Desert B-25 1/72

rob85

34 minutes ago, giemme said:

I'm sure I said that already, but it's beyond me how you so effectively brush paint Tamiya's... outstanding job :clap:

Ciao

I get that reaction a lot, but I find them great, the harden really well and the polish up really nicely. I always use water and a good flat acrylic hair bush. Same a spraying it’s all about lots of thin coats and building up layers!

thanks for the whiteboard marker tip, I polish the seam a little more in a few areas. After a few more coats you won’t be able to see the marker and the seam is nice a smooth! Very helpful!

Rob

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rob85 said:

Bet it was a hectic week (sorry I couldn’t resist that, I’m only joking of course! Hope you had a good Christmas) 

Oh the Christmas was great! Besides, I am an Orthodox and benefit from having two Christmas days - Catholic and Orthodox 😁

yep, the week was hectic. Currently I am working on Hasegawa's Hawkeye and have a Hasegawa B-25 in my stash. Having compared it with the Airfix new tool Mitchel decided to have both. The former is more crisp, the latter is more detailed so let them both go under my knife lol😁

Have you solved the problem with the tail-sitting? I hate building nose-geared airplane because of the annoying problem of leveling things up. Seems to me the amount of load in your Mitchel isn't enough

The painting is awesome! I love desert camouflaged airplanes

Edited by Rudolf Korachkin
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Rob, she's looking very sandy :) 

Cheers Ced, Sandy is definitely the look I’m going for!

27 minutes ago, Rudolf Korachkin said:

Oh the Christmas was great! Besides, I am an Orthodox and benefit from having two Christmas days - Catholic and Orthodox 😁

yep, the week was hectic. Currently I am working on Hasegawa's Hawkeye and have a Hasegawa B-25 in my stash. Having compared it with the Airfix new tool Mitchel decided to have both. The former is more crisp, the latter is more detailed so let them both go under my knife lol😁

Have you solved the problem with the tail-sitting? I hate building nose-geared airplane because of the annoying problem of leveling things up. Seems to me the amount of load in your Mitchel isn't enough

The painting is awesome! I love desert camouflaged airplanes

Your completely correct, there is not enough weight in the nose, I didn’t use the little nose weight compartment provided which was silly.... what I will probably do is build this with the access ladders down and then find some way of using the rear one as a support. A bit like the old airfix b-26 marauder kit.

hase b-24! Colour me jealous! I have two of the minicraft, a J and a D that I want to build but would love to get the Hase one. Let me know when you get round to building that! I’m in to watch!

cherrs Rob 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rob85 said:

thanks for the whiteboard marker tip,

Glad it helped, Rob :thumbsup:

Especially useful if you are going to do a NMF, where you don't want to have any traces of seam, or it will show up no matter the paint coats. The original tip (I saw that on the 'net somewhere) talked about using a permanent marker, but if you use that, you have to make sure you remove it completely before you paint, or it will show through the top paint layers.

The whiteboard marker doesn't, and you can easily remove the excess with a cotton rag right after you applied it.

Looking forward to more progress on this :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Gosh I have not been keeping up to date with this! 

so I’ve had a few sessions on this over the festive/new year but have neglected to pop them on here as it’s been a little hectic!

so first up I have been carrying on with the painting but in between coats I’ve been tackling the turrets and glazing.

kzEdeCG.jpg

painted the ventral turret. And masked and then glued the cockpit glazing.

TCGGgMA.jpg

and gave it a little paint

u4j3Zrf.jpg

Then it was back to painting all the little bits for the turrets and forward section.

nW2zN8t.jpg
FO5b6RV.jpg

uqX0KZS.jpg

then all the little bits and forward glazing were put together along with my little scratch built seat.

Sw8vk4j.jpg

aoknWkB.jpg

a few touch ups were done, then the upper nose glazing added.

0aukNxS.jpg

the glazing is a pain to line up with slow drying glue and all the guns poking out. I did get it sorted and left it to dry

but evidently it slipped and has now hardened like this...

OhOyMun.jpg

very annoying 

anyway more turret work! 
wtEGCMD.jpg

5RUPjIh.jpg
upper turret

now be careful here, as the instructions look like you should glue the guns on the first stubs but don’t it’s on the second bar otherwise the glazing won’t fit!

wGsRTUK.jpgventral turret sorted

CPvulTK.jpg

more paint! And it’s a lighter shade as the other was too dark, glazing also got some paint.

Ztraqyn.jpg

and a little bit of grey on the underside! Everybody loves some grey! Just ask @giemme 😃.

80th coat of sand on...

ns2FuaL.jpg

see it is lighter!

The wheels have been painted and then received a little touch up.

YbrEALC.jpg

little dry fit of the top turret, it would appear I didn’t sort all of the upper seam 🙄.

Then the turret got its little collar painted on.

BjfOsXd.jpg

More grey!

K5pwV1b.jpg

Then I decided to give the upper surfaces a good rub down with micromesh! Helps level out the surface and gives a better ‘modulation’ to the paint colours.

ONFa6BR.jpg

acnqRqU.jpg

Gleaming!

More grey and wheels on!

BdOFQyl.jpg

Even more grey!! And the lower turret added.

4wXbSkH.jpg

More sand!! 
qiUaByL.jpg

and even more grey!

faMNOe4.jpg

and that’s where we are at! Getting closer and closer.

Rob

• Like 15

Just caught up with the thread from the beginning. Beautiful build of a very nice kit. I'm impressed with the brushed Tamiya paint too. I avoid it because (1) I have been told you can't brush it and (2) because I didn't think it would dilute and clean up with water. Looking forward to seeing more progress...

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I avoid it because (1) I have been told you can't brush it and (2) because I didn't think it would dilute and clean up with water.

Ive done it with water and 70% isopropyl alcohol. I think the iso worked a little better for me ? The water made it a bit clumpy, but looking back i may not have been using enough water ?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive done it with water and 70% isopropyl alcohol.

Thanks for the info. I'm allowed to model in the study as long as I don't make any bad smells (fnarr fnarr, where's @CedB when you need him?) so I may stick to Humbrol and Vallejo. A couple of weeks using the car filler on the Empire Boat nearly got me exiled to the garage!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

And that's me updated too. Nice build and impressive paint. Give it a rub down with a bit of old T shirt. It will smooth out and shine too.

It also makes for a nice surface to apply the decals.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Just caught up with the thread from the beginning. Beautiful build of a very nice kit. I'm impressed with the brushed Tamiya paint too. I avoid it because (1) I have been told you can't brush it and (2) because I didn't think it would dilute and clean up with water. Looking forward to seeing more progress...

Regards,

Adrian

3 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ive done it with water and 70% isopropyl alcohol. I think the iso worked a little better for me ? The water made it a bit clumpy, but looking back i may not have been using enough water ?

I’ve only had success with water, I’ve tried flow improver but it made it sticky, and ruined a typhoon build as the paint never dried! Even after a month! 

I dip the brush in water then give it a little mix in the paint and rub off the excess on the side of the pot, then it should be nice and thin to paint with. If it’s too thin I dip it back in the pot. I will normally give 3-4 coats thin coats followed by touch ups, I find this gives me good coverage, and it levels really nicely. 

I have found VA, mr hobby and mig hard work and don’t cover/level well when brushing, and have poor adhesion, but that’s just me!.

i like to use citadel paints as well, especially their metal shades. And humbrol are easy to paint with but are still a bit think and grainy.

i want to start trying with enamels again but the drying time and smell are an issue, but I do love the depth of colour and how well they level, and they are the smell of childhood!!

Rob

• Like 6

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Massive update Rob - and top notch too! :clap: :clap:

Exactly! :D :D

Ciao

It is rather large isn’t it? I’ve worked a week of through the nights to get the store ready as we came out of Christmas so been working on it while I can’t sleep in the day, but then been too tired to post. Glad you like it.

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

And that's me updated too. Nice build and impressive paint. Give it a rub down with a bit of old T shirt. It will smooth out and shine too.

It also makes for a nice surface to apply the decals.

The old T-shirt is a good shout, I’m running low on micromesh so this is a good option. I try to always micromesh before decals especially on bigger kits with larger surfaces like this one.

51 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

A right painterly job Rob. That finish you've achieved to the colours is most singular. :clap2:

Why thanks very much Tony, I’m glad you like it!

Rob

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

That's some top notch paint work Rob!

Cheers Cookie, that’s very much appreciated!

hopefully I’ll get some time in the next week to finish off the paint work ready for decals 😬 scary stuff!

by the time this is finished it will probably but time for the ‘in the Navy’ GB where I’m planning on building HMS Belfast! I never know the paint scheme was so complicated, I thought it was just grey! But will probably build something small along side it.

Rob

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So the brush painting continues! The undersides need another cote in places, but the upper surface is pretty much done. The whole thing got a polish with an old cotton T-shirt, something I’ve never thought of doing until @Pete in Lincs mentioned it, so thought I would give it a go!

gi8EEW1.jpg

lZdNRkt.jpg

rUrP95X.jpg

9HPkxZ9.jpg

p9UZp8e.jpg

it’s really smoothed it out and given it a nice soft glow, very happy with that trick! Cheers Pete.

sorry the pictures are not great I just could get the auto focus on my phone to play ball! Probably the Aztec looking rug in the background.

Cheers all

Rob

• Like 11

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Splendid finish, Rob - I love it! :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

Cheers giemme, that means a lot.

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Very nice Rob. Old T-shirt you say? Hmmm, I must have one somewhere…

Well, Pete actually said it, but yeah it works rather nicely and is cheaper than micromesh! Cheers Ced.

58 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I've just had a catch up with this too, impressed with what I see, not just the paint work which is amazing & well worth a try out doing as you do. Your work is very neat. :)

Steve.

Good to have you along Steve and thanks for the comments! It’s nice to hear my work to be considered neat, it’s not normally very organised or neat but this build has been better for that and I like how it’s turning out. Glad you like it!

Cheers all!

Rob

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im very impressed by the kit itself. However your work brings it to a next level Rob. I cant wait to see the final reveal for this in RFI.

Thank you! I can’t wait either, hopefully I will get a bit of work on it tonight, but we shall see!

I can highly recommend the kit, it’s great fun to build and pretty hassle free. There are a couple of watch outs e.g. wheel wells and some of the fiddly bits... but overall worth the money.

Rob

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rob85 said:

I can highly recommend the kit, it’s great fun to build and pretty hassle free. There are a couple of watch outs e.g. wheel wells and some of the fiddly bits... but overall worth the money.

Rob

Thanks... Ive been eyeing it up for awhile particularly the C/D version, as I want to do a “Pappy” Gunn strafer. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1