P-40E - Aleutian Tiger

jean

Hi all,

I haven't gone very far with this kit in the just finished P-40 GB, so if it is OK, I would like to join the KUTA XII GB to try and have it finished before February!!!!

Here is what I achieved in the course of the P-40 GB. Very little, if truth be told.

I have done  bit more work on the kit since my last post in the GB, so I am quite confident I can finish it by February.

Will post more photos in a day or two.

Cheers.

JR

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

just a small update on the P-40.

This is work in progress, but I should be able to close the fuselage in the not too distant future.

I built up the Quickboost propeller, which is miles ahead of the Academy one. At least the spinner is correct!

P-40E PHOTO 7

Photo of the cockpit walls. This is almost finished too. Just need to add a throttle quadrant with 2 handles,

P-40E PHOTO 8

Anyway, things are moving in the right direction.

Cheers

JR

• Like 4

Hi Jean.

Good to have you on board again - how's the "chateau" and wildlife these days? My pair of minature "black panthers" are approaching 8 months old and 3.5 Kilos, and are currently destroying our artificial Christmas Tree!

Pete

Hi Pete,

the MS 406 is almost finished and I am expecting a new tin of Chocolate paint to give the second and last coat.

In the meantime, I spend some quality time with the P-40! A very nice kit indeed!

The "Chateau" is progressing, but not fast enough for my wife. April should see the first people staying in it, so no slacking I am afraid. Work every day, at the detriment of anything else!

We have had some rain, so the feeding program hopefully will be winding up soon, when the localized drought we are having has gone. A lot of work, as hippos eat a rather large amount of food!

Your black panthers sound charming! We have just brought in another cat from the Harare SPCA, and he is already getting used to the baboons, monkeys and warthogs that are around our home all day. We have now got 5 cats, 4 of them being rescue animals. And our mongoose who rules over everybody, of course. She is the one who destroys our Christmas tree (a couple of dry acacia branches we have had for ever!).

Anyway, there will be more on the P-40 shortly!

Thanks for looking in.

Cheers

JR

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

some small progress on the P-40!

Glued cockpit into half fuselage as well as put together and painted the Quickboost propeller.

This is a first for me, but the Academy spinner is a disgrace that spoils the beautiful lines of the Warhawk! My opinion only, but...

Just have to add some matt varnish to the cockpit and paint the prop blades black, and then on to the wings.

Apologies for the rubbish quality of the photos!

Cheers

JR

P-40E PHOTO 9

P-40E PHOTO 10

• Like 5

Good evening,

and a Merry Christmas to all of you around the planet!

Here is a single photo showing a minuscule progress, that will go totally unnoticed once the half fuselages are glued together, and be even less noticeable after the canopy has been glued in the closed position!!!

Too much time on my hands? No, on the contrary... but I hate a flat throttle quadrant! My shrink loves me!

Anyway, once two tiny holes have been drilled and 2 levers fitted and painted, the world will be more as it should be... and all will be well.

Cheers

JR

P-40E PHOTO 11

• Like 3

Hi everybody,

work is ongoing on the P-40E.

Did a bit more on the cockpit, so gluing the half fuselages is getting closer. Can't wait!

P-40E PHOTO 12

As always, (poor) photo close-ups are disappointing, as everything looks a lot more defined with the naked eye... well known story.

Nobody will ever notice the throttles... but I know it is there.

Thanks for looking.

JR

• Like 2

Hi all, 

work on the P-40 is ongoing, and my modelling time is shared with finishing off the MS 406 in the WIP section.

As I was giving a first coat of clear to the prop and rudder of the Morane, I decided to do the same with the P-40E propeller as well.

The cockpit is almost closed. so a quick photo of the prop.

P-40E PHOTO 13

Cheers

JR

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Goodness me JR

This is looking dangerously close to multi tasking !

P40, Stuka and MS406 !

Bon chance Mon Amy 😉

cheers Pat 

Multi-whatee?

• Haha 2

Hi,

The seat support that I stupidly decided to scratch build and install is finally in place and the fuselage is closed! Pheew!

The other stupid thing I did, was to decide to use the deeper resin wheel wells... What nobody tells you, is that they are way too thick (the top and bottom of the trailing edge show a gap of almost 5 mm!!!) and that you are going to file the surface of the wells until you can see through... and the bottom of the wheel wells threatens to come off. Disaster averted in extremis by splashing CA glue everywhere (OK, almost everywhere...).

I think I have got the hang of it now, but there is still one well to go....

P-40E PHOTO 15

P-40E PHOTO 14

Cheers.

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, jean said:

Hi,

The seat support that I stupidly decided to scratch build and install is finally in place and the fuselage is closed! Pheew!

The other stupid thing I did, was to decide to use the deeper resin wheel wells... What nobody tells you, is that they are way too thick (the top and bottom of the trailing edge show a gap of almost 5 mm!!!) and that you are going to file the surface of the wells until you can see through... and the bottom of the wheel wells threatens to come off. Disaster averted in extremis by splashing CA glue everywhere (OK, almost everywhere...).

I think I have got the hang of it now, but there is still one well to go....

P-40E PHOTO 15

P-40E PHOTO 14

Cheers.

JR

Not trying to get rid of the Perth are you Pat?

Pete

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, PeterB said:

Not trying to get rid of the Perth are you Pat?

Pete

It did cross my mind until I looked at the postage to Zimbabwe :surprised:

I have it on good authority JR has his own secret Santa anyway, so who knows what might appear ! :giggle:

• Haha 1