

I hope you like it, it is certainly my best build so far. All comments are welcome, thanks for looking 

Well, now then kind sir, one can't simply rock up at the local museum, take brilliant photo's of the real thing and make the bold statement of a ready for inspection model now, can one my friend? Ha,ha.

A absolutely stunning piece of work and art sir, utterly brilliant, A humble wow blimey from the Malvern Hills.

Nice one sir, cheers. Brilliant stuff !

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Well you got me too.  I can't believe that the first image is not the real thing.  This is a level of quality that I can only aspire to.  Thanks for sharing.

Graeme

• Like 1