Eduard 1:48 MiG-21PFM VNAF

Hi Folks,

Apologies.........I lost track of keeping the WiP updated and was in a final rush to get this completed for the SIG display at SMW'19. Anyway, I'm calling this one complete. The Eduard MiG-21PFM went together faultlessly, as one would expect. I was looking to replicate the rather worn 'night fighter' scheme applied to at least one aircraft. The model was first finished with a Tamiya 'rattle can' Silver before applying several very light coats of Vallejo Acrylic. I then used a fine sandpaper to create some of the wear that appeared on the airframe as a result of extended use and the climatic conditions experienced in South East Asia. I would have preferred a little more time to refine the final result but I was pleased with the experiment. I used the L Decal Studio decals and the pilot figure was the superb Aerobonus Soviet Pilot/KM-1 Ejection Seat combination. I hope you like it ! 

fullsizeoutput_14aa

fullsizeoutput_14ad

fullsizeoutput_14ae

fullsizeoutput_14ac

fullsizeoutput_14b0

• Like 27

Hi Folks,

Thanks for your kind words......This is my first complete build of an aircraft for some time..........I've been a little out of practice of late.

That looks great! I just bought the same kit and it sure looks promising! :) I'm more of a 1/72 guy but have fallen for a few 1/48 kits - and I thought I would display them on a stand just like you did with this one. Great idea on it btw, looks good!

On 11/26/2019 at 6:48 PM, busnproplinerfan said:

This is neat, nicely done. Was this an actual scheme?

Yes,

The VNAF experimented with several camouflage schemes to overcome the problems associated with operating natural metal aircraft over thick green jungles and open plains or at night. Several aircraft received a crudely applied dark green paint which was more like a wash while others had dark green patches applied to the upper surfaces to break up the outline of the aircraft. At least one ('5040' as portrayed) received a slightly more sophisticated scheme of a properly applied Dark Green 'Night Fighter' scheme but even this succumbed to the harsh climatic conditions over time. If you want more inspiration take a look at the Colour Side Profiles in an excellent book called 'MiGs over North Vietnam' by Roger Boniface (Hikoki Publications) but take care with the captioning (almost all of them are wrong in attributing the aircraft sub-type) so cross-referencing with the Osprey book on Vietnamese MiG-21 Units or a similar reference is essential. Eduard include some of the more unique schemes in at least three of their excellent 1:48 family of MiG-21s.         

Hello again Folks,

Your very kind comments inspire me to really get started with finishing off a couple more of my 'Shelf of Doom' projects.

Mark

1 hour ago, Tiger331 said:

Yes,

The VNAF experimented with several camouflage schemes to overcome the problems associated with operating natural metal aircraft over thick green jungles and open plains or at night. Several aircraft received a crudely applied dark green paint which was more like a wash while others had dark green patches applied to the upper surfaces to break up the outline of the aircraft. At least one ('5040' as portrayed) received a slightly more sophisticated scheme of a properly applied Dark Green 'Night Fighter' scheme but even this succumbed to the harsh climatic conditions over time. If you want more inspiration take a look at the Colour Side Profiles in an excellent book called 'MiGs over North Vietnam' by Roger Boniface (Hikoki Publications) but take care with the captioning (almost all of them are wrong in attributing the aircraft sub-type) so cross-referencing with the Osprey book on Vietnamese MiG-21 Units or a similar reference is essential. Eduard include some of the more unique schemes in at least three of their excellent 1:48 family of MiG-21s.         

Thanks, I know bits about the Vietnam war so this is new and good info.