Spitfire. First time model...need some critque and ways improve

Sunny

Hi,

This is the first time i modelling after about 20 years. I have been concentrating on the engine for a spitfire MVIII and I think i am coming towards the end.  Would appreciate anyones opinion on how i could make it better.   I still need to finish the exhaust, PE frame and final weathering. 

Edit: Base kit is the Eduard Spitfire mk vIII 1/48 kit

N5BZ7Wj.jpg

Ymfexpd.jpg

Edited by Sunny
  • Like 15

That's seriously good as it is.

Some people love it and some hate it, but I like to do a subtle darkish (not black) wash. It helps to give the impression of shadows and highlight the details.

As @Gorby  says, a subtle dark wash will make detail 'pop'

Depends on what type of paint,  for acylic, Tamiya Smoke is often mentioned,  but you can make acrylic washes.

A very fine wash can be made using artists oil paint and thin with lighter fuel, it very volatile and thin, so will flow into every crevice. try burnt umber and black.

A brush dampened with clean lighter fuel will clean off the excess as well.  

As with anything new,  test on scrap first.

careful drybrushing with a slighly lightened version of the grey-green on the engine bearers would also add depth

No scale or base kit given?  Tamiya 1/32nd? 

and, as always, refer to the real thing, some period colour that may help

6317308321_06b57a232a_o.jpgSpitfire maintenance by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

13959591660_06936b5d9e_o.jpg"...bloody thing won't budge.." by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

23237102691_4c73a59bae_o.jpgSpitfire LF Mk. IXe ,  1946. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

12121674534_032b3b9ab3_o.jpgSpitfire Mk.XVI     1945. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

the full set are here

https://www.flickr.com/search/?w=8270787@N07&q=spitfire

from member @Etiennedup  which is a great resource

HTH

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'd be pretty happy with that engine as it stands. The only thing I see is that some of the exhaust stubs are not quite aligned. Careful attention to make sure things are properly aligned goes a long way to achieving a quality build.

Keep up the great work!

Andy

• Like 1

On 23/11/2019 at 09:27, Sunny said:

Hi,

This is the first time i modelling after about 20 years. I have been concentrating on the engine for a spitfire MVIII and I think i am coming towards the end.  Would appreciate anyones opinion on how i could make it better.   I still need to finish the exhaust, PE frame and final weathering. 

Edit: Base kit is the Eduard Spitfire mk vIII 1/48 kit

N5BZ7Wj.jpg

Ymfexpd.jpg

Don't know where you get a 1:1 scale tooth pick from !!

That looks seriously good work bit of a wash to 'separate' the copper pipes maybe ??

• Haha 1