Which knife blades?

Michael Morris

I've been using a set of modelling knives I bought at Lidl. The supplied blades are about to run out. Before I just buy a randoms set of blades from the internet, I was wondering, "what type and make of blades do people on britmodeller buy?"

4 minutes ago, Michael Morris said:

I've been using a set of modelling knives I bought at Lidl. The supplied blades are about to run out. Before I just buy a randoms set of blades from the internet, I was wondering, "what type and make of blades do people on britmodeller buy?"

Hi Michael - If you have been happy with the ones you have been using why not get some more - maybe if you post a picture someone can point you in the right direction.

Olfa. The handles are made out of plastic, not metal like on other manufacturers but they're incredibly tough. Mine has been going strong for nearly a decade and I can't fault it. The blades are very sharp and come in a big variety.

I use a set of cheapo handles (maybe also from Lidl, back in the day). They take "X-acto" style blades. My LMS always seems to be sold out of these, so I've just ordered a box of 100 from FleaBay. Can't comment on the quality yet, but cheap as chips so worth giving them a spin. 

• 1 month later...

Hi all

I have been using Swann Morton number 23 blades with a number 4 handle for many years. A good general purpose blade in a nice well balanced handle. As already mentioned be really careful when replacing the worn blades, as fresh ones are incredibly sharpe! 

• Like 1

Swann and Morton all the way. I did use X-Acto style when I came back to modelling for a few years which I was familiar with as a kid but switching to SM was like night to day.

For convenience I have two No3 handles in which I keep a 10a (straight) and 10 (curved) blades. I also use a 15 blade which has a slight hook to it and is brilliant for cutting masking tape, particularly around canopies.

The handles are indestructible and being flat will not roll. They feel beautiful in the hand and are capable of very delicate work.

The blades are extraordinarily sharp; not surprising, as they are designed for surgery. (You will note the handles marked in cm - so you can judge just how far into the patient you have cut 🙂 ) I rotate mine, when i put a new one in I mark the old one with a Sharpie pen and keep it in a little case, the one that's in the case gets a second mark and the oldest one gets thrown away. Into a "sharps" container, i.e. an old coffee jar, - please don't put them in the bin. The older blades are used for hacking and using as an adze.

My best no 15 blade is wrapped in kitchen paper to protect its edge.

It's one of the tools, like a good side-cutter that is worth the investment and will last a lifetime. At my LMS the No3 handle is £3.55, packs of 5 blades are £0.72., they really are not expensive.

However remember they are extraordinarily sharp and capable of cutting through you like a knife through butter if you are careless. That said it's an old adage that the best way to get cut is to use a blunt blade. I use a small pair of pliers to remove and attach the blades and in doing this hundreds of times have never injured myself.

I also have a snap off knife for heavy hacking and an X-Acto style one to hold a chisel type blade as there is not a similar item for the SM.

Also very useful for home surgery, ingrowing toenails and splinters. Disinfect by applying IPA to the blade and the operating site; apply scotch whisky to the back of the throat. 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Pigpen said:

For convenience I have two No3 handles in which I keep a 10a (straight) and 10 (curved) blades.

which is what I have in 2 of my 3 handles right now....

21 minutes ago, Pigpen said:

The handles are indestructible

I have had mine since, ooh, 1979 or so....   

I have seen recommendations for a handle sheath , but I'm used to the old No.3 handle,

one caution, press the blade to hard in the wrong way and it will snap and ping off,  don't do it often...these days I wear reading glasses for fine work,  but worth knowing about.
My 'go to' blade is the 10, the curved one. 

HTH

• Like 1

I use sm after I lost my humbrol number 2 knife. I still have one given to my dad by a pathologist. I was not aware of its gruesome history. But yes, beware of pinging blades and the scalpel blades are sharp. How do I know? Well......

i prefer a curved blade on the smaller handle these days but I also use a good ole exacto blade. 

• Like 1

If you do go the SM way for heavens sake do as Pigpen says and use small pliers for attaching & removing the blades.

I must admit that I've always thought that the method of attachment is extremely crude & a (bloody) accident waiting to happen.

They are good blades tho 😍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Swann and Morton here too.

Also buy the blades in bulk - I buy in boxes of 100 - they work out pretty cheap that way - so much so that if I am starting a new job or the blade is beginning to feel just the slightest bit dull I have no qualms with replacing it with a fresh one.

Also have a few handles so I don’t have to swap blades out for a different shape.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've only ever used Xacto as that's all that was ever available to me. Through the 80's and well into the 90's, I acquired a couple of Xacto set with different handles and different blades. I mostly use the No.11 blades in the small handle but on occasion, have used the others. I also acquired a fairly large supple of No. 11 blades so I'm probably set for the rest of my life.

Chris

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

've only ever used Xacto as that's all that was ever available to me. Through the 80's and well into the 90's, I acquired a couple of Xacto set with different handles and different blades. I mostly use the No.11 blades in the small handle but on occasion, have used the others. I also acquired a fairly large supple of No. 11 blaeds so I'm probably set for the rest of my life.

And if it works for you it works for you.

Tools, techniques and acquired skills are very personal and it certainly doesn't pay to drop something you are comfortable with and take on something else, particularly with motor skills . It's a hobby and the most important thing is are you relaxed? are you enjoying yourself? is this good for you?

• Like 2

One other thing, if you use SM blades, and your knives aren't in a dedicated box, protect your fingers!

This close to Christmas and New Year, (the comment made to protect the guilty!) it shouldn't be too difficult to find a used / discarded bottle cork. (YES, they still exist!)

Being reliably informed that full size bottles of Prosecco and Cava have the correct type, the wife says the small bottles have screw tops!

Cut said cork in half, use an old blade of the same type and push into the cork, bottom to top, remove said blade and you have a ready made blade cover to protect your fingers!

News Flash! Some bottles of Scotch Whisky also have a cork! :whistle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 1/18/2020 at 8:44 PM, dogsbody said:

I've only ever used Xacto as that's all that was ever available to me. Through the 80's and well into the 90's, I acquired a couple of Xacto set with different handles and different blades. I mostly use the No.11 blades in the small handle but on occasion, have used the others. I also acquired a fairly large supple of No. 11 blaeds so I'm probably set for the rest of my life.

Chris

I find Xacto blades blunt very quickly so work out a lot more expensive that scalpel blades.  I still keep one on hand for heavier duty work.

Cheers,

Nigel

18 minutes ago, nheather said:

I find Xacto blades blunt very quickly so work out a lot more expensive that scalpel blades.  I still keep one on hand for heavier duty work.

Cheers,

Nigel

Though I haven't tried it yet as I have a good supply of Xacto No' 11's on hand, I do have a knife sharpening kit that you have the option of various angles to sharpen things. One option is for sharpening razor blades.

49420488358_f6b03282f9_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks to this thread l I have bought a Swann Morton retractaway handle and a box of 10A blades. I was worried that the size 11 blades would be too fragile for my clumsy hands. 

So far they seem like a good replacement for my £1.50 Amtech craft knife. 

• Like 1

@ProjeKtWEREWOLF word to the wise, if your using an SM blade for heavy(ish) work......DON'T!

The blade will snap and you'll have shrapnel flying far and wide. The blades were designed for cutting through human tissue, little resistance.

If your lucky enough not to use an opti-visor or wear specs I would recommend a pair of safety glasses......just in case.

• Like 2

You guys are real monsters!

I can't imagine what kind of force needs to be applied to SM blade to get it unintentionally off the handle let alone to brake it!

And yes, I use SM blades with two SM handles but I also have Tamiya and two noname handles that accept these blades just fine