I'm Jenny From the Blob (of hideous yellow styrene) - with apologies to J-Lo! *** COMPLETE ***

clive_t

20 hours ago, Gorby said:

Excellent job Clive!

And thanks for reminding me why I don't do biplanes. :thumbsup:

Thanks Gorby, and you're welcome! I am now reminding myself why I shouldn't do biplanes!

21 hours ago, Brandy said:

Very nicely done!

See? Rigging is simples!

Ian

Thanks Ian, yes I had a feeling it would be... :banghead:

As if to underline that, I then had the sting in the tail - literally! The rigging of the control wires and the stabilising wires for the elevators and rudder:

s9paUkv.jpg

One casualty - the rudder fell off as I was fitting the second rudder control wire! To be fair I was half expecting it, as the joint was identified as being quite weak when I cut and fitted my custom 'Canuck' style rudder. Still, some CA glue appears to have given it a little more stability.

Here's how it looks overall right now:

Pibh6zJ.jpg

Still to do:

• Fit the wing skids (for the avoidance of any unpleasantness arising from a non-level landing, apparently) - I can find nothing to suggest what they were made of, so I am going with wood
  • Fit the undercarriage and tail skid
  • Fit and rig the king posts on the top wing
  • Fit the engine and the cowling
  • Finish off the remaining rigging from the wings to the nose
  • Fit prop

I guess that could be construed as 'rounding the final bend'!

• Like 14

17 hours ago, Marklo said:

That looks great. Somehow that rigging looks insanely complex.

Apologies, Marklo, for missing your comment! Old age is a burden that does not sit well with me I'm afraid. But thanks! Sorry, what was your name again? :D

• Haha 3

Sorry I missed the beginning of this one last year as I have a book with the J Nieto drawings and you might have been interested.  Anyway, I’ve certainly enjoyed catching up and I think you’ve got a real winner going there.  

I expect I probably built one or two of these those many, many, years ago.  All tube glue and wonky wings.

Cheers

Dennis

resized_f3ccfc64-7db0-4d7b-9d06-0300fa4f

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looks fantastic!  Regarding the rigging, I read somewhere that the test was - put a bird in-between the wings, and if it can find it's way out, the rigging isn't complete!

• Thanks 1

Thanks, all, for your comments and inputs.

Definitely in the final straight now, with the undercarriage, wing skids and tail skid now fixed in place:

vmGSsnx.jpg

This afternoon, I fitted the king posts in preparation for some rigging tomorrow:

uaOP21I.jpg

Only the engine, the cowling, the prop, and some final nose rigging to go!

• Like 9

Thanks, Chris, much appreciated.

Well, here she is in all her finery, fully rigged (as far as I am concerned, anyway!) with engine, cowling and prop all in place:

G3JSo4V.jpg

GAoUu8G.jpg

Finally, a close up of the engine in situ:

17NsI3K.jpg

The moulded on securing straps were removed, and replaced with thin strips of Tamiya masking tape painted a leather colour. The cowling has been left loose, as it won't come off unless I want it to, and I think I would like to have the opportunity to show off the engine detail should the fancy take me!

I may try and put the suggestion of an exhaust stain but I am not in the mood for that at the moment.

Thanks for watching, and your comments of course :thumbsup2:

• Like 11

On 7/24/2020 at 1:08 PM, Ted said:

Great conversion. Nicely detailed and weathered too. 

Thanks Ted, much appreciated.

On 7/24/2020 at 5:17 PM, Biggu said:

What a MASTERPIECE, Clive !!

Thanks Jeff!

On 7/24/2020 at 10:23 PM, Shorty84 said:

Wow, great result. You really transformed this old kit and gave it a new lease of life 👍

Cheers

Markus

Thanks Markus :thumbsup2:

Well, I think I am going to call this one done now. A little light weathering using some weathering powders around the exhausts and here and there, and that's that. RFI can be found here.

Thanks again for everyone's interest!

• Like 1

• clive_t changed the title to I'm Jenny From the Blob (of hideous yellow styrene) - with apologies to J-Lo! *** COMPLETE ***

Looks wonderful, particularly impressed with the rigging and the double wires. 

I see you’ve used eyelets, but can’t quite make out how you’ve finished the lines. Are they just looped back in themselves and stuck or are you using tube/hestshrink etc ? A few close ups would be appreciated.

I might just point out that since I sometimes go by m-lo my daughter is thus J-lo ( not the famous one) so the thread title always makes me smile.

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is wonderful Cliff, far better than the original deserved. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve, most kind :thumbsup2:

12 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Absolutely stunning, what a fantastic job, rigging looks great and your paint finish is superb.  Good idea with the removable cowling too.

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris, of course it only now occurs to me that I missed the opportunity to take an RFI photo with the cowling off... maybe I will remedy that later

12 hours ago, John Masters said:

Lovely.  A real gem!  

Thank you John!

13 hours ago, Marklo said:

Looks wonderful, particularly impressed with the rigging and the double wires. 

I see you’ve used eyelets, but can’t quite make out how you’ve finished the lines. Are they just looped back in themselves and stuck or are you using tube/hestshrink etc ? A few close ups would be appreciated.

I might just point out that since I sometimes go by m-lo my daughter is thus J-lo ( not the famous one) so the thread title always makes me smile.

Thanks, I keep looking at them and wondering if I should pinch the metal loops together so that the double lines are closer together, but the fear factor is real now! The lines are just looped back and twisted round once, and glued with a dab of CA before cutting off the excess. The knitting-in elastic seems to take that very well without my usual trauma associated with glueing EZ Line. Here's as good a close-up as I can get with my not-very-smart phone!

uTrZj3y.jpg

QaJUAAy.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I reckon it looks good just the way it is Clive , sometimes it's best to fear the fear. :) 

Steve.

(Sorry for the name slip before, I was on my smart phone, pity about the no so smart driver. ;) )  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

(Sorry for the name slip before, I was on my smart phone, pity about the no so smart driver. ;) )  

No worries, I've been called worse things - mainly by the wife - so I must be doing something right :D

• Haha 1