Opinions on 1/144 propliner kits

Gooney Fan

Hi Gooney Fan,

The Roden Brittania is a very nice kit, have look at the stunner that Dave Skodadriver was able to make from it, and also his very helpful guide to building it.

And the equally outstanding one Ian Turbofan produced

And if you fancy a military one, I did one in RAF colours.

The F-Rsin Viscount is much more 'short run' and needs careful work to get the best from it, based on my own experience of their kits. I haven't built their Viscount but have done several others from their range.

I'm sure others will be along soon with their own views on both kits!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gooney Fan said:

Hello

Has anybody got experience of the F-resin plastic Viscount 700 and the Roden Britannia kits?

Gooney Fan

Yes - both of them although neither exactly counts as "modern"!

The F-RSIN Viscount 700 is fourth from the top in my 2018 Yearbook entry and as John Viking has very flatteringly pointed out I built the Roden Britannia for the Airliner III Group Build in 2016.

If you have no experience of F-RSIN kits, be aware that they are "short run", again as John has pointed out. The mouldings can be a bit rough and the final result will be in direct proportion to the amount of work you put into the build. From what I remember of the Viscount the scribing on the fuselage was very poor and I ended up filling most of it in. (Oddly the scribing on the Viscount 800 which I have in my stash is much better). The props were unusable and I ended up buying a set of metal ones from Welsh Models. These issues are pretty much par for the course with short run mouldings and on the plus side the kit gives you the choice of straight or bulged engine nacelles and radar or non-radar noses. F-RSIN also try to give you the choice of round or square tipped prop blades but as I said earlier that didn't work and I bought metal replacements. I enjoyed the build and although I wouldn't class the finished model as one of my best I'm quite happy with it. The Viscount 700 would be a good first F-RSIN kit, much easier than any version of their Caravelle. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

You can read the build thread on the Britannia for yourself. Again I enjoyed building it and had no real problems although there were a couple of minor issues with the engines and the props.

Hope that's some help.

Dave G

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trenton guy said:

The Viscount has been released and is very nice indeed. Only a 700 now but an 800 is in prospect.

£46.99 at Hannants. :wacko:

Thanks but no thanks, not with F-RSIN at €19

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

I can't understand why they are priced so highly. They seem to have caught a dose of Hasegawaitis.

Sad but true.  There are a few in the range I fancy like the Herald, DHC-8 etc but nearly 40 quid each ...no thanks.