Brewster Buffalo 1, 805 NAS,Lt. Brabner, Crete 1941. (1/48)

jenko

Yet another one of the bench. This time it's the venerable Tamiya kit of the Buffalo. Decals by Print Scale (the national insignia are far to bright and were replaced with offerings from Xtradecal)

These older Tamiya kits are really good value for money as they have added masks an a better decal sheet in them. The kit is basic yes but still goes together like a Tamiya kit.

I believe this is the only game in town for the Buffalo (unless someone knows otherwise) which is a pity as it really does deserve "the up to date" treatment.

On to the pic's. Please feel to comment etc.

Thanks for looking

Dick

DPP_1024

DPP_1025

DPP_1026

DPP_1027

• Like 56

32 minutes ago, jenko said:

I believe this is the only game in town for the Buffalo (unless someone knows otherwise) which is a pity as it really does deserve "the up to date" treatment.

Classic Airframes did a family of them, re done by Special Hobby,  not sure if they covered the F2A-2 though. 

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?fkSECTION[]=All&q=1%3A48+buffalo*

Note the listing of wartime solids in there as well ;) 

Neat and crisp work Dick.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, IanC said:

Very crisp paintwork. Interesting that you chose the FAA instead of the more usual Malayan RAF ones.

I really wish Airfix would do a re-tool of this in 1/72.

I have a thing about FAA aircraft.  Trying to have a collection of all types used.

Am considering therapy 😁

Dick 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

I believe modelling is often used for therapy :whistle:

Looks like I need therapy for the therapy.

Hang on.... Black Friday model sales next week

Sorted.👍😱😇

Edited by jenko
  • Haha 2

Lovely job and nicely finished.  Great work.

I have a Fulmar in the collection which is also lined up for finishing as an aircraft flown by the Right Honourable Member for Hythe to shoot down a Ju88 off Create.  It is to be completed in one of next years GBs I've committed to entering..

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JWM said:

Very interesting!

I did not know about use of Buffalos by RN and use of it in Crete area is more surpriseing to me .... One learn everday :)

Regards

J-W

I'm with J-W on this one Dick! Excellent build of what is still a lovely kit to make.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, jenko said:

I have a thing about FAA aircraft.  Trying to have a collection of all types used.

Am considering therapy 😁

Dick 

I used to be fascinated with the WWI period but have recently shifted focus to the FAA activity in the Pacific theatre. I've just taken delivery of the Tamiya Buffalo kit which I hope to tackle very shortly. If I can emulate something near to the finish on the topic of this thread then I'll be pretty chuffed. Well built!

Very nice ,i was surprised that the FAA used them in Europe .As i have posted a few months ago ,got 6 B B s on the go ,five Tamiya and a Special hobby .

Planning to do 2 RAF Far East ,1 Dutch ,2 USN and the Special Hobby as a Finnish airforce .

Don't know why i like the Buffalo so much , at the start  all i wanted to do was a yellow wings and a Finnish one .

Nice build. I had no idea these were in Crete. If I had I would have one mine that way.  This is one of the best kits to do as a first build. I did it as my first return to hobby build.

Except I complicated it by opening the canopy. Definitely a worthwhile kit. 

I had no idea that the FAA used Brewsters, but yours is a beauty! Looks like the Tamiya kit can still more than hold it own against the newer Classic Airframes/Special Hobby  kits, especially in the hands of a very good modeler, which you most certainly appear to be.

Mike