M24 Chaffee

Ian

Kit - Italeri 1:35 (re-tool).

Paint - All acrylics.

Decals - Kit & Star Decals

Extras - Verlinden & Voyager resin stowage, lead foil, Jordi Rubio turned aluminium barrel.

M24 Chaffee

3rd Armd Div

Esch-sur-Alzette, Luxembourg

February 1945.

CG8qTaM.jpg

szb7JWg.jpg

cXVk1pJ.jpg

QaTcOcP.jpg

iz6HkYq.jpg

ePNG2S7.jpg

bMUUjdo.jpg

dZpaRlc.jpg

dT9vPP2.jpg

Started two-and-a-half years ago, then parked on the 'Shelf of Forgetfulness' until about four weeks ago. Kit is the old but still OK'ish'  Italeri kit - but the later re-box with the WWII tracks. It went together fairly well, but the suspension arms are surprisingly delicate and don't stand-up well to rough handling and the tracks are waaaayyy too thick and generally un-co-operative, if I ever build another I will definitely be investing in a set of AM tracks.  

Two 'firsts' on this - First time using MIG's US WWII OD set - but only the base tone and the first lighter one, and first time attempt at the Rinaldi hairspray chipping method. BECAUSE it's my first time using this technique, I'm sincerely asking for feedback, because it's the only way I will get better, right ?. So that's pretty much it, as ever thanks for taking the time and effort to comment or criticize, have the rest of a great weekend, folks.

Best from NZ

Ian.

• Like 22

Winter camo turned out great, I like all these scratches.

It's packed to the teeth with bags and boxes - very nice addition to the kit.

Only the pink blanket on the rear of the turret seems a bit to clean to my eyes, maybe adding some light dust to it would tone it down?

Anyway, great job!

Cheers :)

Edited by srkirad
  • Like 1

Hi Ian,

Great work, love the well worn winter camo and weathering. Lots of stowage which from what I can is tied down and nicely painted and weathered. As has been said the pink blanket does catch the eye a little, however it may just have well been brand new and recently arrived from home.

Perhaps a figure to fill the empty hatch?

Great work

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

A model very well finished in general, very well detailed and with a lot of equipment that gives it a lot of "personality", for my personal taste, a little too splintered, but it is not a criticism.
I also have another Italeri M24 in the forum, although mine I think is so old that it is not a re-box. It was one of the first kits that I made around the hobby after a long period of time doing nothing ...
The idea of mine and yours, in general, coincide. If you are interested in taking a look, let me know.
As you comment, the arms of the suspension are very delicate, perhaps because the plastic is "brittle", and the tracks, were a real "nonsense", almost impossible to work, so they ended up breaking and I had to replace them with others afetermarket.

Cheers mate.:goodjob:

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, srkirad said:

Only the pink blanket on the rear of the turret seems a bit to clean to my eyes, maybe adding some light dust to it would tone it down?

Cheers :)

Yeah the pink Air Recognition Panel was / is a bit of a gamble. Mostly you see orange or red ones, but pink and yellow were also issued. The idea behind not weathering it like the rest of the stowage was / is to imply that it's recently issued and rarely used. Not sure that I pulled-that-idea-off. No matter, thanks [everyone] for the feedback.

Best from NZ

Ian.

• Like 1

Hi Ian,

Well done for finishing off a 'forgotten' model. I think it's always hard to get back into something left on the shelf. And what a grand job you did too. I don't know what or who 'Rinaldi' was/is in regards to the hairspray technique, but whatever, you've done an excellent job on the upper hull and turret. The side skirts seem under-chipped to me. I would have expected the whitewash to have been more worn off there than elsewhere.

Unlike some, I have no problems with the pink ID blanket. It wouldn't be much use if it were filthy, so they'd probably stow it away and keep it clean until it's needed. The rest of the stowage is good and for the most part nicely tied down. The only thing I'd fault there is the OTT wood grain on the ammo boxes.

Summing up then, I think your Chaffee is super and your first attempt at the hairspray technique was a resounding success. I can't fault it or offer any advice on that score.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

I think it's a super build, and the cleanliness of the pink is understandable - but this is new to me that coloured blankets were issued?   I'm only familiar with air recognition panels that were available in a variety of fluorescent colours, the obverse side being white.  

regards,

Jack

• Like 1

I think that your first effort with the hairspray method has worked well. A generally all round busy affect. I like the stowage and the air recognition panel.

John.

PS. AM tracks are definitely the way to go.

• Like 1