Monogram 1/72 General Dynamics F-16XL

hsr

This is my Monogram 1/72 General Dynamics F-16XL. The F-16XL was originally built to test how the cranked arrow delta wing from the commercial SST (Concord) would work on a high performance fighter. Later it was entered into the Enhanced Tactical Fighter competition against what was then known as the F-15SE (Strike Eagle) and having won is now the F-15E. For further information see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Dynamics_F-16XL. Based on this http://web.archive.org/web/20041225003945/http://www.habu2.net/vipers/xl/index.html article by Keith Svendsen from the fall 1984 IPMS Quarterly I made the following changes to the Monogram kit:

• Moved the intake back to the proper location
  • Moved the main gear forward
  • remove the AMRAAM rails from under the wing
  • Removed the gun hump from the left side and replaced it with the correct slot.

I made no attempt to change the angle of the tail and I just punted on the extra antennas. Other then that it is OOB :) and I used the kit decals. The decals worked surprisingly well  although I didn't realize until too late that they had slightly yellowed. 

So here it is:

MEYZ2rXK_o.jpg

vP7MlD4p_o.jpg

aS8gbr03_o.jpg

Jizdxc7r_o.jpg

HHpk7oEh_o.jpg

aRAx19nV_o.jpg

A note on the missiles; I was all set to add all the stripes and stencils to them but, I found several pictures that show them as plain white  so I left them that way.

Next up the the Flighpath conversion of the Heller E-3 to an E-8 that I had started but had to put aside for a while I waited for a part.

Enjoy.

• Like 27

Nice! You don't see many of these completed.

I've had one in the stash for about 30 years with a vague plan to convert it to the 2-seater in the Ferris camo scheme.... & maybe cross kit it with a more modern tooling of a B/D model. Anyone tried it & have any top tips?

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, DougC said:

I've had one in the stash for about 30 years with a vague plan to convert it to the 2-seater in the Ferris camo scheme.... & maybe cross kit it with a more modern tooling of a B/D model. Anyone tried it & have any top tips?

You mean like this: https://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/builds/rm/build_rm_5206.shtml

Thanks

• Like 1

Not to belittle the Strike Eagle, but I would rather see these batting through the Mach loop. Built one of these years ago as a 6 squadron RAF joby with wrap around  camouflage and half a dozen cluster bombs underneath. Nice build of a nice kit. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Keith

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2019 at 2:13 PM, hsr said:

Yep, just like that... except I wondered how easy/ worthwhile it would be to use even more of a newer, more accurate kit of a B/D model rather than just the nose section. The Monogram kit is pretty basic so it would be good to replace as much as possible without creating a surgery nightmare!

I was looking at doing much the same thing using the old Hasegawa F-16 for the new nose and a resin cockpit. Never got around to it yet. The method in the link looks a bit easier. I have two XL's, one old one I built years ago and a newer one.  I want to have the the single seater and the two seater. Is the tint on the canopy really that dark?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Is the tint on the canopy really that dark?

Yes, but you can still see details inside. Opening it up would be very difficult.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

Nicely done.  I was fortunate enough to see the first flight of F-16XL #1 while working as an engineer at General Dynamics back in the early 1980s.  

Edited by Mark Turk
Correction: Should have said F-16XL #1 not F-16 #1
  • Thanks 1

I remember this kit when it first came out and I was just getting back into the hobby. That was my WW I aircraft period so it took 30 years until I bought one and built it.

Nice work Howard. :thumbsup:

I build this one about 30 years ago, I still have most of it in my spares box and was hoping to rebuild it one day. I was not aware of the issues you corrected so may have to take them into consideration if I ever get around to rebuilding mine.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

I was not aware of the issues you corrected so may have to take them into consideration if I ever get around to rebuilding mine.

If you didn't fix them I am sure no one would notice.

Thanks

• Like 1