1/72 Hasegawa F-4E kitology

72modeler

Is the 1/72 F-4E kit C2/702 a rebox of their first generation Phantoms, or is it one of the series of new-tools they did back in the late 90's? Is it from the same series as their excellent F-4G and F-4B/N?

Mike

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Their newer F-4E does not get re-released very often.

I just did a quick count on Scalemates, and it has been reboxed about 55 to 60 times. Granted, by far the most reboxes have been of the Japanese ones, but you can still build an early F-4E out of it

Edited by Creepy Pete

The first hasegawa F-4E did have some advantages. The initial box had the pylons for and 6 AIM-4 Falcons. The decals in the various boxings have also been good with not only the SEA Sharkmouth but also a Euro 1 (SP) black sharkmouth and a flame based sharkmouth from a PN machine. It was also released as the 5000th with extensive decals. The decals were good because I used some very old ones quite recently.

At some point the moulds must have been modified to include the slatted wing.

IIRC it was also modified and released as an F-4F with the original splinter camo and one of the experimental schemes.

• Thanks 1

Those Falcon rails are mostly just lumps of plastic. However, AFAIK they are the only ones available in that scale. 

Beware that 'EJ Kai' kits are not just standard early F-4Es. They have different wing tips and fin tip (the latter being a seperate part though).

I recently put up a lot of my Hasegawa Phantoms (almost all versions) for sale. Postage from Denmark is ridiculous though. :(

Jens

I purchased the F-4EJ "Aero Dancing" kit because it has all the parts for U.S. Phantoms (slatted wings and stabilizers, correct wing and vertical stabilizers, chaff/flare for pylons, etc.) and it was pretty inexpensive.  Got some Hi Decals for an Iranian Phantom and a nice resin cockpit.  Now just need the XMM seamless intakes to bring the cost of the kit back to what Hasegawa wants for just the F-4E "Iranian Edition". 🙂

WARDOG

One easy way to tell the older Hasegawa F-4E kits is that the box is narrower. It's about half the width and a little shorter in length. Looking at the photo of F-4E kit C2/702 at Scalemates, you can see the difference.  Same with the Hase 1/72 F-15 kits. 

Grant