This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

depressed lemur

Bolton IPMS Show

Just finished off the last of the admin from today's show.

First of all, I would like to thank all the traders, exhibitors and visitors to our show.  Without you guys we would just be a small band of strange looking individuals in blue tops sitting in a large empty hall.

I think that today went very well, the only problem I had was that I spent so much time running about, checking things and making sure everything went well, I hardly had time to look at the kits, and even less time to actually buy anything (I guess other show organisers feel the same), I can't wait to go to someone else's show to spend my hard earned.  Today seemed very busy throughout the day and I heard no real complaints (though I believe that the bacon ran out way too early, unfortunately beyond our control). 

The displays were very impressive throughout and I was very impressed by the Leaf Blower of Doom which won our best in show.  Congratulations to the builder.

Again, thanks for coming.

Like all shows there are still things to learn so hopefully we will be better next year.

Hello Mr.Lemur.

Thanks for a great show. It was a bit chilly, but otherwise spot-on,

Alan

It was a great event and a big thank you to all those who organised it to make it a success. As mentioned above however, perhaps try and do something about the heating for next year as it was really cold inside the venue (those I travelled with said the same) despite the numbers of people who were present.

That said, this is simply minor constructive feedback for what is a superb show which is rapidly gaining in popularity and scale on the UK show circuit -  thank you!

Gary

Thank you guys for your comments and feedback, all are welcome as how can we improve? @redcap, heating is an interesting one and worth commenting on.

The venue is a large area with a very high ceiling.  During the morning we have to get a lot of traders and exhibitors through the door which means opening up the main roller doors for a couple of hours.  unfortunately the Saturday decided to be the coldest night of the winter so we started off very cold.  Annoyingly, the previous weekend was quite mild, but that is the fickle nature of the weather up North.  unfortunately we are a little at the mercy of the weather here.

The heating for the room was, in fact, on throughout the day (unlike last year) and this was evident from the near boiling water coming out of the taps in the rest rooms.  If you went up to the mezzanine floor you would have found the temperature to be quite warm due to the warm air rising.  Temperature control is something we can look at though for next year, perhaps with a bit of help from the venue.  Thanks for noting it.

On 1/19/2020 at 2:30 PM, philbean said:

........Don't know why 'official' Airfix turned up though. They put zero effort into that stand.

Can't agree.

1. Airfix took the time AND the money (Yes, I know, tax write off) but they DID come up from 'dan saff' all the way up where the maps from down there are marked "BEWARE....here be Dragons!" interacted with the GBP (Great British Public) and knew what they were talking about.

2. What were you expecting? Ballons, Whistles and Bells? The kits (those they wish to be known about) have been announced. My take, from what I heard from the 'trade' was it was as much for them as for the modeller. Just be grateful that they put enough store in the event to fork out the money, it's a heck of a 'pat on the back' for the organisers from the Bolton club, who, once again, make a darn good job of things. Well done gent's, here's the bouquet! 💐

20 hours ago, Duncan B said:

Sounds like you lot forgot to take your wallets 😁

Duncan B

Ooh! Duncan!

You think last year was busy? To my eyes the numbers were up by 25 - 30% and most traders (can't please ALL the people, ALL the time!) seemed to be reporting a good days trade. From what I saw all the traders had large gaps in their collective stock from my first (quick) look at 10:00 to the last look round at 2:30.

Generally, everybody I spoke to was very happy. Main moan I heard was about the fog, all I have to say is, glad it stayed West of the Pennines!

Have it on GOOD authority the caterers may be up for a firing squad. The last bacon / sausage buns were gone before 10:00, and NO, I didn't get one!

One comment for the catering team, STOP trying to cook bacon with a single candle. 20 minutes to cook? I ask you!!!! It takes two minutes on a griddle / hot plate dear, TWO minutes.

Paul

Can anybody tell me who were selling the 1/48 Chipmunk and SR53 kits please?

Thanks,

John

Aside from the terribly underprepared caterers, the show was good, great layout with loads of space both sides of the table.

I spent wayyyyy too much though!

Again,  thank you for the comments. I do believe that the caterers might be getting a bit of a debrief,  no idea on what that will entail but I would avoid meat pies for a bit. 

This year was certainly busier but everyone seemed to be happy. Airfix, I thought, did a fine job of promoting the brand, but also talking to the public.

My first show and loved it, met a couple of fellow BM chaps.  I didn't need much (only picked up a couple of Flory washes) but I think that I snapped up the biggest bargain around - 1/72 Academy F-8 for 5 quid....!!!!  Very pleased with that.

Thanks to the guys and all the hard work in organising it - very much a date for the calendar again next year.

Phil

I had a great time. A fantastic show that filled my car at the expense of my wallet. Funny how the two are mutually exclusive.

See you next year.

Cheers,

To.