Yet Another Returnee To The Hobby

Dandie Dinmont

Hello everyone!

I’m Craig, yet another child modeller who has returned after 40 years or so, lured in by the gateway drug of the hobby (at least in the UK), the cheap Airfix starter set from Aldi. 

So so far my projects have consisted mainly of a selection of the aforementioned starter sets though I am gradually widening my scope. Much of my spare time is taken up with the wildly over-ambitious OO gauge model railway which is gradually filling up my loft so projects often take a lot longer than I would like (an uncanny parallel with my 9-5 occupation).

My aim is to make each completed model just a little better than the last (this is a very low hurdle to cross at the moment) and already the hints and tip I have picked up from browsing Britmodeller have proven invaluable. I hope I can go on to become a useful member of the Britmodeller community in the future. 

Craig. 

• Like 6

Hello Craig... :post1: from Chicago. 

2 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

My aim is to make each completed model just a little better than the last (this is a very low hurdle to cross at the moment)

That is the most important lesson to learn. So you're a step ahead of many already. 

Dennis

Hi Craig as a returnee to the hobby after a number of year, lured back by a Christmas present starter spitfire, after building an oo gauge layout in my loft, welcome!  Think you will feel at home here

Dennis and bar side, thank you for your kind welcome. Lurking on Britmodeller before taking the plunge and signing up, I was most impressed, not by the awesome array of modelling skill and knowledge on display, but by the generous and supportive nature of the site, very different to some internet forums I have taken a look at. It seems like something special and something I would like to be a part of, hence the decision to poke my head above the parapet!

Craig.

P.S. Have you actually finished your layout bar side? I started mine about three years ago and I reckon I'm still only a third of the way along.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Welcome to the madness, Dandie. As far as I am aware, it's a universal law that model railway projects never end! :)

Yep, bit like a model kit build is called done but we all know there is more that could have been included.  Well for most of us on here - there are some I really can’t see how they could be better!

On 12/3/2019 at 5:10 PM, bar side said:

Yep, bit like a model kit build is called done but we all know there is more that could have been included.  Well for most of us on here - there are some I really can’t see how they could be better!

Indeed. Sadly, that doesn't apply to my layout which has some pretty rough bits, especially where I was learning the fine art of soldering droppers as ! went along.

The picture of your layout isn't working for me bar side? Is it ok for you? I'd like to see it!

Craig.

11 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Indeed. Sadly, that doesn't apply to my layout which has some pretty rough bits, especially where I was learning the fine art of soldering droppers as ! went along.

The picture of your layout isn't working for me bar side? Is it ok for you? I'd like to see it!

Craig.

I stuck with steel fish plates & soldered from them rather than try to solder to nickel silver.  Realised I hadn’t made the photo album public, so try these

SeoIXjlJPkBdCVBzWvYzYX2N1kLuRs-X_rj1e5ia

3ThvP5rv4bSrwj-8VTOXEXT8oOoc3az2DL01sSPm

• Like 2

On 12/5/2019 at 9:21 PM, bar side said:

I stuck with steel fish plates & soldered from them rather than try to solder to nickel silver.  Realised I hadn’t made the photo album public, so try these

Nice photos. Looks like we’re modelling more or less the same period - BR in the late fifties to early 60s. Are your wagons built from kits or RTR?

Craig. 

On 12/5/2019 at 1:45 PM, Michael Morris said:

Welcome from yet another recent returnee to modelling.  My experience so far is of a very friendly, very knowledgeable bunch of folks on a well-moderated forum.

Thanks for the welcome Michael. I’ve just got a couple of Bandai 1/72 X-wings in the recent Hobbycraft Revell sale so I will be investigating the spacecraft side of the site shortly.

Craig. 

30 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Nice photos. Looks like we’re modelling more or less the same period - BR in the late fifties to early 60s. Are your wagons built from kits or RTR?

Craig. 

Yes, 1950s Great Eastern.  The layout is based on Ipswich Hadleigh Road junction.  The fish wagons are a mix of ready to run Dapol & Hornsby plus Parkside Dundas kits.  Built a fictional station on the other side of the loft from Metcalfe card kits but haven’t ballasted that side yet.

3uqdOvUdODlahDRLrLuwO4D-k9cL8eZwAdHXyCaT

• Like 1

On 12/7/2019 at 6:18 PM, bar side said:

Yes, 1950s Great Eastern.  The layout is based on Ipswich Hadleigh Road junction.  The fish wagons are a mix of ready to run Dapol & Hornsby plus Parkside Dundas kits.  Built a fictional station on the other side of the loft from Metcalfe card kits but haven’t ballasted that side yet.

Those buildings look great. One of the things I really like about railway modelling is that you have to learn so many skills as part of it , building in card, assembling kits of wagons and buildings, doing the landscaping and even a bit of electronics to get the whole thing working.

Craig.

Welcome Craig on the forum!
There is no age to resume but on the contrary!
For techniques, we learn every day!
There is a plethora of products that we would like, like cats, 9 lives! :rofl:

It's true and you're right, that Britmodeller is a mine for people who want to start or take over the model!

Looking forward to reading you and contemplating your models! :cheers:

Gérald 

11 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Those buildings look great. One of the things I really like about railway modelling is that you have to learn so many skills as part of it , building in card, assembling kits of wagons and buildings, doing the landscaping and even a bit of electronics to get the whole thing working.

Craig.

Yes so couldn’t resist doing a cardboard building with electrics & Cold War Jet models.  Turned out like this

DipdE92DbX7MKzPSFU7XcqHUOoUYxtXl0_MRGgVH

All good transferable skills

• Like 3