Revels 1/48 Tornado F3 ADV

Mutley

Time to bite the bullet. Back in May I was asked by a friend of mine to build a Tonka for him. There was one on 56Sqn that he worked on regularly and that's the one he wants built, but could I actually do 2. 1 for him, 1 for someone else on the Sqn.
"Not a problem" Said I. "What scale??" Errrrrrr. I'd like So big, Right, 1/48.
Never having built that scale, this is going to be fun. I managed to track down 2 and was about to go extras shopping when the offer of the Eduard kit happened, so now, I have 3 - 1 for me!

VZShkdc.jpg

So, here we go! The last Revell I build was their 1/72 Lancaster, and I was mighty disappointed, but I had been advised that this was a good kit (and fell within budget) and looking through the boxes, I was nicely impressed with the detail and mould quality

Starting with the seats, as you do. I was quite happy until I'd finished and looked into the Warpaint book (and the GR4 at Duxford)

ivtKFMG.jpg

Great Reference - 

EMRb445.jpg

Working on the cockpit, going to be the kit one. and only the one done on day 1 (as I was off to play with the Southend Vulcan)

I sanded down all the raised controls on the sides and screens, because I wanted the decals provided to sit flat. Sadly, I'm not great on the fine detail, so rather than muck it up. I decided onto a flat part would be better.

Hopefully its not too bad;

gndEQHy.jpg

I then couldn't resist adding the seats for a quick idea of how it would look (Still need to be de-blacked)

5DA55Di.jpg

• Like 8

Really wasn’t sure while building this kit but it turns out nicely.  I am sure you have enjoyed was all of the pitfalls - the intakes, fitting the flaps ( instructions may well be upside down etc) and so on.  Good start though.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, exdraken said:

Nice!

Take care with assembling the fuselage! Could be tricky!

13 hours ago, bar side said:

Really wasn’t sure while building this kit but it turns out nicely.  I am sure you have enjoyed was all of the pitfalls - the intakes, fitting the flaps ( instructions may well be upside down etc) and so on.  Good start though.

Thanks, Yep, I have decided after a few Revell kits, "following the instructions" isn't a pre-requisite as would you believe, some things are the wrong side/upside down! But, I can't fault the moulds, nice and clean, and the fit is generally good. So fit twice, check reference, fit, fit, and when Totally happy then consider using glue 😀

4 hours ago, Mutley said:

Thanks, Yep, I have decided after a few Revell kits, "following the instructions" isn't a pre-requisite as would you believe, some things are the wrong side/upside down! But, I can't fault the moulds, nice and clean, and the fit is generally good. So fit twice, check reference, fit, fit, and when Totally happy then consider using glue 😀

maybe this thread is of further help:

cheers,

Werner

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2019 at 6:16 PM, Paulaero said:

Mate,

If your building these for folks who worked on them the one thing that will really make a difference would be a couple of Resin seats.

I've used the Pavla ones, there only £2.25  each !! 

Thanks, but as it'll be closed, barely any of the details will be seen, sadly. But thanks

Back at the bench this weekend, Yay! The benefits of a weeks work, peace, quiet and undisturbed binging on TV and plastic assemblage.

I got a bit done before I realised I hadn't taken pixs.

spacer.png

Once I got the main wheel bays washed with a bit of black to add some highlights, then mated them to the shell and added the intake tunnels, which I had spent hours fettling and sanding the seams, and then adding the turbines, and I asked myself why I was concerned about colour? you can't see anything!

spacer.png

Cockpit surrounds added, and it looks like an aeroplane

spacer.png

But i was annoyingly left with a nasty seam line which I filled with a thinned Vallejo putty, just need to rescribe some of the detail.

spacer.png

And then, the wings! What is nice about the Revell kit is that it contains a mechanism to keep the hardpoints pointing forwards no matter the wing sweep. Though, lets be honest, the Tornado rarely swept wings on the ground, so will be fully open. But a I lost a little clear part 5 times (there's only 4 of the buggers!)

spacer.png 

And do be careful when sniping, as I managed to remove one of the flap guides. Thankfully, it can be replaced and be an 'invisible' repair when putting together with the flaps up

Think the wings took me most of Sunday, but now that's 2 airframes, 4 wings, one set of tired eyes, and an achy back (I need a new chair) Rock on next weekend and more work.

• Like 3

You seem to be much further on with yours than I am with the one I started months ago.😥😊

If you’re building the model with wings fully forward you’ll need to modify the leading edge of the part of the wing that goes inside the fuselage.  @general melchett covered this in his (hopefully pinned). WIP thread on the GR. 1(4).  Essentially there is a rib on the fore part of the inboard wing part which needs removing, otherwise it will foul the internal cross brace and prevent the wings from reaching minimum sweep angle; consequently you may find reduced or no clearance between lowered flaps and fuselage sides.

• Like 2

The weekend saw me with a doozy of a headache, I just wish it had beer in its origins. Onwards, glue and paint fumes help, right? So I set about the wings. I started some preassembly paint masking. And also the flaps, before realising it won't be seen! (wombat) first cockup of the day... 

LZx9dTe.jpg

Next up, having decided this will have the flaps up, cut off the flap mechanism and put the closed flaps together. 

However, do check the parts you cut off for the flap assembly, as the kit has 2 versions. Folded away and extended, in a headache fugged brain, I spent an age trying to get the extended part to fit as closed, and wonder why I was failing. Its because it doesn't fit!  

7iuWYCb.jpg

And finally, that's 1 wing complete... 

CHNJCyT.jpg

Thankfully, the 2nd wing went together much better, and quicker. But I am tempted to break out the wings in the 3rd kit that is on the shelf, and set them as flaps dropped just to see how it looks. 

And come the end of the weekend, I had 2 F3s looking closer like aeroplanes

PazM1i0.jpg

Hopefully next week will have the engines started, and the bodywork attached

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

That break over christmas has helped the ol mojo on this pair of F3s

Some airflow vanes added thanks to the Generals build thread, doesn't do much, but once you know, then you can't not add them (well, I can't) 

spacer.png

Took a while to fettle the Intake cover piece - I'm dreading doing the 2nd Tonka, it just isnt sitting well on dry fit.

Quick fill because of some glove gappage, that's user error not kit issue

spacer.png

Needed a shim due to a small fit issue with the thrust reverser housing and a gap. 

spacer.png

After a half day back at the bench, I'm exhausted... 😉

Makes me laugh that all the work that goes into the detail, and then gets covered up. 

spacer.png

This is how they look tonight, doesn't look a lot done, but keeping 2 on the go and at the same place is triksy. It's very easy to just plough on with just the one. 

spacer.png

More tomorrow. hopefully Tonka 2 will not throw up too many issues

• Like 3

I managed a few more hours this week. Managed to get the 2nd set of exhausts started (sorry, no pics) and the intakes/covers fettled and ready.

Then onto the mighty tail itself. I do find a day doing sub assemblies can be as productive as a day on the main build itself. 

Masking out the heat exchanger shroud

spacer.png

Black undercoat, then AK Extreme Metal Titanium on top

spacer.png

I thought this would come out a lot closer to a dull aluminium, but looking at the dried paint, seems to be ok. 

And of course, a dry fit.

3h6LRW3.jpg

The Might Fin taking another step forward. 

Slow day, but I'll take the result of 2 Tornados with nearly complete FIN, Would like to be getting done quicker, but 1. I hate having to redo work.  2. Work keeps sending me away, so I can't get on.

Hoping I get some bench time at the weekend, but unlikely, the family seem to think I should spend time with them. 

Edited by Mutley
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Started today tring to bring #2 upto the position #1 is (yes, I spent the day on Number twos)

Trying to get the bodywork to fit was a right pain, lots of fettling then when it did fit, fill in the gaps! 

0BWh8TT.jpg

I then had a work on part of the exhausts. I sprayed Vallejo Aluminium, then lightly covered with AK Titanium, which will then be dulled down for a used look

XVaLou4.jpg

Next Up, airbrakes, and oh frell. So, for all four airbrakes I needed to add a shim of sheet. Spent what felt like hours on this, but in reality was probably, just an hour. 2 layers of sheet seems to have done the job. 

FTz7p9I.jpg

YvTawma.jpg

Then, finally, I had time before the start of the Bathurst 12 hours to do a bit of work on the tails themselves. And I found that for #2 I had not cut out the slot for the vanes. So had to line up the first tail and drill through. Success! and Only dry fitted for now, and only 1 ready for re-priming, the other will get done Sunday, but until the undercarriage is ready, I'll not be attaching as this makes laying it on its back a lot easier. 

dIJyLBN.jpg

Thats it, Sunday will be to bring tail 2 upto where #1 is, and then start on the undercarriage and ordinance, hopefully some pain free construction.

• Like 3

On 2/2/2020 at 1:42 PM, exdraken said:

Nice, but lots of work!

Thanks, and yes, it is. Even more when you're doing 2 of the buggers.

On 2/2/2020 at 3:50 PM, Shaun said:

Looking good, definitely a kit to take your time on..

Thank you. The patience hopefully be worth it and will show at the end.

• Like 1

Well, after losing Saturday to household chores and gutter cleaning (I hate ladders!) Sunday looked rather promising for getting the undercarriages sorted. Should get both sets done. 

Started by assembling the main legs, and thought I'd try keeping them on a tree for ease of handling (nicely done). Then, after some white paint, I stared to add some plumbing, 0.2mm wire from a shreaded flex. And thanks for a friend who works at Duxford, I got a nice close up of a GR4 leg.

LJkaAuo.jpg

spacer.png

That was it, then the next bit, the brake hydrolics. Problem was, it just didn't want to stick. Eventually I drilled a small hole, and the wire stayed in place. 

DcPGXXp.jpg

JYJBpbI.jpg

It was only after the 2nd leg, I finally got a grasp on how this should assemble. Drill first, then wrap the wire. Them stupidglue it all together.

fBNsLU9.jpg

With growing frustration I settled on abandoning for the day after 2 constructed and 4 hours lost trying to make things fit, that don't want to play. At least next bench time should be quicker.

Lessons learnt is never really wasted time, but I'm falling behind each week.

• Like 2

Well, another weekend passes, and more done to the undercarriage, plumbed primed and mostly painted, almost ready for assembly. 

Nose wheel (outta focus, damn camera phone!) 

WTTyHwK.jpg

1 of 4 main struts

7tNS5Qi.jpg

Then, airframe2 had its fin attached and a reprime, and the exhausts added and elevators painted. These will stay off until painting, they slide onto lugs.

tsBFdOj.jpg

Airframes together, with legs placed. Another step forward. They're almost ready for paint proper. 

bVDRK1X.jpg

Hoping to get some time at the bench this week as next weekend is already a write off. Perhaps a couple of hours putting fuel pods etc together

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Time for an update. Just before all the current silliness started, I had a good time catch up with my friend who asked for these, and told him the plans I had for the builds, which he liked - that's always the worry. So, a month later (thanks work!) I managed a bit of bench time. 

Previously I had attempted to add some depth/'dirtying' with one of the Uschi splatter masks I received and a thinned down nato black. Probably overdone. 

0olC4R4.jpg

That was then covered with a thinned Hakata Light Ghost Grey. One airframe done

3ktFdrT.jpg

One Tonka done, the other to be done in the week, feels good to be moving this along again. 

Here they are, together. Airfame 2 in next for 'dirtying' up. ZH552 had a few schemes over the years, so am aiming to have them slightly different shades, but overall the same scheme.

HioIRgd.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

time for a catch up. Recently it was a weapons production line this weekend, 8 missiles mostly assembled, I say mostly as I'll not be adding the top as the wheel bay seems to block where the fin inserts. 

QGOK9s9.jpg

Next, to airframe 1, I added the wedge that sits under the rudder. Just needs to be filled

k77Jzp2.jpg

And finally, missiles and droptanks given a light priming, ready for final colouring (anyone got a grey crayon?)

g8iGJGm.jpg

I filled in some of the gaps in the tail using highly thinned Vallejo putty. Just wish I'd done it before doing the majority of the paintjob. 

Dd0DsQc.jpg

Onto Airframe 2, and not much done, but had a dryfit of the tail and wedge ready to be done. 

Have also been doing some touch ups, I made a mistake of not noting what plane has what colours, which is making it a pain to colour match. Live and learn!

I guess I really should move forward with assembling the bits so I can actually finish these and move onto the markings.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update time, and I have to admit to a bit of mojo death with the two F3s, at the moment I'm not getting the buzz from them and jumping to other builds which are quick and a bit more fun.

Can't tell if the gap is poor fit by me the nozzles not in enough, or poor piece creation - being missized. 

0meVPPO.jpg

Anys, i added a shim of 2 0.25 sheets to the bucket. 

kRocNJ8.jpg

Trimmed down and fitted, same on the other side. The underside buckets, I just filled with milliput. (shh, don't tell) 

Then onto an attempt at the canopies today, and two types of mask sets, because 1 type would make it simple, right? 

Montex and New Ware, 

bPogVYD.jpg

Two canopies masked and what a fiddle that was! 

The New Ware have a few issues, they're too long for each frame, and the interior have rounded corners and need to be touched up to square them a bit to match the frames. And then mask the interiors, personally, I wouldn't bother with them again. 

The Montex were an bottom to fit the interiors, but they fitted properly. 

Next, a prime, tidy and colour match, then add the frame parts and mirrors etc. 

UNA0XK3.jpg

That's me caught up. the canopies have been painted and mirrors attached, next stop, a base gloss coat. 

Wow, I may nearly be finished...

• Like 1

Nice progress!

I have the Eduard F3 waiting to start (i.e. in the stash) and a GR4 in progress, converted from the IDS kit (not hard to do). The Revell Tonkas are tough kits to get right but reward patience and perseverance. I love them and want to build a few more if I get the chance.

Yours look great and I can't wait to see the finished result.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/7/2020 at 3:22 PM, DonH said:

Nice progress!

I have the Eduard F3 waiting to start (i.e. in the stash) and a GR4 in progress, converted from the IDS kit (not hard to do). The Revell Tonkas are tough kits to get right but reward patience and perseverance. I love them and want to build a few more if I get the chance.

Yours look great and I can't wait to see the finished result.

Thanks Don, They are quite rewarding when they go right. I convertd a GR1 to a GR4, wasn't a lot to do in the end, it depends how far into the rabbit hole you want to go. Have you a thread going? like to see it.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the dual build, but never again, one at a time as you get to a point and start to focus on just one, and you stick with it, then realise No2 is way behind...

Fiddly little things, as i had lost one brass pitot, and appear to have binned the kit ones in a clean up, I decided a small upgrade was needed. As this is to be built as sitting at a dispersal it would have its tags in place. And the pitots have covers. 

spacer.png

Viola! RBF covers in 1mm plasticard. 

spacer.png

And blended in. I'll get the red crayons out later. 

spacer.png

Doesn't she look good in Barley Grey! 

Now to do the same on the other airframe, and I'll have 2 on their legs at least.