Grumman F-14A - First cruise

Thank You!

Now I'm completing the restoration of another Tomcat (born in 2001 as Fast Eagle 107 will become a VF-31 bird)  but last night I saw midway and I felt like to make a dauntless!

That's a stunner, looks lovely in the old colours. 

I wish these were still around, surely they'd still be more than capable of beating down N.Koreans or Chinese or upstart Gulf region types. Why are these cool jets always retired prematurely? (Harrier being another)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Looks really great. Just to pull someone up on tall F14s being scrapped. not true. Of course none are allowed to fly there are still about a dozen or so (may be slightly more) around the States & world at museums. Definitely worth getting up close to 1.

• Like 1

A lovely build! The earlier paint schemes and markings did make them look spectacular indeed. Lovely work there and also keeping her clean of pallets and weapons.

Sadly that first cruise to Vietnam had a lot of problems with the pratt & whitney engines destroying themselves, leaving a small amount of aircraft available for flight.

Even delivery flights from Grumman were challenging, as airframes were flown to California where their engines were removed and trucked back to Bethpage to fly the next aircraft westwards. Thank goodness GE made decent engines!

On 12/22/2019 at 5:07 AM, macman6107 said:

Of course none are allowed to fly there are still about a dozen or so ... around the States & world at museums.

I'm unaware of any outside of the US in a museum. All of those in the US have been "neutered" with lots of gear removed because of the Iran issue.

It's interesting to note that the claim for the TOPGUN2 movie is that "all the flying is real"... which makes me wonder about the Tom in flight.

Hopefully it is like the F-117'a "all being grounded"...!

EDIT: The only Tom outside of the US seems to be in Japan at Atsugi base.

https://www.f-14association.com/on-display/f-14-tomcats-on-display.html 

Edited by hairystick
  • Like 2

On 12/22/2019 at 10:57 PM, hairystick said:

I'm unaware of any outside of the US in a museum. All of those in the US have been "neutered" with lots of gear removed because of the Iran issue.

It's interesting to note that the claim for the TOPGUN2 movie is that "all the flying is real"... which makes me wonder about the Tom in flight.

Hopefully it is like the F-117'a "all being grounded"...!

I know there was talk of a Tomcat being on display in Australia, can't say if that ever happened or not now as I don't keep on top of things there as I no longer live there.

re Top GUn II that was my thoughts exactly. I saw pics of a Tomcat on the flight deck of a carrier which obvioulsy was lifted there. What role it had in the movie though I have no idea.

• Like 1