1/48 Airfix P-40B Tomahawk Mk.II 112 Squadron Nth Africa...complete

A beautiful Tomahawk, solid build, the painting and the weathering looks much like most photos depicted those machines. You mention water colours  as one of your weathering tools and that is something I am yet to try. Bravo, lovely model!

Very nice work :) The only one thing to change in a future are wheels - in that scale they should be rather "bloated" not just filled near to ground. Anyway - very good model :)

Excellent. Wonderful paintwork. I especially like the weathering on the upper wing, which is subtle but very realistic. 

Maybe the canopy hood could have had a few scuffs, scrapes too? It looks a bit new.

23 hours ago, Vinnie said:

That's a fine looking Hawk, Mick. The finishing even stands up to close up shots. Well done.

Thanks Vinnie. My only gripe is I didn't reset the colour values on my SLR when I took the photos. The colours are richer than what they appear.

23 hours ago, Holzhamer said:

A beautiful Tomahawk, solid build, the painting and the weathering looks much like most photos depicted those machines. You mention water colours  as one of your weathering tools and that is something I am yet to try. Bravo, lovely model!

Thanks Holzhammer. The benefit with water colours is that if you're not happy with them you can just wipe them away.

22 hours ago, GREG DESTEC said:

Brilliant job👍 

Possibly the best example I've seen of this kit anywhere. 

Well done. 

Cheers Greg

Thanks Greg, it's very generous of you to say that!

21 hours ago, woody37 said:

Stunning, love your weathering technique, what a great inspiration to dig one out of the stash :)

Thanks Woody. Go for it man!

21 hours ago, Konrad said:

Very nice work :) The only one thing to change in a future are wheels - in that scale they should be rather "bloated" not just filled near to ground. Anyway - very good model :)

Thanks Konrad however I can't say I agree with you regarding the bulged wheels. Many of the photos I have of P-40's in North Africa, particularly GA-O, don't have a noticeable bulge a la True Details style. Thanks all the same though.

20 hours ago, phildagreek said:

Nice! 

Thanks Phil.

16 hours ago, DJJunis said:

Mick that is brilliant. Very well done!

All the Best!

Don

Thanks Don. She's one of my favourites now.

15 hours ago, Classic 315 said:

That's really nice - excellent, smooth basic finish, with very well judged weathering. Just right!

Thanks Classic315!

14 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Lovely work, one of the nicest P-40s I've seen.

Pete

Thanks Pete.

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Great work! Very nicely done.   :thumbsup2:

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill.

10 hours ago, spruecutter said:

Very nicely done - a fine looking machine. The weathering is very subtle and realistic. Not one overdone pre-shaded panel line in sight!

Thanks Spruecutter. Yep, no pre-shaded panel lines here, I'm not a fan of tartan quilts!

9 hours ago, IanC said:

Excellent. Wonderful paintwork. I especially like the weathering on the upper wing, which is subtle but very realistic. 

Maybe the canopy hood could have had a few scuffs, scrapes too? It looks a bit new.

Thanks Ian. I agree. Other have said the same thing so I've gone back with some Tamiya brown panel line wash and have applied it to the sliding canopy section. It looks much better.

9 hours ago, RMCS said:

Superb 

Thanks RMCS.

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Now that is a great looking Tomahawk ! :clap2:

Thanks Corsair!

4 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That's a cracker Mick, a great job all round in construction, paintwork, weathering and photography. Ticks all the boxes for me. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Cheers Dave, nothing like a box ticker!

2 hours ago, Tempestwulf said:

A superb job & overall exceptional weathering. Brave to go that deep with the effects, I'm always a bit hesitant lol

The P-40B always looks best in RAF camo

Thanks Tempest. They do look good in RAF colours.

2 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Superb in all aspects!

Thanks John.

• Like 3

This is a very nice build. If I needed more inspiration to finish the Airfix 1/72 kit, this is it. I've got the gunze paints for this too. I like the slightly green cast on it.

Alan