British "Wyvern" S.4

I gave the build some highlights, mixing a little white into the grey and azure blue paint. Then once dry, with fingers crossed removed the masking, and I'm pretty happy with the results. 

IMG_20200314_225623

I have just sealed the paintwork in, and tomorrow plan to mask her up again for the black stripes. 

• Like 9

8 hours ago, Shelliecool said:

I'm pretty happy with the results. 

…and so you should be Shellie - that looks marvellous :) 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have been working on the Wyvern, in between home schooling, working online and building the Victor (the latter has taken up most of my creative time if I'm honest!). So, with the black stripes down I carefully unmasked the build, preying there was no bleeds onto the rest of the paint work🤞....... And luckily, there wasn't! 

2020-03-29_09-26-12

And I have to say I'm pretty happy with the result! Now onto decals, the nose and undercarriage. 

• Like 8

Superb reveal there Shellie. Removing masking is always a big step, sometimes with a few anticipated challenges to resolve, other times a joy!

Great progress on this superb looking aircraft. You can tell I love a Wyvern, yes?

Terry

• Thanks 1

Since my last post I have been a busy bee working on the Wyvern. Firstly I applied the decals. These were fantastic, easy to apply, left the backing paper well and settled smoothly with Micro Sol. Once they were dry, I sealed them in with Quick Shine gloss varnish. Then it was time for some subtle weathering. For this i mixed up a dirt wash and began a panel line pin wash. Then when that was dry, I added some rust patches in the wheel wells. 

IMG_20200404_174324

Happy with the effects, I carefully masked the props to airbrush the yellow tips and gave the spinner an undercoat of white. 

IMG_20200330_170021

Once the undercoat was dry I airbrushed the spinner red. The white undercoat worked a treat, the red took well and looked vibrant. 

IMG_20200330_170944

I then began attaching the undercarriage and undercarriage doors. This area of the kit is fantastic, everything attaches easily and has nice locating pins. Happy with the struts, I attached the wheels, so finally she could sit on all 3 wheels. 

IMG_20200404_202349

Then, with the red paint dry I built the nose and props and secured them the aircraft. 

IMG_20200404_202402

Nearly there, only the wing assembly and varnish and shes done. 

Edited by Shelliecool
  • Like 11

The time had come to mount the folding wings on the pins, and encourage them to stay in the right position. There are 2 small holes in the outer section of wing, which are designed to slot onto the pins on the small section of wing near the fuselage. Now they fit together really well, but the holes are not very deep, so once connected it all feels slightly flimsy. However, they are on and in position. With these set in place, my final task of giving her a coat of satin varnish was a simple one. I mixed up some Vallejo satin with thinner and sprayed away.......and here she is, complete! 

IMG_20200405_154141 IMG_20200405_154152 IMG_20200405_154209 IMG_20200405_154225 IMG_20200405_154233 IMG_20200405_154252

I have really enjoyed this build, the kit was really good quality and went together well. Most of all I have grown to love this unique looking bit of kit. Thanks for joining me, I will post some more photos in the ready for inspection forum. 

• Like 17

• 10 months later...

I am completely stunned to find this Fleet Air Arm Westland Wyvern thread today! My father flew the Wyvern (830 squadron) from [?] either HMS Eagle or HMS Bulwark, during the Suez Crisis (Operation Musketeer) in 1956.

That is a stunningly beautiful model you have made. It is also quite emotional for me to see, and it is a privilege to view these gorgeous photos of it. There seem to be some fans of this unusual and largely ignored aircraft type, which I didn't realise was so, and that's wonderful.

Dad flew in 374 almost always, and said she was his favourite in the group of airframes available (even though all were AFAIK identical). He never saw a MiG over Egypt, and dropped significant ordnance without incident.

He died in 2013, and I am still going through his Fleet Air Arm history and legacy, which is stored at my sister's (very large) house. I don't know why I've been so slow, and there's a lot of things I do hope to find. Maybe I'm afraid I'll never find them, in some way - and my memories are so old they probably aren't very accurate. I never asked him about it all nearly enough, for some reason. I think we've all heard that lament - all too late.

I will post some photos when I get sufficiently organised (both finding photos I either know or hope exist, and learning how to post them here), but reading this thread has certainly urged me to get on with it.

More later - but he made a 1:72 model of 374 which I have, which needs a lot of repair. I now intend to eventually ask here for help in restoring it. It isn't a plastic kit - he carved it from balsa, or bought/improvised/adapted whatever hobby materials were available, whenever he made it. Sadly, all his models of planes he actually flew in service were damaged and had parts missing, from the cleaners at the nursing home he spent his last years at. Only one other is a handmade wooden model (Fairey Gannet; ASW type) - the others he flew were Douglas Skyraider AEW, Hawker Sea Hawk and de Havillland Vampire, which were basic plastic 1:72 kits (probably Airfix?) he built later, which I won't go into here.

But -I want to restore them, as best I can! 

Edited by Charles H
my mistake correction
  • Like 1