Airfix 1/72 A6M2 Starter Set markings

DennisTheBear

Hello all! Apologies if I or anyone else has asked the following question before (if so put it down to a senior moment). Looking to a future build after I finish off the models on my worktable.

In regard to the markings supplied in the Airfix 1/72 Mitsubishi A6M2 Starter Set (the new tool one), would they be appropriate to any of the Japanese fighters which took part in the first air-raid on Darwin in 1942?

Thanks in advance for any replies and/or additional information!

DennisTheBear

3 hours ago, dalea said:

Not an expert but if we are talking A1-102, I don't think that an aircraft so marked would be impossible. The A1 signifies Akagi, which was present at Darwin.

Thanks for that @dalea. The markinh system of the IJN associated air arm are a mystery to me.

I've read that all 4 of the carriers thay were pary of the Pearl Harbour attack took part in the first air raid on Darwin. It was, however, 2 months after Pearl Harbour so thete might have been some attrition in that time.

As I'd rather not buy anymore AM decals I'm looking to either use the kit decals whole or to minimally change them to represent one of the Darwin raiders.

DennisTheBear

And the research continues. After actually looking for the right thing online it appears that Saburo Shindo survived the war.

This is encouraging for my soon to start build, as I will assume that Lieutenant Shindo took part in the raid. Whether he flew the same aircraft as depicted on the Airfix painting guide I don't know.

For the purposes of my build I am going to assume that he did, in fact, fly this aircraft unless someone can confidently contradict this.

Now it is time to think about what paints to use. As I have a limited selection of mostly Humbrol paints it is time to delve more deeply into the vast collective resource that is Britmodeller, and stand (or perch cawing stridently) on the shoulder of giants to peer at the expanse of information regarding early war IJN  aircraft colours.

DennisTheBear

Thank you @Ratch, I may just do that. I'm plannung to do a series of builds focusing on the air war over Australia, as well as some that flew from the various bases in North Queensland.

Any unit, colour, or marking info will eventually go into these builds.

DennisTheBear

• Like 1

Well worth a look if you are interested in the early stages of the Pacific campaign. Enough modelling subjects to keep you going for a few years.

https://www.adelaidebooksellers.com.au/product/141781/South-Pacific-Air-War-Volume-1-The-Fall-of-Rabaul-December-1941-March-1942-Claringbould-Michael--Ingman-Peter