Amodel 1/72 DH Devon C.1

This model is the next addition to my RAF Ouston project, and this is not intended to be a full work-in-progress thread. Rather I'm hoping that some kind viewer can help me out with the markings. Please!

Here is the progress so far;

49126174453_278c25286c_b.jpgDevon C1 (1) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr

I also bought the "Transport Wings" resin Dove & Devon Seats TWC72041 set, as Amodel does not include an interior for the cabin. This photo shows the completed interior, although the colour scheme and internal arrangement for an early RAF Devon C.1 is something of a mystery! Two words of warning; the seats seem somewhat over-size, leaving no room for an internal aisle. This does not matter too much, as it is the side view through the cabin windows that is important. But in this respect the seat are also too high, and if I did this again I would set the scratch built floor lower. Also "Transport Wings" include templates for the floor and rear bulkhead, but the floor template is too narrow, and the rear bulkhead far too small.

49126174323_ce2e0da19f_b.jpgDevon C1 (4) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr

I chose matt dark blue floor covering, medium sea grey side walls, matt white interior roofing, and dark blue leather seats. The photo of the real aircraft (below) seems to show a 'club-style' front seating layout, and other references state that the RAF Devon was a 7-seater, with J-type dingy occupying seat eight up-front (?).

49126174198_85b10f8b8b_b.jpgDevon C1 (8) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr

Another mystery is the 'white' cockpit roof on some Doves and Devons. Some have it, some not, and then I realised that it is an internal sun-blind that is pulled forward as required. But I could not find any detailed photos, particularly to show if it is one blind, or two seperate ones, each side. I opted for one large blind, which does not go right to the back, there is a gap.

49126670916_025fed4a04_b.jpgVP974, FTCCS, Blackbushe, 31 May 59, Robin A Walker photo by Philip Pain, on Flickr

49126177133_e64c97ccab_b.jpgVP974, Odiham, Sept 1964, Mike Hines photo by Philip Pain, on Flickr

And here are the two photos I have been able to find of my chosen subject, VP974 of 13 and 11 Groups, RAF Ouston, early 60's. I could not have selected a more difficult Devon scheme!! Highly polished metal, with the dark blue trim outlined in very thin white. Worse still, the fuselage serial VP974 is outlined in white.

This serial is where I'm hoping that someone can help me? I don't have the equipment to design and print my own decal for this fuselage serial, nor does it seem worth getting it just for this small job.  So if any kind soul would be willing to help, I'd be most grateful, and happy to pay any costs. Thank you.

• Like 11

Will be watching this one. Have one in the stash I want to do as a Raspberry ripple livery. Not sure how your going to do that serial except maybe model decal serials sheet in white. Then get the blue bits done on clear inkjet sheet slightly smaller but each character would need to go on individually. 

Oooh, I love the Devon / Dove, so pretty - on my Scalemates wishlist now :) 

I have some 8" 1/72 light grey Ventura serials I can send you - PM me your address if they're any help.

Have you seen the Dove walkarounds here on BM - all the rooves seem to be solid?

• 2 weeks later...

Couple more photos of WIP, and showing the complicated masking required. The worst is yet to come!

49182235002_26dff8b46b_b.jpgDevon C1 (9) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr

49182234882_11f7bbb0b7_b.jpgDevon C1 (10) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr

Many thanks for the comments above, but I'm still hoping for some help with the white-outlined fuselage serials. Any suggestions please?

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Finally solved my white-outlined serial number problem, having reached the point of nearly giving up.  Found a very old sheet of "Almark" serial numbers and letters, they were always too thin and puny to be of use. So applied first were normal Xtradecal white serials, which were left to dry overnight. Then the Almark black serials were applied on top, not perfect, but close enough to give the right impression.

49242451276_2a58d3da51_b.jpgDevon C1 (12) w by Philip Pain, on Flickr

So I can now crack on and finish the model.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, CedB said:

They look pretty good to me! :) 

What Ced said ... really good.   Was the Elsan so exposed?  There may be ladies present, after all!

one question - I thought RAF ’passenger’ aeroplanes had rearward facing seats (no help if the Elsan is at the rear of the cabin ...) - was the Devon an exception to this?

Thanks for sharing,

Jonny

Looking good - I've got a part-built one of these, the Top Gun resin Dove kit dating from the mid-90's:

spacer.png

Have always intended to finish it as one of the RAE aircraft I regularly saw in the skies around Farnborough...

Edited by andyf117
  • Like 2

On 07/12/2019 at 16:16, Meatbox8 said:

Watching this with interEst as I'd like to acquire this kit.  Looking great so far although I think I would feel a bit self-conscious using that Elsan!

In the early 80’s the Devons were flown with four seats and a table for the VIP  and the life raft filled a seat frame and there was a bulkhead with a door between the pax compartment and the Elsan.  The carpets fitted were either blue/grey or brown, one was for the VIP fit, the other for normal people.

On 26/11/2019 at 11:22, CedB said:

Oooh, I love the Devon / Dove, so pretty - on my Scalemates wishlist now :) 

I have some 8" 1/72 light grey Ventura serials I can send you - PM me your address if they're any help.

Have you seen the Dove walkarounds here on BM - all the rooves seem to be solid?

Hi Ced,  on the C Mk 2 the rooves were solid, on the Mk 1 they were Perspex

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for the comments everyone. The seating arrangement can be seen in the second photo (above) of the real thing - the rear four seats are clearly facing forwards.

Thanks also for the 1980's internal colour scheme, although by that date they had been converted to Devon C.2's and completely refurbished.  All the interior views that I can find on the web are surviving Dove/Devons that have similarly been upgraded.  None of this really helps with a 1950's / 1960's Devon, and if anyone is contemplating doing an earlier Devon, beware the multitude of evolving radio aerials (which also affected the canopy thing on top); the changing external 'lumps & bumps'; the original port elevator shape (rounded end); and the engine cowlings / exhausts - some Devons had the upgraded engines, but not the canopy mods. I've also spotted nosewheel mudguards on some!

• 1 year later...

You have a great job, nice to see more Devon/Dove getting built, I also have this kit, it is a lot easier to build than the Rareplanes kit, but as mentioned the nose on the Amodel kit is a bit pointy, regarding the asymmetrical tail, the early Devons, Doves had both tail plans the same, I think looking at your second colour photo yours is OK, it really depends on the airframe you want to build, and if its been modified or not