Desert B-25 1/72

rob85

I’m back with more progress! 

today was all about a tiny bit more detail painting and scuffing in the CP and bomb bay, nothing major and adding the bombs

Pb23GyQ.jpg

god that’s an odd angle

and as you can see from the neatly squashed pellet above, I’ve been hiding some nose weight!

q4AH5Jk.jpg

I went with the plan above from @stever219 and hid some in the little tunnel. Should be enough and a lot neater than my last b-25 that ended up with chopped up penny’s every where as that’s all I had!

then the bombs... now dear reader, this is were the kit is let down, the way they look how they are attached is rudimentary and lacking the fine detail of the rest of the kit, more like the b-26 airfix kit (which I still love, and have in the stash)

ZaqvN2K.jpg

and in place

S5JeVkU.jpg

2nVb1GC.jpg

so after letting all that dry... for a few seconds it was time to close up!

tZpg4Ry.jpg

As appears to be the case with all the new airfix kits I’ve encountered the seams appear to be pretty heavy and will need some work once it’s had a long drying time.

as it was drying I put the wings on, they fitted like a glove!
Mh9b0ps.jpg

rOcNzFf.jpg

both sides, now!

aoi6iH0.jpg

vGzBPcU.jpg

rMI50Ld.jpg

And the undersides on, absolutely no fit issues, just a little bit of sanding once dry.

I should have probably taken a few more pictures of the bits I added before closing her up but, I didn’t, so sorry.

I really like that with this kit I can basically build and paint the entire model without having to put any of the glazing on at all, it’s clever, however I am worried about the side panel glazing as it will probably need filler. 

anyway here’s where we are at 

MER9W6m.jpg

next will be getting rid of that seam, there will be a fair amount to do with that and I hope I won’t be too heavy handed and annihilate all the lovely details!

i shall see you all next week, cheers for popping by!

Rob

• Like 14

Excellent progress, Rob! :clap:

Lovely job on the interiors, and I'm glad to hear the fit is just fine. :thumbsup:

Regarding that seam, here's my :2c: worth of advice: I'd run two tape stripes along it, as close as possible to protect the surrounding details and leaving barely the space for the seam. I'd fill it in with CA+flour, wait a few minutes for it to cure and do most of the sanding with the tape in place. I'd remove the tape just before the refining/polishing phase.

HTH

Ciao

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, giemme said:

Excellent progress, Rob! :clap:

Lovely job on the interiors, and I'm glad to hear the fit is just fine. :thumbsup:

Regarding that seam, here's my :2c: worth of advice: I'd run two tape stripes along it, as close as possible to protect the surrounding details and leaving barely the space for the seam. I'd fill it in with CA+flour, wait a few minutes for it to cure and do most of the sanding with the tape in place. I'd remove the tape just before the refining/polishing phase.

HTH

Ciao

Woah hang on, your supposed to refine AND polish as well!! I’m only joking. This sounds a good plan, however (and I feel silly to ask, so be gentle) what is CA? Just super glue or a specific type?

glad you like it, I’m happy it’s coming together!

Rob

• Haha 1

CA = Cyano Acrylate. Yes, superglue. Although I prefer to use a specific one, to wit Loctite, because it flows very well into crevices when used pure, and it dries rock hard when mixed with flour, allowing for rescribing. 

And yes, you need refining and polishing, you lazy kid! :rofl: :rofl:

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Haha 2

Good progress Rob.

When it comes to fitting the side transparencies I found the fit to be surprisingly good, requiring minimal filling and sanding.  From experience I’d suggest leaving the flaps off until main masking and painting has been completed; in fact getting the masking on before installing the engine nacelles makes life easier too.

Airfix have been a bit lazy with the main undercarriage and you may well want to install some bracing struts to help the legs cope with the nose weight (I didn’t with my first and paid the penalty with a collapsed undercarriage).  If you can find @general melchett‘s build in WIP I think he did add bracing.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, CedB said:

Nice work Rob :) 

Cheers Ced, it’s not too bad, I’m happy so far 👍🏻

15 hours ago, giemme said:

CA = Cyano Acrylate. Yes, superglue. Although I prefer to use a specific one, to wit Loctite, because it flows very well into crevices when used pure, and it dries rock hard when mixed with flour, allowing for rescribing. 

And yes, you need refining and polishing, you lazy kid! :rofl: :rofl:

Ciao

Lazy Kid 😂 I wish I was still a kid! If I was I definitely wouldn’t be worrying about seams. I will have to give this method a go, need to look into how it’s done as I’m guessing CA has a very quick drying time 🤔 as always very helpful giemme 👍🏻

14 hours ago, stever219 said:

Good progress Rob.

When it comes to fitting the side transparencies I found the fit to be surprisingly good, requiring minimal filling and sanding.  From experience I’d suggest leaving the flaps off until main masking and painting has been completed; in fact getting the masking on before installing the engine nacelles makes life easier too.

Airfix have been a bit lazy with the main undercarriage and you may well want to install some bracing struts to help the legs cope with the nose weight (I didn’t with my first and paid the penalty with a collapsed undercarriage).  If you can find @general melchett‘s build in WIP I think he did add bracing.

Cheers for the heads up on the flaps, very little masking will be done as I don’t spray I brush paint. And for the front wheel I’ll have a look at what melchie did as I remember seeing his delightful RFI of this kit (and markings, please lower you expectations if you have seen thus build, and once you have lowered them, please do it again before coming back to this thread.), you raise a good point, the front wheel does appear to have little to no support!

12 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Wow, it's B-25 already, nice work Rob!

I really love the shape with its hawk like dihedral to the wings, it’s a quick kit to put together so far, I hope it remains that way!

cheers for the support all.

Rob

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rob85 said:

And for the front wheel I’ll have a look at what melchie did as I remember seeing his delightful RFI of this kit (and markings, please lower you expectations if you have seen thus build, and once you have lowered them, please do it again before coming back to this thread.), you raise a good point, the front wheel does appear to have little to no support!

Not only the nose wheel but the mains also: all that’s supporting them is a 40 thou’ (at most) rib across the roof of the wheel bay and the legs themselves are worryingly flexible.  I’m not going to lower my expectations of your build Rob, you’ve made great progress so far and to a very decent standard, so please keep it up and try to inspire this serial non-finisher of kits.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Airgunner said:

Hi Rob, what colour green are you using for the interior, it’s just what I need for my B-17. 

Well it’s actually Tamiya Olive Drab, XF62 I think, but will check when I get home. It’s not the right colour technically but I like it and have always used in for my us bombers.

Rob

2 hours ago, stever219 said:

Not only the nose wheel but the mains also: all that’s supporting them is a 40 thou’ (at most) rib across the roof of the wheel bay and the legs themselves are worryingly flexible.  I’m not going to lower my expectations of your build Rob, you’ve made great progress so far and to a very decent standard, so please keep it up and try to inspire this serial non-finisher of kits.

I see what you mean now, I found the generals RFI where he explains the issue. It has also shown me I forgot the flipping bomb stencils! So may need to go back and fudge the bottom two bombs! Thanks for that kind words, I’ve been pretty absent from modelling for the last two years and now trying to remedy that with my mojo restored!

Rob

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all, (or maybe morning depending on where you are) 

I have neglected to update you on progress, so this might be a longish one so please bare with me.

first up I added the tail section, it took a little persuading.

hKPWWOU.jpg

Note to all be careful with this bit, my seams had a bit of flash and then needed a good clamping to make it set. Once fully cured I blended the small step in... I will have to go back for a picture though.

Then it was onto that seam. I did want to try @giemme recommendation but I didn’t have any super glue so though I would see how far I got with grades of sanding sticks and micromesh 

E9JqD84.jpg

Though very visible due to paint it’s actually been polished down and can’t be felt with a fingernail, which is my normal test. It will get a further polish before painting.

uSypV0B.jpg

here’s the tail on, it’s not wonky I’m not holding it straight, honest!

Then I fitted the side clear parts, which fit like a glove and have beautifully moulded details

Y7RPHEE.jpg

aFVBYLp.jpg

they will be masked before paint

I then gave the lading gear a go, which isn’t amazingly well built but does have a notch inside the bay that the gear fits inside to give it more support so actually it’s fine for resting on my shelf!

the gear bay is dry fitted in this picture but I have to say they are the only disappointment I have with this kit so far! They are not the best fit.

so first off airfix would have you assemble the whole unit and then just pop it on over the top of the landing gear. The fit if you do this (as it’s actually not that easy to get the whole three parts that make up the gear bay) is gappy at the edges and the rear is mid aligned. Here’s an example....

oU6WLb8.jpg

Z5yb9Lz.jpg

not the worst but still not in keeping with the kit so far... but what’s this!

tcwXL6S.jpg

really poor line up but the forward cowl that attaches to the wings is ok.

JiygbcG.jpg

nWE9UlJ.jpg

the other bay was assembled around the main gear and glued as I went along, with an aim to reduce the gaps, and improve the line up. It’s better but still not great!

vCpx7Y2.jpg

8jg2BZY.jpg

IvPkglQ.jpg

I’ll fill the gaps on the first and polish and blend away the seams in the second, nothing too devastating, just frustrating.

next up we’re the engines and cowl. They are nicely moulded and were painted with mr hobby metal and then polished with a brush to bring out the details. After this they had Tamiya Smoke painted over them to give more of a gloss finish and a weathered look. 

tHBjRWn.jpg

aFRPL27.jpg

then glued together with the gear housing, which I’ve painted grey.

hUm7NzU.jpg

they remind me of something..... 

the cowls has their annoying little bumps added, I hate these things, last time I tried to do them was with my very stalled Boston bomber... they all pinged off. I don’t know why they can’t just be moulded on the cowl, there are two different types, and early one with out them and later with them, so why have them separate?

TkrikFc.jpg

cfWFX7E.jpg

j6zZ4uH.jpg

kIyTMuC.jpg

nerve racking, and a nice glue finger print that needed buffing out 

ETYUGnA.jpg

better

these were then all glued in place

ZQrM02b.jpg

the forward gear is in place and the join is a bit annoying but I think it’s secure... as you can see she is very much a tail sitter, a beautiful one, but still a tail sitter....

now lets talk about flaps, airfix tell you to put them on after the engines, don’t, especially if you doing them down (looking at photos they appear down while a rest so did it that way, but probably I’m wrong) as you can’t then paint or mask the side windows. I’ve only glued the one set of outboard flaps, not the inboard ones, if was doing it again I would leave them off till the end.

more tiding up and then it’s looking dangerously close to paint time! I will add all clear parts at the end as that should be easier.

cheers all sorry it’s a long ramble!

Rob

• Like 15

14 minutes ago, CedB said:

Great update Rob and nice work :) 

Those nasty joins… is there spare plastic on the inside? Had this before. 

Unfortunately not Ced, I checked a number if times while dry fitting. I think the parts that make up the whole gear bay are hard to get into the right shape as there is nothing really supporting their shape internally. Personally think it would have been better to have the bay built with the gear as a separate unit with more internal support that then slots onto the wing. 

it’s all been polished and sanded and looks ok, just needs some light filling to get rid of some gaps.

Cheers

Rob

• Like 2

Great progress, Rob :clap:

As for the seams: I use a white board marker to check them - very effective and doesn't show through primer and paint (as opposed to permanent ink markers). HTH

Ciao

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Nice progress Rob, the engines especially look great, and now that it's been consecrated with a finger print it's sure to be a successful build.

Ha yes, hopefully! It’s been consecrated a few times if I’m honest just this is one I’ve actually shown! So I must gave all the Gods on my side now!

20 hours ago, giemme said:

Great progress, Rob :clap:

As for the seams: I use a white board marker to check them - very effective and doesn't show through primer and paint (as opposed to permanent ink markers). HTH

Ciao

Cunning plan, I will give it a go after I have ‘borrowed’ some from the stationary cabinet!

cheers all

Rob

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

You did nice work on those exhaust bumps.  It is irritating that they have to be added.  Testors molded them right in to the cowling (back in the day) and just provided extra cowls for different versions. I assume that making you add the exhausts is a way for Airfix to save a buck by not molding different cowls. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, opus999 said:

You did nice work on those exhaust bumps.  It is irritating that they have to be added.  Testors molded them right in to the cowling (back in the day) and just provided extra cowls for different versions. I assume that making you add the exhausts is a way for Airfix to save a buck by not molding different cowls. 

If anything moulding the exhaust outlets separately probably cost Airfix a few bob more than incorporating them into the cowling moulding but may have enabled them to produce a more accurately shaped cowling.  Without exhuming mine from the loft I can’t be 1000% certain that there aren’t two different types of cowling in the kit anyway.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stever219 said:

If anything moulding the exhaust outlets separately probably cost Airfix a few bob more than incorporating them into the cowling moulding but may have enabled them to produce a more accurately shaped cowling.  Without exhuming mine from the loft I can’t be 1000% certain that there aren’t two different types of cowling in the kit anyway.

There are two types of cowling, later and the early (Doolittle raid boxing I think) in the kit, and there isn’t a need for these bumps not to be moulded to the cowl. You can’t make another option with them, just being sadistic.... ok that’s probably a bit much (the kit is really enjoyable to be fair).

4 hours ago, opus999 said:

Thanks buddy, I’m happy with them after a clean up. I’ve actually started painting this now but you will all need to wait for a proper update, I’m wiped and have sale to sort out! 

also I think the paint I used is too dark, so might mix my own.

merry Christmas I hope you all got plenty of nice things! And hope your all looking forward to the new year!

Rob

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Rudolf Korachkin said:

Hi Rob!

Any vacant seats for spectators? )

Some terrific kit from Airfix I am about to buy. Excellent build and astonishing performance, way to go, Rob!

I'll tag along

Rudolf

Cheers Rudolf, how are you enjoying the down time? Bet it was a hectic week (sorry I couldn’t resist that, I’m only joking of course! Hope you had a good Christmas) 

thanks for the comment if you planning on building the kit then your in for treat, it’s great! Just be mindful of the gear bays and necklace/cowl. It’s really enjoyable! I’ll pop a pick up of her first coat of paint in a bit!

Also please do tag along, happy to have you here!

Rob

rZlYmrI.jpg

that’s the first coat of Tamiya desert yellow.

BT6GUul.jpg

and the second... too dark I feel but not a bad base. I will mix a lighter shade and go over it. All  painted with a hair stick and Tamiya mixed with water.

Rob

• Like 10