Airfix Vulcan 1/72

Alan P

Hi all,

Decided to risk my good standing in the community by sharing my build of this iconic, well-loved (!) and frankly awful kit that probably everyone has either in their stash or already built on their shelf 😄

Luckily there are loads of great builds already which I can shamelessly plagiarise and hopefully those in the know aren't too tired and jaded from coaxing and cajoling all the many other builders of this kit to chip in their wisdom to help me along the way.

I'm planning a build of the Duxford airframe XJ824. It's a commission build for a work colleague who flew about 10 hours in the old bird, including its last flight into Duxford back in the 80s I believe.

The build is planned to be mostly out of the box, with the exception of the Freightdog 201 engine nozzles and whatever scratchbuild detail is required to bring it up to standard. The very welcome news that Airfix are bringing out a new tooling of this hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for the build at all!!!😖

I must already thank some of the BM members for their help in sourcing the correct decals, most notably @Darth Vader who provided the serials and 101 Sqn badges 👍

Anyway - on with the build!

Alan

Edited by Alan P
  • Like 4

First job, might as well get it over with - rescribing.

tn_IMG_20191123_172416 tn_IMG_20191123_172214

First all the chunky raised panel lines are shaved and sanded off, along with the kit moulded nozzles. I haven't rescribed the new detail yet, I might just see what it looks like after assembly and puttying/priming and then see what surface detail would be the best way to reproduce the smooth surface of the aeroplane itself.

Next horrible job - those awful intakes.

I sanded down the mating surfaces as best I could, then glue, putty and sanding before filling the intakes with gloopy white emulsion house paint:

tn_IMG_20191123_172442

Looks way better and nothing a bit more putty and primer can't fix.

Alan

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

Let me know if you need any close up photos; I volunteer at Duxford and get there quite often.

Fantastic! Yes please: access ladder and landing gear / gear bays photos would be incredibly helpful if you could.

Had a little look at what I could do with the cockpit - to say it's sparse is overstating the tremendous lack of detail:

tn_IMG_20191123_174446

I cut off the inboard edges of the seat locator tabs to increase the distance between them.

tn_IMG_20191123_174733

Then added a centre pedestal which I'll detail a bit but not too much - the windows look pretty small and there's no rear cockpit section represented at all.

Meanwhile, down in the access bay:

tn_IMG_20191123_172149

Again, this part is designed to show the access ladder open but there's zero detail in there.

tn_IMG_20191123_172159

The chunky ladder detail was sanded off and a new ladder made from plastic rod.

Then I got carried away and built the whole interior detail around the access interior (roughly)

tn_IMG_20191123_174309

I'm not a scratchbuilder like some of the geniuses on here, so this was all just stuff to add interest rather than any genuine attempt to recreate the interior 😄

Still, it's looking very promising - don't worry, i'm not going to attempt the bomb bay or anything properly impressive!

Alan

• Like 15

13 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Still, it's looking very promising - don't worry, i'm not going to attempt the bomb bay or anything properly impressive!

That's what he says now :)

Good scratch building Alan, it makes the interior look suitably "busy".

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Richard E said:

That's what he says now :)

Good scratch building Alan, it makes the interior look suitably "busy".

Thanks Richard 👍 more to come tomorrow.

I have a thing about the Vulcan and I’d like to follow this if I may. I built this kit a couple of years ago as my first foray back into the hobby (after too many years I’d like to admit) and wish I’d thought of using emulsion paint on the intakes as it would have saved me hours of work! 😅

• Thanks 1

I'm just coming towards the end of this kit, Alan. 

I've balked at the squiggly all-over paint job(XH558).

I found it OK. 

Take care lining up the top & bottom fuselage halves forward of the wings so you get a good cylinder.

I attached the wing halves to their respective fuselage halves prior to bringing the top & bottom assys together.

The Freightdog(?) resins fit well but the insert portions need a lot of shaping so the wings close nicely and the panel line looks good.

Check your references for panel lines. Airfix's are a little inaccurate in places.

Good luck!

Mark.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2019 at 9:50 PM, imp999 said:

I attached the wing halves to their respective fuselage halves prior to bringing the top & bottom assys together.

Good luck!

Mark.  

Thanks Mark, I was going to do that too, so I'm glad it works 👍

Made some more progress despite the freezing temperatures in my workshed:

tn_IMG_20191130_130421

Detailed the woeful kit seats with some pads, belts and eject handles and added some detail to the centre pedestal

tn_IMG_20191130_133201

Added the seats and instrument panel to the upper fuselage.

tn_IMG_20191130_133149

Provides a bit more detail and interest to the cockpit, much of which won't be seen.

tn_IMG_20191130_130431

Finished the homemade interior around the crew entry.

tn_IMG_20191130_133108

Added some detail in the bomb-aimer's position as well, and used some polarised film for the window.

tn_IMG_20191130_133126

Completed the entry area and attached to the lower fuselage.

tn_IMG_20191130_133221 tn_IMG_20191130_133300

Looks so much better for relatively little effort.

Next stage - attaching the wings!

Alan

• Like 14

2 hours ago, Alan P said:

Iain thank you so much, these are perfect 👍

Alan

If you're looking for real detail I'll check which of the lateral bomb bay frames has the 6 square inch splash of interior green with the word "crack" written above! Be a bit small in 1/72 though.😉

• Haha 1

Trying to fit in some progress on this bird despite extreme busyness at work and the freezing weather...

tn_IMG_20191207_142136

Using Iain's pics as a reference I've added some interest in the nose gear well

tn_IMG_20191207_142148

Also attached the wings to the top half of the fuselage, it should greatly improve the fit of the fuselage/wing attachment.

tn_IMG_20191207_143054

It's a decent size in 1/72, but still very manageable!

Cheers,

Alan P

• Like 8

There are some pretty depressing gaps around the bomb bay part. Eventually I decided to plug the worst ones (down each side) with plastic card:

IMG_20191215_105617

Then I sanded it all flush and puttied over what was left of the lip.

IMG_20191215_121042 IMG_20191215_121102

That seems to have solved the problem. I also stuck some plastic card on the inside seam to reinforce it against the sanding.

IMG_20191215_105640

The intakes have come out well, which is one huge relief.

IMG_20191215_121731

Even more thankfully, once I'd smoothed out the intake lip from the various moulding deformities, the intakes actually are the best fitting part of this kit so far!

IMG_20191215_111734 IMG_20191215_111744

While the fuselage was still in two halves I fitted the fin, enabling brute force seating of the part in its recess!

This isn't exactly a fun build but it's getting there...

Alan

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

I am still working on this...three builds on the go is a lot for me, and usually one gets neglected a bit!

The airframe is now assembled - I did my best to minimise the seams but 😮

tn_IMG_20200201_121429

Closer inspection of the gaps:

tn_IMG_20200201_121435 tn_IMG_20200201_121444 tn_IMG_20200201_121455

This is the worst bit:

tn_IMG_20200201_121501

I've used file, scraper and sanding blocks to get it almost flush. Hopefully the dissolved sprue goop will do most of the heavy lifting on these gaps!

Alan

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Alan P said:

dissolved sprue goop

On my Vulcan I just dribbled superglue into the cracks until the glue came level with both sides of the plastic, then dropped Talcum powder onto it...………..made it hard immediately and after a minute or so sanded it down

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1