Big ol' F4U-1A by Revell

Thanks Dennis. 

The feature is clear on the fuselage halves, with the fin well offset, and I figured that was the case. 

It must have been a beast to fly straight, especially straight down a carrier deck with the throttle wide open! 

I'd like to get some primer on some of these parts to see what I have, but the weather conditions are awful for any kind of spray can activity. 

I think it's going to go on hold fairly soon until the shed and yard warms up and dries out. 

• Like 1

Yes, I got to admit that there isn't much more I can do on this one until I can get some spraycan primer on. 

And things aren't looking too promising both weather and time - wise. 

What with the Christmas season upon us and all that! 

I had a go at beefing up the gear doors and attaching hinges, and I scratched some of the flap hinges under the wing. 

IMG_20191220_213314

The foil metal on the cooling vents can be seen there too. 

I'll get the other doors on and paint them at the same time as the whole underneath. 

IMG_20191220_213152

There's a pilot figure supplied with the kit and it's not good! 

But I've been having a go at trying to make something of it, when the mood takes. 

IMG_20191220_213056

So far I've released an arm, filled the voids and fixed it back with some movement. 

I filed away the silly boots and made trousers and shoes, then heated the ankles and realigned the feet. 

Sleeves rolled up and his derriere shaped so he can sit. 

I'm thinking about filing the helmet off and fitting a baseball cap, and really he needs a Mae West. 

If he makes the grade, he'll go on a box on the ground. Def not in the cockpit! 

I'll post any developments but things are slowing down on this one 😊

• Like 5

A bit more fun with the figure, seeing there's nothing to lose.... 😎

He was up to here previously, 

IMG_20191221_213200

So the helmet came off and a cap peak applied. Right hand got some heat to get the knuckles curved and a little bit of a stretch, and then a thumb glued on. 

I'm pretty sure he's going to get a cigarette tween finger and thumb. 

I mixed some flesh tint.... 

IMG_20191221_200149

And then a faded blue shirt... 

IMG_20191221_213004

The thumb, it's now clear, needs a bit of refining. Quite pleased with the cap and ears. 

I actually filed right through his neck around the back of the head as I slimmed his neck and collar, and applied some PPP to remedy the injuries. 🤕

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I managed to get some primer on the airframe, white all over to start with. And I tidied up a few things that came to light, esp around the modified trailing edges of the control surfaces. 

And I just got some grey primer over the top. 

IMG_20200116_163751

IMG_20200116_163809

IMG_20200116_163841

So I'll let that dry off and consider my options. The rivets are looking a bit pronounced in places, but overall not too bad. Flaps look OK and the cowling has shaped up. 

Pressing on with a few other things meanwhile and I've got several items that need to be finalised and finished off. 

IMG_20191229_191718

IMG_20200113_211038

IMG_20191105_172037

😎

• Like 5

.. I've tried a couple of bottles of Mig ammo acrylic paint recently, and I think I like them. 

It started with the polished metal and I was impressed enough to try their mid blue and sea blue for this large "canvas". 

I'm not an airbrusher. But I have a fair bit of experience and practice in working with watercolour and acrylics, and I like brushes and using them....... 😮⚠️

Washes and glazes are fascinating marvels to me, so this is going to turn into a bit of an Art & Design project for a while 😎

IMG_20200117_221802

IMG_20200117_221838_1

IMG_20200117_221824

The starboard wing there has just had one wash over the grey primer. 

The port wing above it has had a second and I'm rubbing the surface back so the raised lines and rivets are getting picked out. 

IMG_20200117_222024

Some bits of the Ali foiled areas are starting to show. 

When I foiled the air intake panels I left the foil intact over the openings as masking. 

IMG_20191212_174856

Well, I've cut them open now the priming is done.... 

IMG_20200117_222024

And the rudder is fixed. 

I'm of the opinion that these trim tabs are of the automatic "Flying" type. So when the control surface goes down, the tab goes up. Or when the rudder goes left, the tab goes right. The aerodynamic force on the tab is assisting the control surfaces to do what they're trying to do. 

There's proper terminology for all this, like dynamic something..... 

Anyway, the F4U has some pretty visable linkages. The ones on the rudder are done, and I have a few others to sort out at the right time. 

IMG_20200117_221939

This could all turn into a painty mess but I'm interested to see what it looks like as it's progressing. 

I'm well pleased with the Mig paint so far. 

Just remember, well weathered, coral Island, heavily used, workhorse.. 😎

• Like 6

While I was painting, rubbing back, washing and generally working on getting some kind of wear and tear on the airframe, I realised that the decal transfers were going to look brand new showroom condition when applied. 

So I've put them on now, so any further abrasion and weathered look is going to be on the decor as well. 

IMG_20200119_224250

IMG_20200119_224352

IMG_20200119_224505

I gotta say the decal sheet performed very well, especially the big ones. Precious little carrier film surplus around the edges and tough enough to hold together without being thick and unyielding. 

The white lining on the fuel tank area was a bit of a pain but came good in the end. 

The kill tallies come in a strip and I wanted to get a little separation between each. So I ran a blade across before dipping and put each one on separately. 

Just 2 each side so far. 

I'd better get her up on her legs soon, although the flaps and inner u/c doors provide a very stable and balanced support for the model so far. 

😎

Edited by rob Lyttle
Pic correction
  • Like 5

All caught up. I must say you are doing  a wonderful job on this old bird. Really impressed. Your modelling skills really shine with this one. The paintwork looks ace too. Really nice and worn. 🙌🤩

Johnny.

ps. Those flaps. 👌🙌

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

The paintwork looks ace too. Really nice and worn. 🙌🤩

I'm much obliged, Johnny. 

I'll take that..from the Paintmeister ⚠️😊

Plenty of fun per £ with this, and the opportunity to get stuck in.... 

Without the need for a magnifying glass. 

Glad you enjoyed it 

• Like 1

A goooood Corsair make me happy !! Brilliant paint job Rob !!

Nice wheathering too ! The Jolly Rogers were really weathered in Vella Lavella..

Climate and intensive operations took their toll !!

Congrats Man !!

Sincerely.

CC 

• Like 1

Maybe a couple of seagulls sitting on the tail, Loren?? 

I managed to get the main legs assembled for fitting, with some extra spring items attached. 

IMG_20200128_234735

So, ready with those, and then I need to take a look at the tailwheel arrangements and she will be up and standing 

• Like 3

Comments and opinions welcome on the look of the stance on this. 

Not much I can do with the main landing gear now, of course, but the tail wheel is still very adjustable height wise on an Ali tube leg. 

I know the 1A got a smaller wheel with an air tyre and a longer leg to raise the tail and improving the pilot's view while on the ground.... 

IMG_20200129_220028

IMG_20200129_220045

IMG_20200129_220207

• Like 4

Still picking away at the little bits and pieces on this old bird as the mood takes me. 

Wheels and front doors finally tamed and fitted, complete with a couple of milliput chocks. 

The outer u/c doors beefed up to give some thickness at the hinge side, and fitted. The mast is on but I have doubts about the strength of the joint, especially if I stretch some line up onto the tail. 

But she's starting to look like a bit of a beast. 

IMG_20200203_220822

IMG_20200203_220849

IMG_20200203_220904

There's an example in the BM walkaround section... Royal Navy airframe..... that's been the subject of some serious paint investigation. What caught my eye is a red primer paint around the gun ports around the bare metal blast tubes. 

kd431%2001.jpg

"Widow maker, brutal monster, you loved and hated it...." 

RN pilot 

• Like 2