Airfix Vulcan B1... Sort Of

This is my latest completed model, an unusual Vulcan B1. This is based on an Airfix kit that I got second hand, and intended to restore and convert to the earlier variant. This project failed, so- much like the a number of the real things- this is what I salvaged from it.

0af676044fa875ed36adc997e4909da5.jpg

I misplaced the stand I had for it... I'll add more photos when I find it or get another

cbb4dadde7989fc4d4d6de1c8a4e094c.jpg

The model represents a fictional survivor, not a real one. Amongst other things I wanted free reign on the weathering and colour scheme.

a0b9cdef1a70e919985916c37a95e323.jpg

I'm rather pleased with how the wood came out. It is actual wood, but it's painted

98d345a82b4dc33f9c330f9cb38cd358.jpg

Credit to @robvulcan as it was his similar build of a much better kept cockpit that inspired this one.

The WIP thread can be viewed here ^^

And Rob's build here ^^

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 26

9 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

Very unique subject. Really nice 👍

Thanks :) not quite unique but I work on a basis of close enough 😂

4 minutes ago, janneman36 said:

Great ,  make it a diorama like it is in somebody’s  backyard 😎

cheers, Jan

When I get a new, larger display case that should fit a pair of V Bombers side by side I might try to make it look like each level is a different part of a fictional museum, mostly consisting of aircraft that no longer exist (with a few that still survive most likely). A museum with glass floors of course.

That just gave me the idea for the bottom level to be like an outdoors area... I love going all out on the weathering like I did here so maybe.... Maybe I should... Would give me an excuse to build in that style a lot. 

• Thanks 1

I love the idea of making this into an outside museum diorama. 

An ace bit of work. It might be worth dry brushing a little grey and green onto the wood so it looks a little more manky but equally it doesn't need it, as white paint always goes horrid faster than anything else.