Before The War - Spitfire Mki (Two Bladed Prop)

(accidentally posted in WIP, supposed to be on RFI)

Here's a model I built a few months ago. This has shown up on Britmodeller before, just never on RFI. I thought I had posted it but, turns out I never did.

This is a Spitfire Mki, representing Spitfire K9843, DL.N, of 54 Squadron circa early Summer 1939.

fe4f60b394c6ece6b08d49d259bf206a.jpg

The decals are from Iliad Design's pre War Spitfires sheet, which has decals for 6 aircraft from before September 1939.

165c90716698233e3afc36e2e066fb67.jpg

The aircraft is equipped with a two blade Watts propeller, and has the original, flat canopy

75a82fd2e60a91ab0fda6b38476c0f9a.jpg

This is currently one of my favourite Spitfire in my collection, alongside my Swedish S31 (PR.XIX) which flew in the 1950s.

890a2cd71016086fa23b25b2ac0f72f9.jpg

The underside is typical of a Spitfire of the period, white and black contrasting across the underside of the aircraft.

65c56cad4189dbdffaffdb48fd9c1509.jpg

The aircraft fell victim to its narrow landing gear and tendancy to flip upsidedown when landing on 30th November 1939. The pilot survived without major injury, going on to fly with the RAF until 1957 and the aircraft was repaired.

He damaged two Spitfires that day, having had another mishap in one, K9839, only an hour earlier.

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 10

DOH! Supposed to be in RFI!!!

2 minutes ago, Tentacles said:

Nice. Always liked the very early Spits. Would like to do one myself. Kit looks like the Airfix Mk. I? Did you get the canopy & prop as aftermarket or are they homebrew?

From the Airfix MkVa/iia kit, the upgrade parts are on the same sprue

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

It was in the original release of the Mk.I/II, I hadn't realised it was in the Mk.VA.  The one release it wasn't in was the lower-priced Mk.!

Ditto! Why did they leave the two blade prop in the mk.Va kit i wonder? Really nice spit though. Looks great in that pre war scheme. 👍 I have the Ilad sheet myself but haven't got a two bladed Spit so I'll keep my eyes open for the Mk Va now 

1 hour ago, binbrook87 said:

Ditto! Why did they leave the two blade prop in the mk.Va kit i wonder? Really nice spit though. Looks great in that pre war scheme. 👍 I have the Ilad sheet myself but haven't got a two bladed Spit so I'll keep my eyes open for the Mk Va now 

It's on the same sprue as the MkV oil cooler and Mkii parts.
I picked up two of these on Amazon for a fiver each months ago, but I haven't really seen them anywhere since

• Thanks 1