1/48 PT-17 Stearman.....and so it begins

Trying to get the modeling juices flowing again with something not to crazy before the P-51 STGB starts in a few weeks.  Other than the limited rigging on this kit, it looks like it will be a quick build........if my back will allow it.   The molded in belts are flat out awful, so I tried to replace them with an old Eduard set that you have to build the lap belts piece by piece.  I remember why I don't do photoetch much.  So the heck with that and the pilots just need to hope they don't fall out I guess!  Don't look too close at the seats......PLEASE DON'T.

Other than a dull coat on the side walls, I am ready to assemble.  Not shown are a lot more pieces painted and read to go.

49122426222_4a2f564e03_c.jpg

Beginnings of a 1/48 PT-17 Stearman by Jim Fox, on Flickr

I try to do not so common schemes, so I knew the standard Blue or Yellow schemes were out.  OD planes just don't do it for me.  So I ordered a set of Iliad Designs (already had one purchased, so now I have doubles) decals and am doing this Yellow/Silver Navy PT-17.

49121783778_0f836976ef_z.jpg
Navy PT-17 by Jim Fox, on Flickr

Edited by BlueNosers352nd
  • Like 14

31 minutes ago, Devilfish said:

Just ordered this kit and plan to do it in RAF trainer yellow, so will be watching this with interest.

Oh man, putting the pressure on me now!  Definitely replace the blobs they call seat belts!

• Like 1

I just finished one of these, and an interesting and enjoyable build it was too. 

I have stashed the aerobatic version of the Stearman.... same basic kit with a bigger engine+cowl and wheel spats. 

But it's got 2 barnstormer type options on the decal sheet, so I've used one of them on the PT-17. 

I'm with you on paint schemes. 

Olive Drabs and camo splodge patterns are not my thing at all, and I'm definitely tending towards the civil side of things for options and inspiration. 

Have to say that biplanes and rigging are not my usual style either, but I enjoyed the challenge!! 

I'd like to see how you get on. 

By the way, if you are familiar with Muller Corner yogurt....... The pots are styrene and our glue works on it. The side walls of the pot is a great source of really thin plastic, ideal for seat belts, and many other things! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dnl42 said:

USN models generally had front exhausts.

Wow @dnl42 that made me do a double take...

A Wright Cyclone with front exhausts?? 

You're right of course, I just hadn't noticed. 🙂

As for the use or otherwise by the Navy, I have no idea. There's plenty of restoration jobs with the rear exhaust done in the Navy style of decor.... 

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

There's plenty of restoration jobs with the rear exhaust done in the Navy style of decor.... 

I have no doubt! That may well be the best approach for the Revell kit OOB.

BTW, I got wonderful results for seat belts on an AT-6 using flattened solder for the cloth parts of the belt  The buckles were from a Lion Roar PE set with seats and buckles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Ah, here is the info, on @BlueNosers352nd reference....

Navy PT-17

"Original USAAF issue PT-17 , handed over to the Navy, the aircraft retains it's Air Force....... " 

Wonder what's the rest of the sentence? 

It's a great looking decor option by the way 

That's actually for the one below it.

N2S-3 (US Navy Designation for PT-17_, 39123, ca. 1944.  The aircraft is a mix of aluminum doped and Orange Yellow (FS 13538) areas.  This aircraft has a wooden propeller.

I don't have any references for any PT-17s or let alone this bird.  So I guess I either do a different version so I don't have to worry about the forward exhaust or say it was a "FIELD MOD" 😂.   Don't really feel like messing with making a forward exhaust.  Hmmmmm

• Like 1

The build continues...............dang am I rusty!   Some times I feel like I am all thumbs.   I'm a photographer....................I need to dig the real camera out and stop using the iPhone.  Gonna have some sanding to do..............as some details to repair. 😖   Gonna end up sanding off some raised and recessed details because I am rusty.

49129493623_08d0b82568_c.jpg

Revell PT-17.....the build continues. by Jim Fox, on Flickr

49130165677_6c1011bf39_c.jpg

Revell PT-17.....the build continues. by Jim Fox, on Flickr

• Like 8

Been trying to think back to why that top piece (cockpit piece) and ??cowling?? pieces didn't quite match up.   I'm thinking that the registration pins/recesses that the cockpit/frame assembly were a little bigger/smaller from paint build up.  Probably should of cleaned them out a bit because it is hard to firmly press them into place because of the cockpit/frame assembly.   The back of the cockpit top piece fits good, the front is a little short compared to the back, so a small step is there.  Afraid their is gonna be a lot of detail ost during the cleanup.

9 minutes ago, BlueNosers352nd said:

Probably should of cleaned them out a bit

Could be, I guess. 

I don't know how long you've been off the modelling Jim, but kits have become a lot better but a lot tighter with regard to the tolerances. 

Everything is designed on computer and made with CNC machinery. 

Slack fit is no more on the new kits. 

I did an Eduard Spitfire quite recently and it has loads of internal structure but absolutely NO tolerance for any mistake in assembly, and it turns up when the fuselage sides and bottom are going together. 

The Stearman has a right old framework inside, and a bunch of stuff in that front area if I recall. 

An engine mount frame and fittings that will never be seen again. 

I remember pulling the frame out and ditching it when I fitted the engine. 

Unless you're going for a display with panels removed, these bits are useless and never seen. 

Sometimes they overdo these things! 

But yes, keep your joints clean. 

There's a judgment to be made on when to assemble first, and work with clean plastic, and when to paint. 👍

Well, got seam cleanup done...........wasn't as bad as I thought.  Sprayed some Mr Surfacer on there to see how things looked.  Few spots touched up, re-sanded and now the second coat to check my work is drying.  In my typical "bull in a china shop" model building tendencies I've managed to break off the tail wheel (I found it) along with one of the struts (about 20 times).   This will probably be all for the weekend.   Bro-in-law is in town and he's staying next to the room I use for modeling (model room is like a walk in closet).

For the most part I am happy how it turned out having not done much modeling in the past, what, 4 or 5 years.  It'll probably be one of those 2' - 3' models..........thankfully not a 5' model. 😆

49148788477_72e5ce489f_b.jpg

BT-17 Stearman......progress continues. by Jim Fox, on Flickr

49148788432_63596fcf13_b.jpg

BT-17 Stearman......progress continues. by Jim Fox, on Flickr

• Like 7

spacer.png

So been thinking about what order to paint this in.   I am thinking yellow first as it will b easier to mask the yellow on the nose/cowl instead of masking around the struts.  Also would seem easier to mask around tail.  Thoughts?

Coming along nicely! :clap2:

Is the other color gray or aluminized paint? If not gray, be careful if you're going to try Alclad atop the yellow as the base color will show through.

9 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Coming along nicely! :clap2:

Is the other color gray or aluminized paint? If not gray, be careful if you're going to try Alclad atop the yellow as the base color will show through.

Yes silver......haven't decided what paint I am going to use for that.   If I were to go solely with what I have in the paint rack I'd only have Alclads or the old Testors Silver.

• Like 1

I'm just thinking out loud here, I'm wondering if you should try making a difference between the Silver dope fabric areas and the metal parts. 

I don't know if the original aircraft had silver paint on the metal, or if it had buffed up bare aluminium areas. 

Have you found any photo references for this particular plane?? 

3 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

I'm just thinking out loud here, I'm wondering if you should try making a difference between the Silver dope fabric areas and the metal parts. 

I don't know if the original aircraft had silver paint on the metal, or if it had buffed up bare aluminium areas. 

Have you found any photo references for this particular plane?? 

I have not found any references on this particular plane.  No refs in my collection for a Stearman.

• Like 1

Hmmm... I suppose it was probably a silver paint job.. 

But if there's no information on record, you can do what you like, without fear of contradiction 😎⚠️

Just your mention of your 2 available paint options got me thinking along those lines. 

Alclad nicely done for the polished metal, and the testors.... like Humbrol??... for the fabric cover areas. 

Don't mind me..... I'm just thinking out loud.... 🙄