Which knife blades?

Michael Morris

26 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

@ProjeKtWEREWOLF word to the wise, if your using an SM blade for heavy(ish) work......DON'T!

The blade will snap and you'll have shrapnel flying far and wide. The blades were designed for cutting through human tissue, little resistance.

If your lucky enough not to use an opti-visor or wear specs I would recommend a pair of safety glasses......just in case.

😎

I have other blades for big stuff. Thanks though. 

Edited by ProjeKtWEREWOLF
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Pin said:

....I can't imagine what kind of force needs to be applied to SM blade to get it unintentionally off the handle let alone to brake it!

Err, not a lot! If a blade comes off a handle, it's operator error, not being fitted correctly. Breaking a blade, whole different ball game.

Mate was slicing 10 thou plastic card on a cutting mat and the blade shattered, luckily, none went in the biccy tin!

I can go for years, then I'll get a number that will break with little pressure in the space of a couple of weeks.

• Like 1

OLFA design knight AK-3

OL-AK-3-copy.jpg

For some work I'm use medical scalpel for ophtalmology, close to this type:

c5125423a928f7ffb4200ccb3263e946.jpg

I have, also,  rotary blade design knife

but I have not used it yet.

B.R.

Serge

2 hours ago, Pin said:

You guys are real monsters!

I can't imagine what kind of force needs to be applied to SM blade to get it unintentionally off the handle let alone to brake it!

And yes, I use SM blades with two SM handles but I also have Tamiya and two noname handles that accept these blades just fine

I’ve broken a few in my time, but in my experience they aren’t as fragile @PhoenixII is suggesting.  And when I have snapped them they have mostly snapped at the thinnest part, which is on the bit that clips to the handle and more often than not even though it breaks it stays on the handle.  I don’t recall ever managing to send a bit of the blade spinning through the air.

Cheers,

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/01/2020 at 18:42, sinnerboy said:

I must admit that I've always thought that the method of attachment is extremely crude & a (bloody) accident waiting to happen

That's because surgeons use them but scrub nurses attach them // sarcasm mode off //

I've broken a few over the years, usually No 10 blades (One I don't use any more) or no 11s. The ones I use these days are shown below - I've picked up various handles over the years as it's easier to have that blade to hand than change blades.

They are (Left to right)

Filler knives, 15 and 10A, 12, 14 and 19 - not used very often, so not on permanent handle (14 and 19 are great for scraping training edges), 6,10A,11, 15, 15A , 23  in a 4 Handle and a 10A in a retractable handle for 'away trips'

49503156503_00d871f7f8_b.jpgknives by DaveFleming68, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Fleming