1.48th Revell Camel & SE5 any good ?

keith in the uk

Being a complete novice when it comes to first world war bi planes I just came across the Revell 1.48th Camel and the SE5A kits in Hobby Craft in their Black Friday

sale for £ 10.00 each which seems on the face of it not bad value , however before I hand over my hard earned cash I thought I would ask this forum for a little more info regarding the age of moulds , kit origin , new tool? etc.

Ok chaps , let me have it , good , bad , avoid ???? over too you.

I believe they are reboxing of the Eduard kits,  other recent WW1 kits from revell have been.

Have a look at the Revell site, and the Eduard site for parts layouts to confirm,  if so AFAIK the Eduard kits are decent, but again, a search will turn up more info.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-03906-sopwith-f1-camel--1119692

https://brexitmodeller.com/forums/topic/2113-revell-148-sopwith-camel-03906/

this is actually a re-box of the Eduard tooled kit first released in 2003, 

I assume the Se5 is the same, scalemates shows it as part of the Eduard family

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-03907-british-se-5a--1119693

HTH

As Troy said, ex Eduard, but without the PE. I'd assume they printed seatbelts on the decal sheet but can't confirm.  The Hobbycraft sale does cover the Eduard re-boxings, but be aware that for decades Revell/Monogram also carried Camel and SE5a kits whose origins go back to the late 50s, albeit retooled (insufficiently), so if you later come across Revell boxes and fancy another, make sure you get the right issue. The Albatros Dv/Dva and Spad XIII kits sometimes available is also ex-Eduard, but in this case there is no earlier boxong to confuse it with AFAIK (but then they're not in the Hobbycraft sale eother).

The SE5a  BTW is not just decent, it is state of the art, being a very recent release. The Camel is a bit older but still very good so long as you can live with Eduard's very heavy idea of flying surface rib tapes, which if it bothers you is easily fixed using sandpaper and elbow grease.

Paul.

5 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I believe they are reboxing of the Eduard kits,

Troy,

I might be (and probably am!) wrong, but I think these are reboxed Aurora kits that Monogram acquired and cleaned up the molds to remove the raised lines that indicated where to place the decals. They re-released several of the old Aurora 1/48 WW1 kits back in the day...guess the 'new' Revell is bringing them back, much like the Airfix 'vintage' series of kits. See the Scalemates website for the kitology.

Mike

25 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Troy,

I might be (and probably am!) wrong, but I think these are reboxed Aurora kits that Monogram acquired and cleaned up the molds to remove the raised lines that indicated where to place the decals. They re-released several of the old Aurora 1/48 WW1 kits back in the day...guess the 'new' Revell is bringing them back, much like the Airfix 'vintage' series of kits. See the Scalemates website for the kitology.

Mike

Nope. Superceded by the Eduard kits.  The Scalemates timeline is confusing because (at least for the Camel, which I just checked) it includes the original Aurora kit, and subsequent Monogram release. I presume this is what you looked at. https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-03906-sopwith-f1-camel--1119692   If you go to the Hooby Craft site and look at the reviews of the Camel they mention that it is the Eduard plastic.

Paul.

P.S. Click on the link to the instruction sheet on the Scalemates page, and you can see the Eduard parts on the sprue diagram.

Edited by Paul Thompson
Additional info.
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Troy,

Mike

Have both and they are Eduard through and through.

• Thanks 2