Grumman F-14A - First cruise

Nice to see a fairly clean F-14 for a change. To bad that none can be kept flyable,(damn politics) never got to see one in flight. Only saw two parked at an airshow. Canada was seriously considering buying them at some point.

Edited by busnproplinerfan
  • Like 1

Thank You all

@busnproplinerfan I lived in Italy and I didn't even have the luck to see it on the ground :(

@Andy350 u.s. navy tomcats was grounded in 2006 and every frames was shredded to prevent any components from being acquired by Iran

@Booty003The decals are from the Wolfpack dedicated box that contains decals for four very early subject and the early beaver tail

48673753112_1f878333e0_b.jpg

• Like 5

Not my scale but that is lovely. Superb early scheme Tomcat. Only one thing would have made it better - A model Tomcats used shut down with the Port engine nozzle closed and the Starboard open.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank You Malcolm

I see many models with the asymmetric configuration of the exhaust nozzles but a few real photos in which it is evident. I was inspired by this one (I miss the name of the aircraft carrier on the tails)

49129810452_3e6bc0f116_c.jpg

in any case I also painted the closed nozzles so it would easy to fix

Edited by Pierpaolo
correction
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Pierpaolo said:

Thank You Malcolm

I see many models with the asymmetric configuration of the exhaust nozzles but a few real photos in which it is evident. I was inspired by this one (I miss the name of the aircraft carrier on the tails)

49129810452_3e6bc0f116_c.jpg

in any case I also painted the closed nozzles so it would easy to fix

Well there was bound to be at least one picture to prove me wrong! In normal practice this was very unusual - see http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-detail-engine.htm

Your model is lovely whatever configuration the nozzles are set.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very nice. My favourite Tomcat scheme VF-1 Wolfpack. 

Don't wish to hijack this thread too much, but I have a few Tomcat models to do, so it is interesting to me and I'm sure a few others. So, I believe the asymmetric engine nozzles are caused by hydraulic bleed off over time, after shutdown. So any configuration would be ok. 

Stand to be corrected on that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Smudge said:

Very nice. My favourite Tomcat scheme VF-1 Wolfpack. 

Don't wish to hijack this thread too much, but I have a few Tomcat models to do, so it is interesting to me and I'm sure a few others. So, I believe the asymmetric engine nozzles are caused by hydraulic bleed off over time, after shutdown. So any configuration would be ok. 

Stand to be corrected on that.

Hello Smudge - it's a lot more complicated - and interesting - than that. See link above. I had the good fortune of spending time with Tomcat Pilots and fixers at a number of places around the world and I said as much to one of them once which fortunately (or unfortunately - whichever you look at it) lead to a tutorial/lecture on the finer points of Tomcat hydraulic and nozzle actuator systems. It was an amazingly complex (and beautiful) machine!

Cheers

Malcolm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1