Big ol' F4U-1A by Revell

Many of the build logs of this old Revell kit, while praising the overall shape of the airframe, are very dismissive of the details and fixtures. 

The kit is of it's time, and we're talking about 50 years ago! 

(A computer then took up a whole room and you could cook a meal using the ventilation outlets.) 

One item that is regularly binned and replaced entirely is the radial engine. 

The builder is then obliged to cut open the cowling to show off the marvellous resin engine, and make provision for the engine, which has cost more than the plane kit, to be admired. 

The other way to go about it is take a shot at improving and making the best of what is supplied! 

I've spent a few happy hours modelling away with the kit parts and learning a few things on the way. 

This is the front bank of cylinders, getting drilled for sparkplugs, and pushrods 

IMG_20191112_211854

This item is the front housing, 

IMG_20191114_000847

As you can see there's some confusion with the circular conduit for the ignition leads and the front pushrods! 

I removed that, and fitted my own pushrods. 

I cut the magnetos off too as they are the later type, and filled the gaps with backing and filler. 

IMG_20191114_002237

And for the ignition system, I made one of these!! 

IMG_20191203_162405

Brass rod made into a ring of the right size, joined with a little bit of brass tube and festooned with 18 double wires soldered around. 

The ignition leads for the rear bank of cylinders exit the ring and fit through between the front cylinders. 

Well, that was my plan. 

Some time later I got back on the case and tried my best to sort it out. 

IMG_20191203_162448

The front housing needed a bit of modification to fit, but it went eventually, complete with new early style magnetos. 

IMG_20191203_172451

IMG_20191203_172516

I've drilled through the whole thing to take a length of Ali tube of the larger diameter which will accommodate the propeller on a shaft of tube of the smaller diameter, making the prop removable 

The engine tube is long enough to protrude out the back, and the firewall drilled out and reinforced to take the end of the tube 

IMG_20191203_163839

I read something about the engine positioning being a bit wrong and I had an idea I could adjust the positioning by moving the tube in the firewall. 

Having said that, I can't see anything wrong with the engine placement and it's where Revell intended it to be. 

Helluva good joint, though....!! 😅

Well, that's pretty much all that I've got on the P&W Double Wasp. 

No doubt it needs to be worked on out of the box but as an alternative to making a "kit within a kit" and at some considerable extra cost, the kit parts give something to work on. 

I'm now on my 3rd version of the gunsight armour screen inside the canopy, but I think it's a keeper this time! 

😎

• Like 9

Late for the show but excellent job on the Corsair so far, Getting to be too old, I remember building this kit as a kid when it first came out. Didn't look any wheres near a good as this.  Pulling up a chair to watch this epic unfold.

• Like 1

You're welcome along @LorenSharp😊

Time to get another kit and give it a 2nd try! 

I've been tinkering with little bits and pieces. 

The 3rd effort with the armoured screen is fitted and I think I'll leave it at that. 

IMG_20191209_001339

I got a couple of handles and a rearview mirror done inside the sliding canopy, 

IMG_20191209_001417

The handles have a blob of pva each and I polished up a piece of Ali foil on the face of the mirror. 

They sit together on the fuselage quite well although the seating of the front screen will need a little bit of help. 

IMG_20191209_172905

IMG_20191209_172924

• Like 6

I took the plunge and set about getting the rest of the flaps sorted out and assembled to the wings. 

This is the middle flap for the starboard side, and I made 2 saw cuts under the front to take strips of stock sheet. These go against the rear spar structure in the inner wing and hold the flap out in the extended position to match the outer flap. 

IMG_20191209_204552

I made them over-long so they can be trimmed back gradually to give the right standoff. 

Same with the inner flap, and then in with the glue! 

IMG_20191209_212003

And that, my friends, is the first time I've ever had a Corsair wing with the flaps deployed! 😎🎶❤️

There's a bit of refinements to carry out, but I'm well pleased with them so far. 

IMG_20191209_212040

I'm setting about the port side pieces now. I left them together in an unmade state so as not to get them mixed up with the starboard set. 

IMG_20191209_213951

IMG_20191209_214002

The very blunt trailing edges typical of the whole kit can be seen there. 

I also had a cleanup on the prop and it looks okay! All one big piece but it's pretty good. 

IMG_20191209_212111

• Like 7

Hello Rob, not sure if youve noticed but the corsair has an inner flap between the 1st and 2nd main flaps. 

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/46915

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/67/d1/0b/67d10bb013730ac33858007cd6e6c5e4.jpg

its pretty visible in these photo’s. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

the corsair has an inner flap between the 1st and 2nd

Yea Dennis, I've been looking at the feature. 

I wanted to get the main units lined up first with the minimum of complications, as the whole thing is unaided and eyeballed together. 

There's some of that gap accounted for in the way that the flap parts line up, but only halfway closing the space. 

So I think I'll have to come up with some little insert. 

Would you say it's an extra "flapett" floating between the two, or an extension on the middle flap? 

Silly question - don't worry about it! Probably won't be any difference to the way I get around it! 

The little cutout step in the starboard inner was featured on the Revell wing as 2 holes. I decided to fill them in. 

I read it was only present on the Goodyear planes. 

I'm also seeing models featuring fuel filler caps way out on the wings, a formation light on top of the port wing and 3 colour indication lights under starboard wing tip. 

Am I good for all these?? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

I'm also seeing models featuring fuel filler caps way out on the wings, a formation light on top of the port wing and 3 colour indication lights under starboard wing tip. 

Am I good for all these?? 

No not all of them, you're good on the 3 color lights. There is a formation anti-collision light on each wingtip. The fuel tanks in the wings were eliminated in production models to make room for the 6 x .50’s. These two links can verify. The first is a navy manual showing one internal and two drop tank fuel capacities 

http://www.missingaircrew.com/pdf/Corsair.pdf

This one gives a brief history as well. 

https://www.si.edu/object/nasm_A19610124000

Dennis

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

There is a formation anti-collision light on each wingtip.

Do you mean the the red & green quadrant nav. lights right on the tips? 

I'm seeing a lens about 4ft in and maybe 2ft in front of the aileron, facing up. 

3 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Do you mean the the red & green quadrant nav. lights right on the tips? 

I'm seeing a lens about 4ft in and maybe 2ft in front of the aileron, facing up. 

Ok I see what you're talking about. Yes on both wings. Starboard shown below from the link. 

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2017/12/in-boxed132nd-scale-f4u1-d-from-tamiya.html?m=1

tumblr_o9n4ard4xa1sxm4gzo7_1280.jpg

If you go to the link and scroll down to this photo. The very next photo i think explains your mystery fuel caps ? They were the caps for the wing prop holes. Its hard to explain but you’ll see what I'm trying to explain. When the wings were folded they had metal support rods to hold them in a locked position. 

Dennis

Please excuse delays Rob, I'm working from limited sources as my entire library is boxed up and stored. So I'm forced to go and use Google to search out info. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

A little triangular piece of yogurt pot styrene is the simple solution... 

IMG_20191211_233327

There's a rectangular gap in the top of the outer flap that I missed out. 

I saw it in the walkaround refs and I think it's for access to the outermost gun installation. 

I couldn't see it in a lot of the builds.... 

I should have looked harder! 

I thought maybe it was covered by a small panel except when required 

Well, I might be able to suggest it in the paintwork 

• Like 4

https://acesflyinghigh.wordpress.com/2018/09/08/classic-jets-fighter-museum-

Hello Rob, this is a link to an F4U-1 birdcage restoration. Theres some good detail photo’s in there. It was given to me by a good friend and I pass it on to you in hopes that you’ll find something useful in it. 

Dennis

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that link, Dennis. Brilliant! 

I decided to have a go at the cutouts in the outer flaps, in situ . 

I drew the positions, weighed up the odds, and drilled a few holes at 1mm. 

Then a blade and a file, and got a couple of rectangular spaces.... 

IMG_20191212_174652

IMG_20191212_174723

There's a strip of my favourite yogurt pot thin styrene going in to fill the void and make a liner. 

I also got a shaft fitted to the prop and tried it out for fitting in the engine bearing tube. 

IMG_20191212_174856

All good 👍

Edited by rob Lyttle
  • Like 6

I have been fiddling around with other parts again. Namely the wheels and uc legs. 

I wanted to get some brakedrums on the legs for a better look, and for something to attach the hydraulic lines to. 

It's basically a decorated disc with a hole. 

IMG_20191212_210946

The pipe is a piece of solder.... thin stuff given as 22swg. Probably about 1mm.

This is how it sits in the hub. 

IMG_20191212_211212

You'll notice that the tyre has no tread. 

Absolutely bald! 

I had sandwiched some 1mm stock sheet between the wheel halves for a bit more presence. 

That left 2 faint straight lines around the tyre and I have seen tyres like this fitted to a Corsair, but not often. 

It's that chunky diamond shape of tread that's so typical on these planes. 

Well, I found some of this.... 

IMG_20191213_210020

.... and started wondering.....!! 

IMG_20191212_213017

The 1st effort smearing ppp over was a mess, so I cleared that up. 

Next try was a well stirred tin of matt gray enamel, 2 coats well laid on and left to dry before peeling the mesh off.

IMG_20191213_200440

It's been drying and hardening all day, so I gave it a rub down with some worn-out fine stuff and tried some black paint to see what it looks like. 

IMG_20191213_205952

Never going to be perfect but I think it's workable. Each wheel will get a flat to sit on and some chocks. 

I'm going to do the other tyre, but the other leg is under repair right now 😁

• Like 5

8 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

just found out what Baa Baa Black Sheep is!

Or was. And who the black sheep were. 

I don't think the Black Sheep TV series would hold up today but as a little American boy I think Pappy Boyington was my first 'hero'. He flew corsairs, so that made it easy!

• Like 1

I've been quietly worrying about the wingtip transparencies for the lights. 

The kit pieces are a bit dimpled both sides and I couldn't find a decent bit of clear plastic big enough to fit the spaces. 

Well, I have now....!! 😎

I picked up this yesterday at a very decent price.... 

IMG_20191216_222345

2 for one...... Get in! 

Rummaging through, I found this for the 300slr, 

IMG_20191217_200811

There were 4 nice rectangular sprue bars on there originally. The missing one is now 2 wing lights. 

Cut diagonally, the block was enough for both. 

Starboard drilled and paint dot in green, and well glued in. 

IMG_20191217_153701

(when I say big enough, I mean nearly...I can sort the little corner later with pva. 

Left to set hard, and a bit of abrasion, down to 1500 grit, then my clogged up foil burnishing stick, then metal polish. 

There's no point fearing the little rascals, I have 3 more blocks to work on if it doesn't measure up!! 😊

On the port side, I have this... 

IMG_20191217_153630

IMG_20191217_154602

PVA is applied to the tiny gaps and seems to be doing the trick. 

So, another little hurdle cleared, and a pair of Mercedes gull-wing beauties to play with at some point!! 

• Like 4

I've noticed some poor alignment with the Tailplane viewed against the wing and flaps that's been bugging me. 

IMG_20191219_114812

I think the vertical fin is OK but I should have paid more attention when I was shimming the planes to achieve straight and horizontal. 

Looking like I should have double shimmed the starboard side and left the port as it was! 

The addition of the elevators has really brought it to light. 

So I'm back in there, slicing and bending, trying to get one closed up a bit and fit another shim of yogurt pot in the other. 

The whole fuselage is flexible and with no structure so it's all a bit hit-and-miss but I think I have some improvement. 

IMG_20191219_141504

Here's hoping! 

Later.... 

Bit better 

IMG_20191219_144649

Edited by rob Lyttle
Pic
  • Like 5

John, I think these are the type of tabs that are linked opposite to the flying surface. Can't remember the proper terminology, but when the elevator goes down the tab goes up and vice versa. 

So the tab is helping the elevator go down with it's aerodynamic force. 

The linkages look like they do that automatically. 

But it's just me thinking..... 

I do like to get moving parts moving! 

Trying to animate the look of the plane 

Hello Rob... Forgot to mention that the Vertical Stabilizer/Rudder is slightly offset to port on Corsair’s. It was done to counter the torque efffect of 2000 hp and a big 13’+ propeller turning to starboard. So if you notice they look out of alignment when looking from above. Its a deliberate design not a fault of the kit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1