Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Mutley

Revels 1/48 Tornado F3 ADV

Recommended Posts

Time to bite the bullet. Back in May I was asked by a friend of mine to build a Tonka for him. There was one on 56Sqn that he worked on regularly and that's the one he wants built, but could I actually do 2. 1 for him, 1 for someone else on the Sqn.
"Not a problem" Said I. "What scale??" Errrrrrr. I'd like So big, Right, 1/48.
Never having built that scale, this is going to be fun. I managed to track down 2 and was about to go extras shopping when the offer of the Eduard kit happened, so now, I have 3 - 1 for me!

VZShkdc.jpg

So, here we go! The last Revell I build was their 1/72 Lancaster, and I was mighty disappointed, but I had been advised that this was a good kit (and fell within budget) and looking through the boxes, I was nicely impressed with the detail and mould quality



Starting with the seats, as you do. I was quite happy until I'd finished and looked into the Warpaint book (and the GR4 at Duxford)

ivtKFMG.jpg

Great Reference - 

EMRb445.jpg

 

Working on the cockpit, going to be the kit one. and only the one done on day 1 (as I was off to play with the Southend Vulcan)

I sanded down all the raised controls on the sides and screens, because I wanted the decals provided to sit flat. Sadly, I'm not great on the fine detail, so rather than muck it up. I decided onto a flat part would be better.

Hopefully its not too bad;

gndEQHy.jpg

 

I then couldn't resist adding the seats for a quick idea of how it would look (Still need to be de-blacked)

5DA55Di.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice!

Take care with assembling the fuselage! Could be tricky!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really wasn’t sure while building this kit but it turns out nicely.  I am sure you have enjoyed was all of the pitfalls - the intakes, fitting the flaps ( instructions may well be upside down etc) and so on.  Good start though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, exdraken said:

Nice!

Take care with assembling the fuselage! Could be tricky!

 

13 hours ago, bar side said:

Really wasn’t sure while building this kit but it turns out nicely.  I am sure you have enjoyed was all of the pitfalls - the intakes, fitting the flaps ( instructions may well be upside down etc) and so on.  Good start though.

Thanks, Yep, I have decided after a few Revell kits, "following the instructions" isn't a pre-requisite as would you believe, some things are the wrong side/upside down! But, I can't fault the moulds, nice and clean, and the fit is generally good. So fit twice, check reference, fit, fit, and when Totally happy then consider using glue 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Mutley said:

 

Thanks, Yep, I have decided after a few Revell kits, "following the instructions" isn't a pre-requisite as would you believe, some things are the wrong side/upside down! But, I can't fault the moulds, nice and clean, and the fit is generally good. So fit twice, check reference, fit, fit, and when Totally happy then consider using glue 😀

maybe this thread is of further help:

cheers,

Werner

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/11/2019 at 12:48, Mutley said:

Time to bite the bullet. Back in May I was asked by a friend of mine to build a Tonka for him. There was one on 56Sqn that he worked on regularly and that's the one he wants built, but could I actually do 2. 1 for him, 1 for someone else on the Sqn.
"Not a problem" Said I. "What scale??" Errrrrrr. I'd like So big, Right, 1/48.
Never having built that scale, this is going to be fun. I managed to track down 2 and was about to go extras shopping when the offer of the Eduard kit happened, so now, I have 3 - 1 for me!

VZShkdc.jpg

So, here we go! The last Revell I build was their 1/72 Lancaster, and I was mighty disappointed, but I had been advised that this was a good kit (and fell within budget) and looking through the boxes, I was nicely impressed with the detail and mould quality



Starting with the seats, as you do. I was quite happy until I'd finished and looked into the Warpaint book (and the GR4 at Duxford)

ivtKFMG.jpg

Great Reference - 

EMRb445.jpg

 

Working on the cockpit, going to be the kit one. and only the one done on day 1 (as I was off to play with the Southend Vulcan)

I sanded down all the raised controls on the sides and screens, because I wanted the decals provided to sit flat. Sadly, I'm not great on the fine detail, so rather than muck it up. I decided onto a flat part would be better.

Hopefully its not too bad;

gndEQHy.jpg

 

I then couldn't resist adding the seats for a quick idea of how it would look (Still need to be de-blacked)

5DA55Di.jpg

Mate,

 

If your building these for folks who worked on them the one thing that will really make a difference would be a couple of Resin seats.

 

I've used the Pavla ones, there only £2.25  each !! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2019 at 6:16 PM, Paulaero said:

Mate,

 

If your building these for folks who worked on them the one thing that will really make a difference would be a couple of Resin seats.

 

I've used the Pavla ones, there only £2.25  each !! 

Thanks, but as it'll be closed, barely any of the details will be seen, sadly. But thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back at the bench this weekend, Yay! The benefits of a weeks work, peace, quiet and undisturbed binging on TV and plastic assemblage.

I got a bit done before I realised I hadn't taken pixs.

spacer.png

Once I got the main wheel bays washed with a bit of black to add some highlights, then mated them to the shell and added the intake tunnels, which I had spent hours fettling and sanding the seams, and then adding the turbines, and I asked myself why I was concerned about colour? you can't see anything!

spacer.png



Cockpit surrounds added, and it looks like an aeroplane

spacer.png

But i was annoyingly left with a nasty seam line which I filled with a thinned Vallejo putty, just need to rescribe some of the detail.

spacer.png

 

And then, the wings! What is nice about the Revell kit is that it contains a mechanism to keep the hardpoints pointing forwards no matter the wing sweep. Though, lets be honest, the Tornado rarely swept wings on the ground, so will be fully open. But a I lost a little clear part 5 times (there's only 4 of the buggers!)

spacer.png 

And do be careful when sniping, as I managed to remove one of the flap guides. Thankfully, it can be replaced and be an 'invisible' repair when putting together with the flaps up



Think the wings took me most of Sunday, but now that's 2 airframes, 4 wings, one set of tired eyes, and an achy back (I need a new chair) Rock on next weekend and more work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You seem to be much further on with yours than I am with the one I started months ago.😥😊

 

If you’re building the model with wings fully forward you’ll need to modify the leading edge of the part of the wing that goes inside the fuselage.  @general melchett covered this in his (hopefully pinned). WIP thread on the GR. 1(4).  Essentially there is a rib on the fore part of the inboard wing part which needs removing, otherwise it will foul the internal cross brace and prevent the wings from reaching minimum sweep angle; consequently you may find reduced or no clearance between lowered flaps and fuselage sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the heads up Steve👍, I'll have a look at the Generals GR4 build.

 

As for being 'further along' I dunno, I technically started in May when I got the kits and did some priming ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The weekend saw me with a doozy of a headache, I just wish it had beer in its origins. Onwards, glue and paint fumes help, right? So I set about the wings. I started some preassembly paint masking. And also the flaps, before realising it won't be seen! (wombat) first cockup of the day... 

LZx9dTe.jpg

 

Next up, having decided this will have the flaps up, cut off the flap mechanism and put the closed flaps together. 

However, do check the parts you cut off for the flap assembly, as the kit has 2 versions. Folded away and extended, in a headache fugged brain, I spent an age trying to get the extended part to fit as closed, and wonder why I was failing. Its because it doesn't fit!  

7iuWYCb.jpg

 

And finally, that's 1 wing complete... 

CHNJCyT.jpg

 

Thankfully, the 2nd wing went together much better, and quicker. But I am tempted to break out the wings in the 3rd kit that is on the shelf, and set them as flaps dropped just to see how it looks. 

And come the end of the weekend, I had 2 F3s looking closer like aeroplanes

PazM1i0.jpg

 

Hopefully next week will have the engines started, and the bodywork attached

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That break over christmas has helped the ol mojo on this pair of F3s

Some airflow vanes added thanks to the Generals build thread, doesn't do much, but once you know, then you can't not add them (well, I can't) 

spacer.png

 

Took a while to fettle the Intake cover piece - I'm dreading doing the 2nd Tonka, it just isnt sitting well on dry fit.

Quick fill because of some glove gappage, that's user error not kit issue

spacer.png

 

Needed a shim due to a small fit issue with the thrust reverser housing and a gap. 

 

spacer.png

 

After a half day back at the bench, I'm exhausted... 😉

Makes me laugh that all the work that goes into the detail, and then gets covered up. 

spacer.png

 

This is how they look tonight, doesn't look a lot done, but keeping 2 on the go and at the same place is triksy. It's very easy to just plough on with just the one. 

spacer.png

 

More tomorrow. hopefully Tonka 2 will not throw up too many issues

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I managed a few more hours this week. Managed to get the 2nd set of exhausts started (sorry, no pics) and the intakes/covers fettled and ready.

 

Then onto the mighty tail itself. I do find a day doing sub assemblies can be as productive as a day on the main build itself. 

Masking out the heat exchanger shroud

spacer.png

Black undercoat, then AK Extreme Metal Titanium on top

spacer.png

 

I thought this would come out a lot closer to a dull aluminium, but looking at the dried paint, seems to be ok. 

 

And of course, a dry fit.

3h6LRW3.jpg

The Might Fin taking another step forward. 

Slow day, but I'll take the result of 2 Tornados with nearly complete FIN, Would like to be getting done quicker, but 1. I hate having to redo work.  2. Work keeps sending me away, so I can't get on.

 

Hoping I get some bench time at the weekend, but unlikely, the family seem to think I should spend time with them. 

Edited by Mutley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...