British "Wyvern" S.4

The time had come to start cutting some plastic and sticking bits together! I started with the cockpit and seat. These are small (as you would expect) and fiddly, but with some perseverance and tweezers I managed to get the pedals amongst other things to stay in place! Once dry I will airbrush on some colour.

2019-12-01_11-00-45

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Back to work after a long Christmas break. I have continued working on the cockpit, adding detailing to the pilots seat, pedals and interior panels. Then I fixed the seat in place, added the control column and began painting the instrument panel.

IMG_20200103_223457

Once this is dry I will apply the transfer and fix the instrument panel in place. Slow progress but back at it now.

• Like 9

Since my last post I have continued to work on the cockpit interior. Fixing the transfer to the instrument panel and securing the clear piece over the top. I have placed the sides on and added some painted detail to the instruments on them.

IMG_20200108_225244

I have also airbrushed the silver pieces that build up the propeller and it's housing. The kit would have you fit the propeller in place from the beginning, I tend to leave this to last which makes airbrushing easier. Do I fit it or wait and do it at the end?

IMG_20200108_223237

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Shelliecool said:

The kit would have you fit the propeller in place from the beginning, I tend to leave this to last which makes airbrushing easier. Do I fit it or wait and do it at the end?

I'm with you Michelle - paint it / them separately and leave fixing it until the end.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CedB said:

I'm with you Michelle - paint it / them separately and leave fixing it until the end.

Absolutely, the best method. For me the same applies to undercarriage legs etc.

Martin

• Like 2

Once the paint had dried on the interior I fixed it I to one half of the fuselage, along with the nose cone. Then I joined the halves together, this was a real squeeze but with brute force I managed to secure them.

IMG_20200116_173245 IMG_20200116_173250

Then I turned my attention to the wings (roots) fitting the top section to the underside.

IMG_20200116_173300

This went smoothly and without drama. Once the glue was dry I removed the tape from the fuselage,and discovered that it would need quite a bit of Sanding to remove the seams. I set to work with some Perfect Plastic Putty, and went over it with Mr.Surfacer 1000. After several coats I began sanding. I hate seam sanding so have been working on it in small bursts, and am finally happy with the results.

IMG_20200118_212804

• Like 14

9 hours ago, Gazontipede said:

It's starting to look a real treat!

This is one of my all time favourite aircraft and I too have one of these in the stash.

So if no-one minds, I'll belatedly tag along as well and make notes!

Welcome aboard 🙂

Michelle.

• 3 weeks later...

Since my last post I have been working on the canopy, several dry fits revealed that it didn't fit! The front piece was fine, the back was way too narrow! Lots of attempts at widening the back section helped but it still required a lot of force to make it fit. But fit it finally did.....................

IMG_20200206_163113

Once the glue was dry and the canopy was stuck in place, I added a little filler to the gaps (there were still some), and left it to dry. Then I constructed the airbrakes, and began work on the wing roots.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Since my last post I have primed the fuselage and wings using thinned vallejo primer, this is really thick so definitely needs thinning to 5:1. Once this had dried (takes at least 24 hours), I gave it another blast where my Mr. Surfacer was still slightly visible. Again I left this overnight, and today i have carefully preshaded the panel lines. I used vallejo Nato black for this, and I'm pretty happy with the results. 

IMG_20200219_111236

IMG_20200219_111243

IMG_20200219_111249

IMG_20200219_111305

IMG_20200219_111310

Once this has dried I will mask it up ready for some colour. 

• Like 11

Love the Wyvern, and this kit looks good. I hadn't realised the Trumpeter one was as good as it seems to be. I have a CMR in the stash, and will definitely need another, so maybe I'll pick one of these up.

Nice job thus far Shellie.

Terry

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Love the Wyvern, and this kit looks good. I hadn't realised the Trumpeter one was as good as it seems to be. I have a CMR in the stash, and will definitely need another, so maybe I'll pick one of these up.

Terry

Both 72nd and 48th Trumpeter Wyverns are very nice kits, definitely a product of their 'A Team', I have seen it written somewhere that the kit designer was the same person from Dynavector, unsure how true that is but would explain why they are so good.

Definitely invest in one Terry.

Lovely work there Michelle, you're doing this forgotten type some justice there!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

With the panel line dry time came to mask her up. There are no decals for the invasion stripes (I would have airbrushed them anyway, but used the decals as a size guide), so by eye I masked up the striped and Grey areas. Then I mixed up some sky and airbrushed a light coat of it onto the build. 

2020-02-23_11-21-19 2020-02-23_11-21-29

The vallejo acrylic settled well, so I left it to dry overnight. The following day I gave it another light coat, leaving some of the panel lines visible. 

Today, I mixed in a little white and airbrushed some highlights/ wear marks. 

2020-02-23_11-21-46

2020-02-23_11-21-54

Once dry I will seal it in with Quick shine gloss, and mask up for the yellow invasion stripes. 

• Like 7

Time had come to mask up the invasion stripes, there are not any decals for this (so it needed to be done using a ruler and calculator). After a bit of head scratching and muttering i finally had the black stripes masked, and the yellow ready for some paint. I mixed up some Vallejo yellow and began to spray. It was only a light coat, but it settled well and looked good. Its now drying, ready for another coat. 

2020-03-01_05-45-52 2020-03-01_05-46-01

• Like 6

I've had one of these stuck at the stage you were at in Post 35 for the last 5 years! I really want to get on with it again now that I have seen this one making progress.

Duncan B

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

With another coat of yellow down and sealed in, I masked up the aircraft to begin airbrushing the Dark sea grey. There isn't an exact Vallejo equivalent, so I opted to use Vallejo Dark sea grey mixed with a few drops of Azure Blue. This sprayed and settled well, and I am pretty pleased with the progress so far. 

IMG_20200309_215400

The photo doesn't really show the true colour, it isnt actually this dark. 

• Like 7