AK Real Colors accuracy - can of warms strikes again

TomCZ

Hi gang,

I have tried AK Real colors and I am satisfied with their easy airbrushing.

But as usually, are colors rather correct ? Or out of any range ?

I believe that RAF/FAA/USAF and Japanese are okay, since Nick Millmann was involved, I guess that also RLM shades are okay due to Jurgen Kiroff.

But what about others ? Russian, modern an other nations ?

If not, are there any generally acceptable paints in general for particular nations ?

Thanks for your inputs...

As always, the answer is Colourcoats.

As for the accuracy of AK, their British Army colours had first rate input from Mike Starmer, but he was very disappointed with the products. Whether the same is true for the aircraft colours I don't know, and have no intention to find out buy buying any.  Other people's opinions welcome.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 5

"Might be"...?  That's a bit uncertain, isn't it?  However, as I am content with Colourcoats, I am equally happy to let others chase Nick or Jurgen up.  I've seen an AK book, and didn't rate it.  Not least because the subjects appear far too wide for the size of the offering.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

"Might be"...?  That's a bit uncertain, isn't it?  However, as I am content with Colourcoats, I am equally happy to let others chase Nick or Jurgen up.  I've seen an AK book, and didn't rate it.  Not least because the subjects appear far too wide for the size of the offering.

Yep, uncertain a bit. However Colourcoats does not ship outside UK...

49 minutes ago, Rolls-Royce said:

You may want to email Nick at his blog to see what he thinks about that.

Did it some hours ago :)

• Like 2

Tom , if you saw two aircraft parked side by side , same type/manufacture , one a year or two old and the other quite new , you would

say they had been painted in different colours . Don`t be too dogmatic about camouflage shades , you`re on a hiding to nothing .

For several years now , I`ve used Xtracolor enamels and have no plans to change .

Don .

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Don149 said:

Tom , if you saw two aircraft parked side by side , same type/manufacture , one a year or two old and the other quite new , you would

say they had been painted in different colours . 

Yes, but if you are modelling a new aircraft or an aircraft that was a year or two old, you would be justified in being a little more picky.  Many modellers do make their models in "factory fresh" colours (even if the markings are not always consistent with this.)  In any case, even when colours do change notably (and some change much more than others) samples of the same paint will move in much the same direction.  A blue-green is unlikely to turn olive, and an olive green is unlikely to turn blue.  I recall a line-up of USN carrier aircraft at Greenham Common in a very patchy finish in a considerably wide range of greys, but none of them were yellow or brown or pink.  If you have any interest at all in colour accuracy, then some knowledge of what the real colours were, and how they changed, is exceedingly helpful.  That's where this kind of thread is so valuable, but if you are not interested in this, or just plain anarchistic in these matters, I don't see why you bother posting. 

• Like 3

So sorry Mr Boak , Sir . I thought this was a friendly website where we are allowed to express our opinions and ideas . My observations , stated ,

were based on daily contact with service aircraft back in the 50s . Maybe paints ( Dope ) are of better quality now .

I really must remember to run any future posts past you first ! .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 26/11/2019 at 10:09, TomCZ said:

I believe that RAF/FAA/USAF

I recently picked up the AK Interactive RAF and USN navy sets, but not as yet got around to doing some test brush outs to compare to paint chips I have for them, using the RAF museum book MAP chips, and the US chips in Official Monogram USN USMC Aircraft Color guide. 

AK 

AK do not have the 3 USN Sea Blues ANA 606, 607 and 623,  and were listing ANA 623 as being FS 15042, which it's not....

Not sure how the AK interactive sets are different to the Real Colors though (real colors are acrylic laquer? ) 

AK certainly messed up their British Armour colours, both in the Real Colors book, and the paint to go with it.

see here for quotes and links

HTH

The way airplanes weather and colours change over time and exposure to the elements is a completely different conversation to whether a given brand of model paints is accurate to the colour standard they are supposed to represent.  Not the same thing at all.

Edited by NorthBayKid
  • Like 2

On 11/27/2019 at 8:33 PM, JPuente54 said:

I saw that yesterday as well(Unwanted Hair treatment site). I just checked and see that it is "Warship Hobbies" again. And, your products were listed.

Joe

Thanks Joe, well that was a strange interlude indeed. And me, with all this unwanted Japanese hair I was looking for a way to get rid of! :D 

On 11/27/2019 at 8:57 PM, John Thompson said:

Now Warship Hobbies isn't even listed on the Sovereign "Where to buy" page as one of the two US distributors, with or without unwanted hair!

John

Thanks John, I'll raise it with my evil overlords :D 

Cheers,

Stew

Edit - apologies for the OT gentlemen

• Haha 4

• 3 months later...

Can anyone confirm that Real Color and the  AK Interactive brand scale their paint colours?  This means they take into account that models look too dark if painted in correctly matched paint, so they have adjusted the mix formula to produce  lighter results.  It could explain why so many of their colours don't match the research that is out there?

regards,

Jack

36 minutes ago, JackG said:

This means they take into account that models look too dark if painted in correctly matched paint, so they have adjusted the mix formula to produce  lighter results.

Hard to imagine paint scaling from 1:144 to 1:24 in and of itself.

• Like 2