Griffon Spitfire question - tropical filters

Tony Whittingham

I've seen no reference to this on Griffin Spitfires or Seafires.  Not have I seen any external changes  I therefore suggest that the Aerovee filter/intake as common to late Merlin Spitfires was fitted to all later aircraft, including Spitefuls, Seafangs and Griffon Spitfires.  Obviously larger as necessary.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1

Thanks,Graham!

My perusal of photos on the web doesn’t show any filter-like structure on the cowling bottom of Griffon Spitfires that resemble the Merlin filters. I’m still leaning towards the “no filter” option. The Spiteful seems to be the first, depending on whether or not you count the post war Fireflies. Then, there’s the Seafire 47.

regards,

TW

Griffon Spitfires operated in tropical environments postwar, India and Palestine for example. It is difficult to see the RAF doing this without some kind of filter, internal or external.

The only difference with the Seafire 47 was the extension of the air intake forward, as a copy of the Mustang.  I recall Jeffery Quill commenting that he never saw any benefit from it.

• Like 1

The Spitfire XIV/XIX, and presumably later versions, do have cockpit-selectable air filtration within the standard intake system, unlike, say, a Spitfire V where the standard intake feeds unfiltered air. There was no need for the ugly and draggy add-on filter.

There is a cockpit control with two positions, FILTER IN OPERATION and NORMAL INTAKE. You run it filtered on and near the ground, and unless you;re flying through unusually unpleasant conditions you can select NORMAL INTAKE in the climb at around 1000 feet.  Put it back into filtered air as you rejoin the circuit.

The Seafire 47 extended intake trunking does not contain any additional filtration system.

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...