B5N2 Kate, Soryu, first wave of Pearl Harbor attack (Hasegawa 1/48)

Hi comrades!

Here is my model of Kate from Soryu aircraft carrier, member of first wave of Pearl Harbor attack. According to some sources - the killer of Arizona battleship.

The kit is fantastic! I added only Eduard's brass (critical for bomb fins and seatbelts). equipment panels I preferred to paint, IMHO looks more realistic than etched.

My additions: wiring on main undercarriage, bomb, engine. Airframe riveted.

Most of the markings painted with Montex and self made masks.

Thanks for looking.

IMG-7899.jpg
IMG-7905.jpg
IMG-7907.jpg
IMG-7909.jpg
IMG-7910.jpg
IMG-7911.jpg
IMG-7912.jpg
IMG-7913.jpg
IMG-7916.jpg
IMG-7919.jpg
IMG-7924.jpg
IMG-7927.jpg
z03.jpg

And good view of cockpit: 

026.jpg

037.jpg

Build is here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235060939-b5n2-kate-soryu-december-1941-148-hasegawa-ready/&tab=comments#comment-3504018

Thanks for looking

• Like 26

Very well done! A nice clean Kate as they would have appeared on the way to Pearl Harbor. Arent't these sleek and efficient looking airplanes?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Toryu said:

Very well done! A nice clean Kate as they would have appeared on the way to Pearl Harbor. Arent't these sleek and efficient looking airplanes?

Thank You! Yes! They were clean and fresh painted. I have other boxing of Hasegawa - the Midway battle, with torpedo - I will build him sometimes

5 hours ago, clive_t said:

Excellent finish, I'd be delighted with a result that good :thumbsup2:

Thank You! It could be done better IMHO, but I'm still happy with the result! 

Cema,

Very nice build of a Soryu Kate! I think your camouflage is very accurate, from what I have read. A little late, and in no way meant to detract from an excellent model, but the B5N had metal-covered not fabric-covered flaps. The ailerons, elevators, and rudder were metal framed and fabric-covered. Airfix got this wrong on their 1/72 kit, and I seem to recall we had some discussion about the flaps on the Kate a while back, See the link below for a detailed description of the Kate, including the control surfaces and flaps. The old Maru Mechanic on the B5N also showed them to be metal-covered on their scale drawings.

Mike

https://www.pearlharboraviationmuseum.org/pearl-harbor-blog/nakajima-b5n2/

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Cema,

Very nice build of a Soryu Kate! I think your camouflage is very accurate, from what I have read. A little late, and in no way meant to detract from an excellent model, but the B5N had metal-covered not fabric-covered flaps. The ailerons, elevators, and rudder were metal framed and fabric-covered. Airfix got this wrong on their 1/72 kit, and I seem to recall we had some discussion about the flaps on the Kate a while back, See the link below for a detailed description of the Kate, including the control surfaces and flaps. The old Maru Mechanic on the B5N also showed them to be metal-covered on their scale drawings.

Mike

Hi Mike!

Thank You! I try my best! 

Unfortunately, I missed this particular discussion about the flaps. I have the old Maru Mechanic and flaps look like fabric covered (at least not riveted), but may be I'm wrong. Anyway, I have another boxing with torpedo armed Kate...So I will recheck this before the build (2021 or later...)

Cema

8 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Good build. The green upper surfaces are well done. I'm doing it's partner in crime at the moment.  A 1/48 Val.

Thank You!

I have the Pearl Harbor "Houkokugou" Val version in my short list for 2020...It will be interesting to see Your build!

38 minutes ago, cema_ga said:

Thank You!

I have the Pearl Harbor "Houkokugou" Val version in my short list for 2020...It will be interesting to see Your build!

I've been building it for quite awhile.  I got a small twist in the fuselage from not being careful enough when I glued it together and put it on the shelf of doom . So be careful of that. My kit's horizontal tail parts fit into holes which were too small, so it was a major getting that right. Other than that it has been a good build. I'm doing it

Open canopy style like most of my builds. It is my project in the KUTA GB. I'm up to the decal clear coat. It should be finished before Christmas. I'm finishing three other kits at the same time to clear the benches for my Battle of Britain year.

• Like 1