1/72 - Armstrong-Whitworth Siskin Mk.III by Kora Models - released

Homebee

Kora Models has just released four 1/72nd Armstrong-Whitworth Siskin Mk.III kits.

- ref. KPK72112 - Armstrong-Withworth Siskin Mk.III

Source: https://www.lfmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3141

KPK112.jpg

- ref. KPK72113 - Armstrong-Withworth Siskin Mk.IIIDC "British service"

Source: https://www.lfmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3142

KPK113.jpg

- ref. KPK72114 - Armstrong-Withworth Siskin Mk.IIIDC "Estonian service"

Source: https://www.lfmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3143

KPK114.jpg

- ref. KPK72116 - Armstrong-Withworth Siskin Mk.III & III.DC Double kit

Source: https://www.lfmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3144

KPK116.jpg

V.P.

MattMemory2.jpg&key=454549e46694cda5ab5f

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

Dear Christkind,

I have been very good the whole year and therefore I hope I can find the Siskins under the Christmas tree. I also hope you led the hands of the Kora guys, so that their kits are way better than the Maintrack conversions that I remove from my stash just about once in a year, usually in the nostalgic period around Christmas, state once again how crude and inaccurate they are, contemplate the amount of work needed to make decent Siskin III and IIIDC representations out of them, and put them back with sad sight.

Thank you, your humblest Patrik.

You made my day Homebee.

• Haha 4

Wow! Didn't see that one coming. I'm up for a couple of these. I've still got a stash of the Matchbox kits, but I'll still build them as well as I love them. One of their nicest kits. Looking forward to trying the Kora kit though.

• Like 2

Did Maintrack do a Siskin III(DC)? I have a conversion for something called a Siskin IIIA(DC), which is the basic shape of the Matchbox kit with two cockpits. I don't think I've ever seen any evidence that such a thing existed in reality, but it could just be that I didn't look carefully enough!

Peter

Unable to resist the temptation, I ordered III + IIIDC half an hour ago. I will post some photos as soon as the kits arrive (in case that someone is not faster). I plan comparing the Kora kits to the original Matchbox and both Maintrack conversions.

The Maintrack resin conversions are indeed Siskin III and IIIDC, though the latter has been confusingly labelled as (in fact non-existent) IIIA (DC). Whereas the Siskin III conversion fuselage is not that bad and could eventually (read after quite a lot of work) produce plausible rendering of the original, the IIIDC fuselage is unusable without major surgery. It is at least 1 cm longer - 50/50 nose and tail, the relative position and the size of the cockpits is wrong, and these are just the most obvious faults.

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 2

I have some of the preceding Kora injection moulded kits and have to say they are like a throwback to the limited-run kits of the 1990s; pretty crude and in the same league as early Pavla or AML.  Heavy handed and crude details from hand-made patterns, with none of the CAD sophistication we are becoming used to nowadays. Decals are laser-printed, but probably the best parts of the kits. The parts fit is atrocious and everything needs refining/replacing. Only a slight improvement over a vacform.  In the league table of Czech producers, they are right at the bottom. But if you enjoy a (considerable) challenge, they are producing some nice subjects......  I will keep holding my nose and buying them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anybody know when Siskins were whithdrawn from Estonia army? What I have  only found about them is that there were only two of them. But were they there still in 1940?

Regards

J-W

21 hours ago, Patrik said:

The Maintrack resin conversions are indeed Siskin III and IIIDC, though the latter has been confusingly labelled as (in fact non-existent) IIIA (DC). Whereas the Siskin III conversion fuselage is not that bad and could eventually (read after quite a lot of work) produce plausible rendering of the original, the IIIDC fuselage is unusable without major surgery. It is at least 1 cm longer - 50/50 nose and tail, the relative position and the size of the cockpits is wrong, and these are just the most obvious faults.

It's worse than just confusingly labelled. It's a Siskin IIIA fuselage with a second hole drilled in the top. That's why the fuselage and tail are wrong. You might as well do the major surgery on the original Matchbox fuselage.

Unless, of course, someone knows of an odd field modification in Canada, or something of the sort. There was certainly nothing of the sort in the Alf Granger drawings.

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Christkind,

It seems I had not been as that good the whole year as I thought. OK, I have found the Siskins in my post whole 11 days before Christmas, so far so good. Unfortunately, the hands of the Kora guys were evidently led by the other guy (the one we sometimes have Sympathy For ...), who let them ignore completely the easy-to-find-fact that the early Siskins had much shorter fuselage than the IIIA. I am sad.

I just had a brief glimpse into the boxes today in the morning before I left for the office. I will make more detailed inspection during the weekend when I will post my report together with photos here too.

Patrik

• Like 1

Actually, the main production variant Siskin IIIA had a number of changes compared to the earlier Mark III:

- as mentioned, lengthened fuselage as well as raised aft decking

- greater gap and less upper wing dihedral

- redesigned vertical tail surfaces lacking the ventral fin

- super charged engine

- rounded sides replacing the earlier slab-sided fuselage

http://www.aviastar.org/air/england/arm_siskin3a.php

http://britishaviation-ptp.com/aw_siskin.html

Nice shot of Canadian Siskins, with the early Siskin III  (aircraft no.10) in the immediate foreground.  Good comparison of both the fuselage shapes and different dihidral:

9IZ0T3g.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

I purchased the Siskin III and IIIDC "British service" boxings, So let's have a look what we get for the money.

I have not seen previous Kora plastic kits live, but I read they had been rather crude. I do not think it is the case here. We get quite decent short runs, both look for sure buildable. It is of course not Special Hobby or Sword, it reminds more of e.g, RS Models kits. In both cases we get one common sprue (with the single seater fuselage in case of the Siskin III boxing) , upper an lower wings, and nice and detailed resin Jaguar engine. The IIIDC includes additional sprue with the fuselage and extra cockpit parts for the double seater. The only criticism from my side belongs to the stitching on the fuselage sides. It would look more properly on the head of a Frankenstein monster than on an airplane.

DSC-0030.jpg

DSC-0032.jpg

DSC-0041.jpg

DSC-0031.jpg

DSC-0036.jpg

DSC-0038.jpg

DSC-0043.jpg

DSC-0045.jpg

DSC-0049.jpg

The kits are clearly based on grandpa Matchbox, which is both their blessing and their undoing. It is nice that Kora writes in their instructions that "Siskin IIIA had completely new fuselage - longer, with different cross-section" and then bases their master fully on the Matchbox IIIA fuselage. The result is that the fuselages are all wrong. Far too long, too wide, too high, with wrong cross-sections.

I am going to analyze the kit faults more in detail tomorrow and I will post my findings here again. I am also planning to contact the Kora guys and ask them what the hell they were doing. Because all the references they mention in their instruction show very clearly how bad research job they did.

DSC-0054.jpg

By the way, the Matchbox fuselage is the one on the port side😀.

Edited by Patrik
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The only improvement I see is a more detailed cockpit, all Matchbox had was a seat and pilot.   Notice too, added access holes on the wheel hubs.

Engine looks similar to Matchbox, but from what I can see here, the original  was more crisp (probably owing to the fact that the cylinders were cast as two separate rows).

Yes, that stitching is bad.  Unfortunately nothing in the aftermarket to improve this area.  I've looked at PE from both Eduard and PART (from Poland), and neither has the right pattern let alone scaled to proper size.   I've had to revert to drawing up something to be applied as decals:

JVVcucj.jpg

regards,

Jack

• Like 2

On the sprues, it looks an improvement on their earlier kits, which have crude fabric surfaces.  But that's probably because these are 'lifted' off the Matchbox kit.  The dimensional errors of the fuselage are very disappointing. Sounds like it would be

better to scratchbuild a new fuselage and use the MB wings. Decals look ok and have the correct 1:2:3 proportions found on the Siskin rather than the normal RAF 1:3:5 ones.  Would be nice to see the fuselage compared with the Grainger drawings. Another point about these kits are that they are very expensive (more than 50% dearer than similar kits), which compounds the disappointment.......