RAF 100th Tucano 1/72

Paulaero

So, with the new Airfix Bucc on hold due to my 'mate', I decided to raid the stash to apply some newly released markings.

P1540493

This was along way down in the said stash.... I think this was the original release dated 1990 which is about right with them entering service in 89.

(Where did that 30 years go ???

P1540504

Brand new release at Telford, I had difficulty in getting a picture of these as the gloss carrier film is so reflective, which is more than can be said for the kit ones !!

P1540499

As Baldrick might have said, flatter than a flat thing on a flat day. Still they are nearly 30 years old and all I need is to coax the IP's off.

P1540503

Art work for said subject, having searched out ZF293 it looked to be quite a well worked A/C by the time it had these markings applied.

P1540509

Having opened the lid the nostalgia came flooding back just like the cracking builds of the classic US Navy kits, particularly as this was also moulded in white, well it was once !!

P1540513

I guess cream is more appropriate but the surface detailing is so fine,(open can of worms) but I guess this was one of the first mouldings. I think these are currently in the standard grey plastic if any one can confirm ?

Now the Tucano has always been a tail sitter and the instructions state 7grms, but whilst removing parts from the box look what I found.

P1540518

Bonus, Now where did they appear from......

P1540520

These are obviously the same vintage and are probably some of the first out but that means some where in the stash I have a kit with these and the U/C and prop set in....

P1540511

So cockpit tub assembled rear stick appears to have gone AWOL - will rectify that but this is a build to show off the colour scheme

P1540515

One piece lower wing, again look at how fine those panel lines are

P1540517

Upper wings attached the plastic has almost a resin feel to it, not some thing I have come across before but then again haven't built many 30 year old kits ….. 

P1540512

Canopy is nice and clear, just a dip in some Klear should do, cockpit tub off to the paint shop just aiming to get it the same shade as the IP on the Kits decal sheet

More to follow

Edited by Paulaero
Duplicate
  • Like 7

One thing that will need correcting if you're of a mind to do so, the aileron lines inboard do not align on the top and bottom surfaces of the wings by quite a substantial margin but given some of the other challenges that this kit offers that's probably the least of your worries.. 

Clive

So with cockpit painted a suitable 'shade of grey' work commenced on making seats fit. Now the one problem with making scale accurate seats is they often don't fit straight in the cockpit as the kit makers cant make the tub's to scale. .

Added to that over thickness canopy's and these seats have had to go on a severe bottom reducing diet...

Thank fully I have one of those large file's that we all loved the name of in metal work and that made short work of sorting the seats.

As you can see there's not a lot left of the seat pan, particularly the rear one . 

P1540526

But they do fit now and so does the canopy

P1540523

And the visible parts of the detail look good

P1540525

Off to the paint shop for the seats 

Edited by Paulaero
Duplicate
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Looking good Paul, as the owner if a couple of these, I'll be following to find out any traps for the unwary. :)

Steve.

Hi Steve,

so far the only trap has been down to the age of the plastic , its so brittle while assembling the two fuselage half's one side broke behind the cockpit, hopefully the repair wont show...…. 

Paul

• Like 1

While the seats are drying I added the IP decals which actually performed better than I expected and added the Coamings

P1540528

Still doubt much of this will be visible through the closed canopy

P1540529

Some extra lead added, just in case 

P1540530

Wings fitted very tight as did the tail planes, they were a push fit again may be down to this being a very early shot.

So main construction complete, I know the seats and canopy fit so time for a little appointment with the sanding sticks when the glue dry's   

• Like 2

Looking nice. I see yoou found out the hard way re the white metal seats I had the same problem when I did my retro schemed one in light grey and dayglo.  Look forward to seeing this with those new Model art decals.

2 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Looking nice. I see yoou found out the hard way re the white metal seats I had the same problem when I did my retro schemed one in light grey and dayglo.  Look forward to seeing this with those new Model art decals.

Now that's spooky as I thought the  design of the A/C would suit some day glo, must have missed it have you a pic you can post ?

Have spent a looooong time fitting these seats and these needed the most material removing. Have just dropped a Mk 4 into a new Airfix Lightning and it fitted perfectly ... 

4 minutes ago, Paulaero said:

That's very nice just look so right and your spot on with the thinking about not changing training colour schemes.  

Thanks. I may go back to it soon to add some dayglo to the tail planes as it looks a bit unfinished  to me. 

• 4 months later...

So a long delay on progress with this one seats finished

P1540937

Canopy masked

P1540938

Just needs some Maskol to infill

P1540939

Airframe primed across the joints -needs a coat of grey before the black

P1540940

Needs some more filler around the Airbrake...…. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

After more delays through the hazard's of life at the minute some more progress on this, following a coat of primer a little more filling and sanding were required. I have tried many fillers but always return to white mulliput…..  

P1550223 P1550222

Following another coat of primer we were ready for the topcoat

P1550004 P1550250

Black on, go...……...

After 24 hrs in the airing cupboard in its plastic box oven, the paint is rock hard

Now time for my favourite bit the transfers

P1550259

Unfortunately the curse of the brittle plastic has struck and one of the U/C legs has given way, I don't think that a repair job will stand up to displays on this so I will have to have a rummage for some white metal ones.... 

Canopy has had a couple of dip's in Klear ( The proper stuff)

P1550251

Edited by Paulaero
Duplicate
  • Like 4

Main transfers all on, need to source the stencils, hope fully JP will come up trumps here.

P1550267

Anti dazzle panel and walk ways to go, now need to sort the prop

P1550268

The model art decals are very thin but strong and really pull down well into the detail

P1550270

• Like 4

Excellent progress and a great job with the decals. Next up......Raytheon T6 to

Keep it company!(provided the RAF put

72 Sqn markings on them). See you at the finish line.

Edited by mackem01